New Topic Respond to this Topic
MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:13 AM Reply

When I normally use FL Studio, I use my speakers, and I use the "ASIO4ALLv2" input for my speakers, and I get perfect clear audio without any stutters or lag occurring. But when I plug in my headphones, the only input that works with the headphones is "Headphones High Definition Audio Drive"

But as soon as I plug in my headphones and select my headphone input in FL Studio, the audio starts to skip around like crazy and lag. So what the hell can I do? Am I going to have to be forced to use my speakers to produce?

headphones causing audio lag.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:29 AM Reply

Do your speakers have a headphone jack? Or are you using the headphone jack on your tower?

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:34 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 01:29 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Do your speakers have a headphone jack? Or are you using the headphone jack on your tower?

No headphone jack on my speakers. I plug my headphones into my computer.

DylnMatrix
DylnMatrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 02:25 AM Reply

Is "HPOut" active in ASIO? That's how I get my headphones to work with ASIO running and it works fine.

You say that only the Headphone option in FL works with your headphones, and I just want to see if the HPOut option is active before I ramble on about something you already know.

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Artist
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:51 AM Reply

It's probably best if you stick to speakers if you can. If you want your sound to be fuller. Headphones seriously compact sounds and make it unnaturally full. The second it's played on speakers then you'll definitely notice too big of a difference. I'm only speaking of course if you're talking about producing top quality stuffs. Stick to the headphones for mixing turntables but just be aware it's one of the bigger impediments of production quality and choice. Can't tell you how many obvious discrepancies I've had with producing with headphones in general. I hated alot of my tracks because of the imbalances in volume levels (especially bass). Figured something was wrong instantly when I listened on my actual speakers..

Tldr if you have problems with headphone lag then just use speakers if you have no problem doing that. So I don't have to listen to your music on headphones exclusively as well :)

_ _
\ /\ /

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 04:58 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 03:51 AM, Cabbster wrote: Lots of good stuff

Except that idealy you should mix using both. Swap between the two every now and then to get a fresh perspective on the whole mix.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

my experience is that usb headphones/headsets don't play nicely with asio4all

p.s. i am gay

garlagan
garlagan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

i don't have asio4all installed so i can't take a screenshot myself but i found this image which shows what i wanted to.
this link might help as well: http://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/recording_audi o_USBmic.htm

MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:10 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 02:25 AM, DylnMatrix wrote: Is "HPOut" active in ASIO? That's how I get my headphones to work with ASIO running and it works fine.

You say that only the Headphone option in FL works with your headphones, and I just want to see if the HPOut option is active before I ramble on about something you already know.

Where can I check for this option? I don't see it anywhere

DylnMatrix
DylnMatrix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 03:10 PM, MatrixGravity wrote:
At 1/21/13 02:25 AM, DylnMatrix wrote: Is "HPOut" active in ASIO? That's how I get my headphones to work with ASIO running and it works fine.

Where can I check for this option? I don't see it anywhere

Maybe I have a different soundcard or something, but for me it's in the "IDT High Definition Audio Codec". If it is active then go to your mixer and, in the master channel, change the output to "HPOut 1-HPOut 2".

I'm not audio savvy at all, so hopefully this works for you. The others seem to have other ideas as well, from what I read skimming through, so I hope they can help you fix your problem.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to headphones causing audio lag. Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 01:13 AM, MatrixGravity wrote: When I normally use FL Studio, I use my speakers, and I use the "ASIO4ALLv2" input for my speakers, and I get perfect clear audio without any stutters or lag occurring. But when I plug in my headphones, the only input that works with the headphones is "Headphones High Definition Audio Drive"

But as soon as I plug in my headphones and select my headphone input in FL Studio, the audio starts to skip around like crazy and lag. So what the hell can I do? Am I going to have to be forced to use my speakers to produce?

Hopefully I'm on the ball with this one... Here it goes:

Okay so basically your headphones are acting as the audio interface for FL Studio. Ideally, you want to use the ASIO4ALL and plug headphones into your COMPUTER'S input so that way you can get significantly less lag.

In the case of the USB headphones or whatever you are using, it's utilizing the power of the "soundcard" within the actual headphones themselves, which you can't re-configure to use something like ASIO4ALL...

You might want to invest in headphones that connect via 1/4" or even 1/8" inputs so you can make use of ASIO4ALL or any other external audio interfaces you may acquire in the future.

Also someone mentioned it earlier, you should use speakers if you have good monitoring speakers. Headphones are used in the studio mostly for reference.

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature