New Topic Respond to this Topic
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:19 AM Reply

Hey art forum! Long time post. Welcome to round 2 of my musical cover art mini competition!

The winner from the previous competition was MurphysFlaw! Congrats, I finally got around to officially announcing the winner, hahah. You can see his winning art by checking out my profile picture with the green haired girl with headphones. Yeah. he drew that. Seriously some top notch stuff. Thank you so much man!

As suggested before, I'll simply choose the art that I like best to be used as cover art for one of my tracks. Or album. You can check out my music through my profile page(arranged with my music as the top category) or hear my latest song Bass Science at soundcloud.com/cabbster . This is mainly to have a reference of my history but does in no way reflect the quality of my recent projects that I've been spending serious amounts of time and effort to make. Just a thought. Bass science took me 50 hours to make. My current project in progress, twice as long I've been working on, mostly just experimenting with sound, and everything else to get a nice sound with actual feelings attached to it. No more bullshitting after this point. Do or die

why should I contribute?

This is a collaboration of the arts, in two visual assets. Music enhances art, and vice versa. To get right down to it I will be submitting my song as a demo to a particular HardStyle label that followed my soundcloud recently. As you may know, different art can be submitted to each individual song, and is the only visual besides the waveform.

uhh that didn't answer my question: why?

Well there's many reasons. If you want more people to pay attention to your art, or if you want to practice your collaborative skill then now's your chance. Or if you simply want input. Whatever. Or if you just want to help me out a bit.

any reason why you don't just contact people's art that you like individually to collaborate?

It would take too long to garner a response i need while excluding the potential artists that can test their mettle against the odds of artistic struggle. Plus a lot of people just browse these forums to try a little challenge. I know I do that for the audio portal myself.

The rules

I want you to draw Layers.. I want you to use your skill, imagination, and creativity to draw it any way you can.

I'm not being specific here, so I can truly see the originality of the forum posters here if they decide to participate.

anything else?

Probably. I might have messed up explaining somewhere. You can pm me for clarification or just ask here. I'm hoping the submissions will greatly outweigh the discussions, due to the fact that its a mini competition. Though there's no deadline (basically when the thread dies its over). I'll be constantly checking for submissions over the week and give input on what I think depending on the volume of submissions. Then I'll decide on a winner, give a little announcement for who wins, then use it as cover art for my next song.

wall of text deactivated

Well that's it. Summed up, my music will be a platform for your art. In other words, your art of layers will consequently be layered onto my music

Seeing a creation through the lense of an artist will always make you think. That's what makes it art.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:06 PM Reply

Hopefully le wall of text didn't scare you guys off. Contest is to draw layers. Here's an awesome pic of the last winner (on my phone, forgot to have a base pic). Thanks again Murphy's flaw and everyone else who contributed! :0

Cabbster's green girl thread round2

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:07 PM Reply

One more by him. For funsies.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 05:19 AM, Cabbster wrote:
uhh that didn't answer my question: why?
Well there's many reasons. If you want more people to pay attention to your art, or if you want to practice your collaborative skill then now's your chance. Or if you simply want input. Whatever. Or if you just want to help me out a bit.

So you're looking for a free CD cover design?

Can't you just use the girls which you got from your last thread?

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 06:31 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Can't you just use the girls which you got from your last thread?

Well it's a different song. You can draw something if you want. I'm not sitting here expecting some insane amount of work for free. Just a little doodle or something will do. as long as its self inspired. Regardless. Idk. I will def do a cash prize but I'll probably do that for round 3 depending on the response for this one.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 09:50 PM, Escalus wrote: instead of cheating them through a contest that only benefits you?

Eugh. Needless to say I'm a growing artist, and I want to reach out to the NG art community with a proposal. I'm not sitting here getting paid for my music Scamming artists for "free drawings". I'm working towards the goal of it being good enough to be worth something to begin with. I invite you to go along with me. If you think getting another drawing in your portfolio only benefits me then you're obviously too good for this thread so don't bother.

Eh one last note since I'm kinda mad at you. I never sold a song. I have about 50 "free", full, downloadable songs. not a single buy or donate option. Practice makes perfect. So I'm giving an opportunity to practice here. If you see it as some other secret sceme... Fuck that. I'm way too dumb to do that shit. I'll use it though. Can't say that the art posted here never be seen again by a human eye. At least I'm good for that. God damn.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:46 AM Reply

I appreciate what you are trying to do, but unfortunately some artist's see these "my product = free promotion for you if you just give me your art to put on it" as a way of getting free work. Why is your promotion worth my free work? Likes, fans, testimonials can all I be faked. Just as we show our portfolio you need to show us what you're made of with a professional portfolio and a client list. Then maybe you will stand out from the spammers as a person worth working with.

Because you are growing does not make your, nor another artist's work less valuable. One of the first rules for me is never give free work, all my "free" time is thoroughly dedicated to study drawings. I am not sure how others feel about this. Your work is what you make it, you think you're worth free? Then everyone else will assume you're worth free too.

You have no reason to be mad, NG is a community full of honest individuals. We cannot coddle you with sugar coated sentences, you'll still be offended if that's what you're taking from this. An issue is you already have one of these threads, your older one should have been bumped since you have legitimate reason to bump it being this "new song". We don't like our forums being filled with the same topic but a different title.

My last words are, it's not a good idea slandering yourself on your own promotional thread. If I had wanted to work with you minus what anyone else said, I definitely wouldn't now.

Now, stop ripping yourself off and good luck.

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:49 AM Reply

Oh, and one more thing. I understand you're saying you're willing to take anything even if it's just a doodle, because obviously you're wanting the work to be free. Well I'm telling you right now that "free" work will keep your cd's "free" too. Think about it, you only get out what you put in.

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 1/23/13 10:46 AM, ChildSafetyLid wrote: I appreciate what you are trying to do, but unfortunately some artist's see these "my product = free promotion for you if you just give me your art to put on it" as a way of getting free work.
Because you are growing does not make your, nor another artist's work less valuable. One of the first rules for me is never give free work, all my "free" time is thoroughly dedicated to study drawings.
An issue is you already have one of these threads, your older one should have been bumped since you have legitimate reason to bump it being this "new song".

Being careful not to run this topic into the ground:

One of the things Newgrounds likes to encourage is integation with other parts of the site. So if he's providing free music, and wants somebody to provide something to jazz it up, he has every right. There are a few people who would draw something out of good will, especially to a regular NG contributor.

But you're right that "free promotion" as payment is more likely to make people ask questions and put them off, especially since the previous "winning" design hasn't been distributed around.

It's up to the users if they want to partake, but I reckon it'd be like trying to squeeze the last few drops of lemon juice out of an already squashed lemon. There's a few decent images in the previous thread that'd be worth a revisit.

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 01:58 AM Reply

TurkeyonaStick

Thanks for the link, and for supporting the thread! I guess I was a little too wordy on this one so I got only the lawyers interested. But it's a good feeling to collab and you get a strange feeling when you're actually doing it. It's okay if you guys don't post or whatever, still thankful for my last threads outcome, even though I came up short doing something useful with all of them. The outcome and submissions where overwhelming. Thought it could happen again. That's the truth, yeah. But I still love you guys, and I'll still check on this thread just in case.

drawing layers must be too big of a challenge apparently ;)

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 1/25/13 01:58 AM, Cabbster wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but what do you mean when you say drawing layers? That's so incredibly vague.
Layers of a cake? Layers of an onion? Layer hens?

maficmelody
maficmelody
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 25th, 2013 @ 01:05 PM Reply

Maybe things that have layers, like ogres

At 1/25/13 08:24 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/25/13 01:58 AM, Cabbster wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but what do you mean when you say drawing layers? That's so incredibly vague.
Layers of a cake? Layers of an onion? Layer hens?
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

Lemme give you an example. My personal interpretation of layers. Btw my song is up. It's just a demo but you'll get an idea of it. Soundcloud.com/cabbster. Full version will be posted soon. I'd do it now but I have some things to fix and uploading limitations.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 10:35 PM, Cabbster wrote: Lemme give you an example. My personal interpretation of layers.

All you did was write the word layers with audio.
So basically you're giving the vaguest concept ever and asking people to draw something for you?

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:06 AM Reply

At 1/26/13 11:52 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 1/26/13 10:35 PM, Cabbster wrote: Lemme give you an example. My personal interpretation of layers.
So basically you're giving the vaguest concept ever and asking people to draw something for you?

Man you really don't know how long that took me to make. Seriously. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what kind of effort I put into things.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
MajesticBob
MajesticBob
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 02:52 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 02:06 AM, Cabbster wrote:
At 1/26/13 11:52 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
Man you really don't know how long that took me to make. Seriously. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what kind of effort I put into things.

While Jonny was blunt, he has a point. He did not bash your effort. He critiqued your concept of "Layers" as you are extremely vague. So is that the jumping off point? Is it supposed to be audio themed? I mean using equipment to spell out the word Layer? Listen I know nothing of the music/audio world. So first time I saw "Layers" I thought of Photoshop. Then I was like "How the fuck do I translate that? Take screenshot of PS full of layer tabs?" As someone else put it, it could have been onion, cake, blankets. It seems by your example you want a play off words pertaining to the technical term in Audio or at least I guessing, you being a musician and all. Did it ever occur to you using an audio term in an art forum may not translate well? I actually want to try my hand but I have no clue what you wanted. Then when you showed your example I was like "Welp, don't know enough about music/audio to top that." So try not to be so defensive. A little less vague. A whole lot more patient. I wish you luck.

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 03:39 AM Reply

Bla bla I'm really good at music bla bla please kill me. This thread fucking blows.. Please just post something instead of. Thinking about it so much. Otherwise idk what to say. Sorry. Fuck.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 03:41 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 03:39 AM, Cabbster wrote: Bla bla I'm really good at music bla bla please kill me. This thread fucking blows.. Please just post something instead of. Thinking about it so much. Otherwise idk what to say. Sorry. Fuck.

Also, Yeah

idk

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 1/27/13 03:39 AM, Cabbster wrote: Bla bla I'm really good at music bla bla please kill me. This thread fucking blows.. Please just post something instead of. Thinking about it so much. Otherwise idk what to say. Sorry. Fuck.

If I were you, I would do everything required to resist bringing this post back onto the front page. We're not here to breast feed you.

TheChomper
TheChomper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 28th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

I drew LAYERS.

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Cabbster's green girl thread round2 Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

At 1/28/13 01:40 AM, TheChomper wrote: I drew LAYERS.

Cool thanks. I'm using this.

[Hell Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy