• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-20 22:20:55 Reply

Hello guys,

Would just like some feedback, both good and bad, regarding thefollowing:

- Visual design?
- How easy are the profiles to navigate?
- Do you like the icons?
- Is everything laid out ok?
- What would you improve?
- Is it easy to grasp what the profiles are about at a quick glance?

I'm looking for feedback specifically regarding the profiles (not the site in general but if you want to you can):
http://www.coderprofile.com/coder/VBAssassin

Thanks,
Scott

VanDiest
VanDiest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-21 00:15:24 Reply

At 1/20/13 10:20 PM, VBAssassin wrote: Hello guys,

Would just like some feedback, both good and bad, regarding thefollowing:

- Visual design?

Design is very nice, professional, and simple.

- How easy are the profiles to navigate?

Extremely easy, atleast for me.

- Do you like the icons?

The icons on the side navigation are very nicely designed and are a good indicator of what the page is suppose to show. The only one I can't figure out is the icon for "Blog Posts", is it a house, or an arrow? im not exactly sure.

- Is everything laid out ok?

I think the "Home Page" tab on the profile is a bit messy and clustered. At first glance I couldn't differentiate what was what.

- What would you improve?

continuing what I said above, I'd improve the Home Page tab by some how trying to make it less clustered, maybe not having 2 columns for the content?

- Is it easy to grasp what the profiles are about at a quick glance?

aside from the "Home Page" tab, yes everything is easy to grasp.

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 03:22:53 Reply

Not bad! I really like it. I might have to get a profile on there. :)

The only thing I noticed was on the home page, where the header says "Exclusive For Coders". I'm not an expert on English grammar, but shouldn't it be "Exclusively For Coders" or "Exclusive To Coders"?

Very impressed with the site, though, but maybe implement more ajax in areas where a page reload isn't really necessary? For instance, while just clicking around in the user profiles, it seems that you could reduce server demand quite a bit by only reloading the necessary content, because a huge portion of the page remains unchanged.

Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 07:17:29 Reply

I like this. It's clean, has a good view over the things and minimalistic. It's also very user friendly.

VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 13:43:46 Reply

:it seems that you could reduce server demand quite a bit by only reloading the necessary content, because a huge portion of the page remains unchanged.

I chose not to use AJAX so much for the public facing content due to how much harder it is for search engines to find the content and index it.

Thanks for the replies :) love to see any of you over their, if you do decide to join, leave me a message on my message board (contact page) and prob see you in the forums. I'm going to try promote the site soon but just getting feedback first - mainly from programmers. I would love for anyone to help if you have some spare time, even if it's just in creating a profile :) the forums could do with a bump as well if anyones interesting in helping get a programming forum active?

Also, on a side note, i didn't think anyone had replied to this topic until i checked it today. Is there a way to get replies emailed to me in the future?

Pilot-Doofy
Pilot-Doofy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 15:08:16 Reply

The best part about signing up in the infancy of websites is to get awesome usernames. I'm listed under Dan. :)

VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 16:24:50 Reply

At 1/24/13 03:08 PM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: The best part about signing up in the infancy of websites is to get awesome usernames. I'm listed under Dan. :)

Haha, that's very true. I did the same with gmail when it was invites only :) I've sent you a Instant Messenger chat request by the way on the site.

InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 16:34:27 Reply

NERDS

BBS Signature
InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 17:01:44 Reply

omg it looks beautiful

BBS Signature
VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 17:10:51 Reply

At 1/24/13 05:01 PM, InnerChild548 wrote: omg it looks beautiful

Eh?

VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 17:21:09 Reply

At 1/24/13 03:22 AM, Pilot-Doofy wrote: The only thing I noticed was on the home page, where the header says "Exclusive For Coders". I'm not an expert on English grammar, but shouldn't it be "Exclusively For Coders" or "Exclusive To Coders"?

I wondered that, i wasnt to sure, tried googling it and it seemed to suggest wat i put :/

Momo-the-Monkey
Momo-the-Monkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Musician
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 18:51:22 Reply

At 1/24/13 05:21 PM, VBAssassin wrote: I wondered that, i wasnt to sure, tried googling it and it seemed to suggest wat i put :/

The titles like "Blog Posts" and "Source Code" could be a bit bigger or bold.

Also, "Exclusive For Coders" sounds more like the content was created for coders, while "Exclusive To Coders" sounds like coders are the only ones who can access this content. Does that make sense? I dunno, it just have a different connotation.

Hello, from the past! [ PHP: Main ]

BBS Signature
VBAssassin
VBAssassin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The good, the bad, the ugly? 2013-01-24 20:11:43 Reply

At 1/24/13 06:51 PM, Momo-the-Monkey wrote:
At 1/24/13 05:21 PM, VBAssassin wrote: I wondered that, i wasnt to sure, tried googling it and it seemed to suggest wat i put :/
The titles like "Blog Posts" and "Source Code" could be a bit bigger or bold.

Also, "Exclusive For Coders" sounds more like the content was created for coders, while "Exclusive To Coders" sounds like coders are the only ones who can access this content. Does that make sense? I dunno, it just have a different connotation.

Actually, I agree! I never read it like that until you just said it! Damn it. Adding that to the to do list.