New Topic Respond to this Topic
Clueless-queen
Clueless-queen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:22 AM Reply

anybody have any tips or tutorials for inking in photoshop? I am learning to draw on a tablet and my inking...well...it sucks lol any help would be appreciated. Thank you. oh and here is a pic just for fun

inking tutorials?

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:48 AM Reply

Really getting the tablets pressure sensitivity to work for you will really help a lot. Try setting the size to pressure in your brush setting and see how that works for you.

I'd give you more, but my time is short this morning. I'll drop off some tuts after work

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

Remember to use a variety of thick and thin lines to get the best illusion of depth if you're going for inking~

Good luck with the tablet, it takes some time getting use to. Though with more practice it'll be just like using a regular pen!

Thick/thin exampling:

inking tutorials?

• Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:35 AM, gayhobbit wrote: Remember to use a variety of thick and thin lines to get the best illusion of depth if you're going for inking~

Good luck with the tablet, it takes some time getting use to. Though with more practice it'll be just like using a regular pen!

Thick/thin exampling:

Oh wow that's nice.
Such a little line work makes this just go from doodle to professional looking

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Clueless-queen
Clueless-queen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 04:18 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:35 AM, gayhobbit wrote: Remember to use a variety of thick and thin lines to get the best illusion of depth if you're going for inking~

Thick/thin exampling:

thanks. yeah Im used to inking on paper...going from to the tablet it very different ^^

Clueless-queen
Clueless-queen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:48 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Really getting the tablets pressure sensitivity to work for you will really help a lot. Try setting the size to pressure in your brush setting and see how that works for you.

I'd give you more, but my time is short this morning. I'll drop off some tuts after work

thanks! I will look forward to seeing them :D

Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 07:41 AM Reply

and... like an ass, I completely forgot about this thread until this morning.
Although it seems everyone else is helping out just fine. So I guess its not such a big deal.

Anyway
Here is a couple tuts that more or less explain line weight and what it does. Having a good understanding how to use line weight is key to good inking.
in this first one, I personally find the girl narrating annoying, but it is pretty informative, and she does go through and show you the process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt8w8V81Loc

This second one... you'll have some reading to do. (oh no...) but it does contain some good info and some good photos to show you how things are done
Link here

Now, although in both of these the artist is using a traditional medium, all the same principles are used in digital works. Just be happy that a tablet will make it easier in the end,

From there on out, its all practice, and lots of it.
So don't give up, and keep working.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
Clueless-queen
Clueless-queen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to inking tutorials? Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

Thanks!
I will check em out for sure!

Lucky
Lucky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to inking tutorials? Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:14 PM Reply

What I suggest is to study artists whos inking you admire. For example I can use Frazetta
I havent studied his inks before, but if I would here's a good refference I'd use
http://comicattack.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/witz_art_f razetta.jpg
So I'd do 1 pass where i'd copy this to study the composition by breaking it down into shapes
1 pass where its broken down into the solid shapes the characters use
and after photocopy the shapes pass and practice copying the inking on it.
What you find is you start to realize why they use specific strokes as you're doing the same strokes
For example
the muscles are shown in a very lose way as to indicate they're popping out, they're flesh they're not as solid as the outlines. There are gaps in the top of the drawing while there are heavy lines on the bottom as to indicate where the sunlight hits.
The background objects have massive chunks missing in them as to almost indicate a desert in the background... There is an imbalance of dark tones where the main source of black is on the bottom left so as to have the first focal point the characters.... and you can keep going like that.

This way you learn the most I think because you're analysing things yourself and it makes it a lot easier to remember when you're inking your own stuff than if you tutorial how to ink great anime eyes or something generic like that.