New Topic Respond to this Topic
PotensVeneficus
PotensVeneficus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 21:23:07 Reply

I basically started making audio about a month ago. I have developed a passion for the creation of almost any form of music by my own hand. I play Alto Sax, Trumpet, Piano, and Flutaphone, but I have little to no understanding of basic music theory. I need help with things such as chord progressions and giving my songs a fuller, richer feel to them. I use LMMS, which I have little to no understanding of. So any help catering to the most uninformed/ignorant of people pertaining to the use of LMMS, and the application of basic music theory is much appreciated. I have an audio submission on my page, and an alternate page known as "Ghostbishop" with two additional audio submissions for you to judge and decide were my areas of musicality start to falter.

TL;DR- I suck at making music, and I need help :3

Steam ID- Snide Sphinx

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 21:54:05 Reply

I'm suck at music too.

Googled and found http://www.musictheory.net/ , might help

TROctavia
TROctavia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 22:38:37 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:54 PM, Elitistinen wrote: I'm suck at music too.

Googled and found http://www.musictheory.net/ , might help

This should be a pretty good start to understanding music theory. I would suggest that after getting very comfortable with the information on that site, you should really start looking at scores of pieces in a genre you like, and start experimenting with chord progressions (Keep in mind, different chord progressions are better/more commonly used in different genres).
If you still find that you need help with anything involving theory, you can always send me a PM, because I've taken four years of theory class and so I think I can probably be of service.

JayenareMusic
JayenareMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 23:13:55 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:23 PM, PotensVeneficus wrote: I basically started making audio about a month ago. I have developed a passion for the creation of almost any form of music by my own hand. I play Alto Sax, Trumpet, Piano, and Flutaphone, but I have little to no understanding of basic music theory. I need help with things such as chord progressions and giving my songs a fuller, richer feel to them. I use LMMS, which I have little to no understanding of. So any help catering to the most uninformed/ignorant of people pertaining to the use of LMMS, and the application of basic music theory is much appreciated. I have an audio submission on my page, and an alternate page known as "Ghostbishop" with two additional audio submissions for you to judge and decide were my areas of musicality start to falter.

TL;DR- I suck at making music, and I need help :3

You improve your music by making it. Make your music, publish it, get feedback, improve. Learn a little about music theory. You don't need to learn how to read notes, you just need to understand how music operates.

NinjaGuy
NinjaGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-20 23:52:57 Reply

You probably know more theory than you think, learn the extent of notation, learn what chords are, and then learn to build them by ear and definition.

BBS Signature
jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-21 00:45:32 Reply

The melody has variation, and has a phrase. I wouldn't put yourself down too bad. I would however work a lot on your production skills. Learning about the dynamics of a song. I have heard some really great music on NG, and I have learned a lot by listening to other artists. This helped me especially in learning how mastering, EQ, compression, and stereo imaging mean a GREAT deal in creating a decent piece of work. I think your ideas are good, and you have a good mind for the foundation of music. Now you need to add the bells and whistles that make music more presentable as digital media.

~J

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-21 04:21:01 Reply

- listen a lot of music;
- be inspired by someone or make your own fresh style;
- be patience;
- study some theory, it doesn't hurt;
- learn playing some instruments, it can help;
- keep trying, experimenting, etc, you can't sit and say "today i'm gonna make music";

I guess that is all, also
- listen my song lol

SUCK MY KICK

JCoolAudio
JCoolAudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Help for a new musician? 2013-01-21 10:12:19 Reply

Yeah, keep listening to music, peforming and practicing music, and composing/ mixing music...It doesn't hurt to sit down on the keys and figure out songs you like, too. This will give you a sense of how chords work. Most pop songs are basically in one key--Almost all the chords and melody usually fall into one scale--Sometimes they modulate for a bit, but that's basically how it works. Find the scale the song is in, figure out the chords it uses, and build a melody. What you GL!