Haris
Haris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

Surely no lol
Lets say Mediafire removes the files that are cousing problems. Let's say a Minecraft crack, they remove it because it's not allowed to pirate Minecraft, but they keep files like let's say a car modification for GTA IV so in my opinion it won't be long til they face problems..

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 09:16 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote: Suppose I buy a CD. Then I lend it it to a different friend every other week so they can make their own copies. Are we stealing from the artist? I'll make it more difficult: What if they don't make copies, but just listen to it? According to some people, the artist is now a victim of theft since although a purchase of the CD was made, it is being listened to/used by other people who did not buy their own.

According to no one. A performance piece can be purchased for both personal use and use with close relations, including friends. It is once that piece is either performed in a commercial capacity or given away to strangers that the license to use it has been overstepped.

What if I made, say, 10 copies just for myself. Am I "stealing" 10 additional purchases from the artist even though the copies are all for me and I'm not selling/distributing them to anyone?

Again, no.

By this logic, lending and borrowing are against the law because the amount of people using said product is greater than the number of people who made the purchase.

Again, NO.

Dammit people. This is getting annoying. The rules ARE CLEAR AND SIMPLE. Cannot give it away indiscriminately, cannot copy and give it away (save any exception in the license), and cannot perform/play it in a commercial capacity. Those require diffferent licenses. How hard is it for you guys to understand this? Is your hatred for those with money so strong that you immediately throw thinking out the window and go out of your way to bury your head in your ass?

Here are some examples.

You can buy a CD/ITunes album with Happy Birthday on it.
You can sing Happy Birthday to a group of accquaintances or friends.
You can resell your CD/album.
You can gift your CD/Album.
You can make as many personal use copies as you like.*

You cannot sing Happy Birthday to customers in any capacity.**
You cannot copy your CD/album and sell it.
You cannot copy your CD/album and give it away.***

* - unless speicifcally instructed otherwise
** - unless you have a performance license
*** - I believe there may some exceptions for very close gifts, such as to members of the same household.

Finally, NO you're not going to find a situation where a simple and morally acceptable transaction is not allowed. Stop trying.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:33 PM Reply

Information is free though...

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:45 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 03:28 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
Finally, NO you're not going to find a situation where a simple and morally acceptable transaction is not allowed. Stop trying.

When you start backing up your legal arguments with the word "morally" you lose.

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:13 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:45 PM, poxpower wrote: When you start backing up your legal arguments with the word "morally" you lose.

That wasn't a legal argument. That was a true statement, that you're not going to find any innocent and good faith act that is prohibited by copyright law. Trust me, there has been more than enough attempts to both extend and shrink copyright protection beyond it's acceptable means and none (with one exeption) have succeeded.

The exception being the legislative extension of copyrights long beyond their usefulness.

There are numerous points that need to be addressed by the pro-piracy club.

- 1 - Why an act on the internet magically becomes legal when it would be illegal in the real world.
- 2 - Why a crime is justifiable if you don't like the person you think you're harming, or you dont think it will harm them.
- 3 - The false sense that it is the established musicians and the music publishing corporations that get hurt, instead of the reality where new musicians and the employees of the publishing companies get hurt.

Unless ALL THREE points can be explained away, piracy is a crime, just like counterfieting, and should be treated as such.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:16 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 05:33 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Information is free though...

Information is free, art is not.

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:30 PM Reply

At 1/23/13 07:13 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
any innocent and good faith act

Yeah, for instance I can't use copyrighted characters in a game I make.
Even fan games. Even on my stupid website I've had people ask me to take down images which I just got from Google. Newgrounds has gotten many threats of lawsuits over the years for serving free fan-made content that used copyrighted material.
The whole world of indy games and small youtube video producers is plagued by this.

On the other hand, you have a company like Rifftrax that makes audio tracks that go over existing movies to make fun of them. Their product is worthless unless you own / use copyrighted material which they themselves do not own. ( For example, they will make a track that you play over Iron Man while you watch it ).

And again, "innocent" is simply defined as "legal". It's a tautology to say "You won't find any legal things that aren't legal".
You define "good faith" in the same way.

- 1 - Why an act on the internet magically becomes legal when it would be illegal in the real world.

No one's arguing whether it's legal or illegal.
The legality of these actions are a completely moot point. What we question is WHETHER OR NOT it should be illegal. Not if it currently is or not.

- 2 - Why a crime is justifiable if you don't like the person you think you're harming, or you dont think it will harm them.

Again your entire argument hinges solely on a tautological statement whereby you have declared that this is "illegal" and therefore wrong and a crime.

Using this line of logic, no new law could ever be passed and no existing law could be changed.

- 3 - The false sense that it is the established musicians and the music publishing corporations that get hurt, instead of the reality where new musicians and the employees of the publishing companies get hurt.

You've yet to show how piracy actually hurts society.
You act as if it gave nothing back. Yeah, Bono's songs can be stolen, but what he gets in return is that he can steal any song or movie.

This trade is bad for like 0.00001% of society and AMAZINGLY GOOD for 99.9999%.

BBS Signature
MultiCanimefan
MultiCanimefan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Jan. 24th, 2013 @ 03:55 AM Reply

At 1/23/13 03:28 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/22/13 09:16 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
Is your hatred for those with money so strong that you immediately throw thinking out the window and go out of your way to bury your head in your ass?

Who hates people with money? I certainly don't.

Here are some examples.

But why can't I do any of what you listed as prohibited? It's morally wrong because it's "theft?" But it's not theft.

At 1/23/13 05:33 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Information is free though...
Information is free, art is not.

If art really wasn't free, copyrights and patent protection would never end, therefore protecting the creator until the end of time. But that doesn't happen, does it?

At 1/23/13 07:13 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/23/13 05:45 PM, poxpower wrote:
The exception being the legislative extension of copyrights long beyond their usefulness.

So Intellectual Property is nothing but a farce, if one can arbitrarily legislate how valuable someones creativity is.

Unless ALL THREE points can be explained away, piracy is a crime, just like counterfieting, and should be treated as such.

Piracy isn't exactly comparable to counterfeiting, though.

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:45 AM Reply

Once bitten, twice shy....

"less than 24 hours after the first news reports of the existence of the third-party [file search] engine surfaced, Dotcom blocked it"

http://mashable.com/2013/01/31/mega-first-search-engine-bloc ked/

poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:53 AM Reply

500 000 fine for unlocking smart phones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_fUulg8x8

Haha what?
These people are out of their minds.

Once again, no one could honestly believe any of these clowns are honest actors passing laws based on economical or moral ideals. No one who doesn't get paid by the industry would ever even suggest such an insane law.

I'm so sick of this bullshit, sometimes I just wish they'd get a face full of bullet. They will all go to their graves rich without ever having suffered the consequences of their corruption, even if the system gets changed. These pieces of shit will get to live out their lives after fucking with people and jailing innocents for decades.

This is small potatoes compared to some of the other stuff they do, but it's such a clear example of how corrupt they are.

BBS Signature
Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:27 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 11:37 AM, Camarohusky wrote: Do you think this step will insulate him from legal trouble? If not, will the legal trouble be justified?

Would this include feature length movies and full TV episodes? I kind of doubt it, then. I never even went to Megaupload except when I was playing a game.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

CaptainCornhole
CaptainCornhole
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:22 PM Reply

How is The Pirate Bay any different from the public library?

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Megaupload: Part Deux Feb. 3rd, 2013 @ 11:00 PM Reply

At 2/3/13 09:22 PM, CaptainCornhole wrote: How is The Pirate Bay any different from the public library?

One is more convenient and you may find things your computer can still read.