LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 08:59:23 Reply

Here is an interesting consideration:

Static noise has the most rich, complex texture but no pitch.

A sine tone has the most defined pitch but the smoothest, least complicated, most minimal texture.

Listening to either for a prolonged period isn't as nice as listening to music. Both of them become monotonous in their own way. Although you can definitely meditate to a sine tone. But what about static noise? It's so random and complicated that the temptation is just to switch off your brain and it all becomes one homogeneous texture.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 09:07:05 Reply

Don't say static, please say White Noise or Pink Noise... sorry just a bit OCD and that gets on my nerves.

I meditate to silence, it's the only thing that can completely calm me down in this world anymore.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
LionzNTiggerz
LionzNTiggerz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 09:09:40 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:07 AM, Chemich wrote: Don't say static, please say White Noise or Pink Noise... sorry just a bit OCD and that gets on my nerves.

I meditate to silence, it's the only thing that can completely calm me down in this world anymore.

I just thought static noise encapsulated all white noise, pink noise, etc... I have ringing in my ears so I can't hear total silence :(

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 11:02:29 Reply

Ahh never heard of that problem, but "static noise" seems more like a general term. I like to think of it as more of a dynamic noise honestly, white noise and pink noise can randomize and generate differently if it wants to.

Also never heard of constantly always have ringing in your ears... you ever see a doctor about that by any chance?

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 11:36:42 Reply

so basically what do you want to know?
i don't understand this thing about static noise and sine waves, what's the matter.

:Although you can definitely meditate to a sine tone.
What does this mean? You can "meditate" to a sine tone? lol

SUCK MY KICK

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 11:55:23 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:07 AM, Chemich wrote: Don't say static, please say White Noise or Pink Noise... sorry just a bit OCD and that gets on my nerves.

Pink noise? Is that the kind of noise they use in ponystep?

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 12:08:43 Reply

I love the sound of distortion. Heavy guitars or distorted synths... Yes. :3

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Braiton
Braiton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Musician
Response to texture vs pitch 2013-01-20 13:04:50 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:09 AM, LionzNTiggerz wrote:

I just thought static noise encapsulated all white noise, pink noise, etc... I have ringing in my ears so I can't hear total silence :(

No such thing as total silence anyway. There's always something vibrating, producing all kinds of sounds at different intensities, in different places, that you'll eventually hear (even if you don't notice them). You'd have to eliminate all mediums where the sound can travel if you want total silence. So don't feel sad.