New Topic Respond to this Topic
MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:18 PM Reply

Whenever I play my music through my speakers, everything sounds incredibly flat and muddy. When I play my music through my studio headphones, everything sounds incredibly crisp and precise. So, is it safe to say that I need to buy better speakers in order to get the same sound I do from my headphones?

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:27 PM Reply

Yes.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 06:18 PM, MatrixGravity wrote: Whenever I play my music through my speakers, everything sounds incredibly flat and muddy. When I play my music through my studio headphones, everything sounds incredibly crisp and precise. So, is it safe to say that I need to buy better speakers in order to get the same sound I do from my headphones?

Any default speakers compared to studio monitors or headphones will sound like rubbish. If you want the same sound, yes you will need better speakers.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

MatrixGravity
MatrixGravity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 06:31 PM, Envy wrote:
At 1/19/13 06:18 PM, MatrixGravity wrote: Whenever I play my music through my speakers, everything sounds incredibly flat and muddy. When I play my music through my studio headphones, everything sounds incredibly crisp and precise. So, is it safe to say that I need to buy better speakers in order to get the same sound I do from my headphones?
Any default speakers compared to studio monitors or headphones will sound like rubbish. If you want the same sound, yes you will need better speakers.

That makes sense. Would these speakers do the trick? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Elevate-3-Studio-Monitors -107618431-i2368768.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 01:55 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 06:37 PM, MatrixGravity wrote:
At 1/19/13 06:31 PM, Envy wrote:
That makes sense. Would these speakers do the trick? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Elevate-3-Studio-Monitors -107618431-i2368768.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

I can personally vouch for the Alesis M1 Active 520 speakers. They're pricier than what you picked out, but they have surprisingly good bass response and clarity for the size. I use the Yamaha HS50M (which run $300-400 a pair), but I've thought about picking these up as a second pair.

If you're really strapped for cash, you might be able to pick up a used pair on ebay for a discount. Guitar Center also periodically has $xx off $xxx purchase, so you could potentially save some money if you're patient.

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 01:59 AM Reply

Honestly I just have Cyber Acoustics 2.1 speakers and they're actually INCREDIBLY GOOD, no shorts or faults in the audio department. They were also very cheap, honestly probably a very good buy for any musician, but I also seperate sub/bass/low mid/mid to just the subwoofer. Then I separate mid and up to just the speakers, which is a pain to do but honestly is very rewarding. Though, I think you'd need a better soundcard to do that yourself.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 03:03 AM Reply

I work for guitar center. Email me and I can get you set up(its at the bottom). There's a lot of set ups starting at the very lowest with the speakers youre picking out, but staying in the low end it goes upward towards 400 for a pair.

Usually I recommend spending at least three hundred if you want closer to accurate playback.

Of course keep in mind placement of speakers and the room you're mixing in have a HUGE effect on the sound you're hearing as well. Isolating speakers from table is a must, and so is creating an equilateral triangle with the tweeters and your head. I wont even get into absorption, diffusion, and soundproofing, nor resonating desks and other studio objects...

TLDR; I can arrange so that you get speakers via an active promotion and get em shipped to you so you should contact me.

Cheers!

Michael [dot] Breed [at] guitarcenter [dot] com

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 03:30 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 03:03 AM, Breed wrote: I work for guitar center.

Oh cool the Best Buy of musical instruments.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 09:15 AM Reply

just make sure they are flat line EQ monitors. but other than that it's just a matter of preference.

lel

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 10:14 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 03:30 AM, Chemich wrote:

On the contrary, Best Buy is actually the Best Buy of musical instruments.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 10:47 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 10:14 AM, Breed wrote:

I'll respectfully rephrase what I said, and I'll say the Gamestop of musical instruments. :P

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 10:47 AM, Chemich wrote:
I'll respectfully rephrase what I said, and I'll say the Gamestop of musical instruments. :P

Ok fair enough but I'm legitimately trying to help the guy and I sell pro audio gear, not really instruments.... other than keyboards. Me and my crew are very knowledgeable. So lets be done with discussing the validity of guitar center please.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 11:08 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 11:07 AM, Breed wrote:
Ok fair enough but I'm legitimately trying to help the guy and I sell pro audio gear, not really instruments.... other than keyboards. Me and my crew are very knowledgeable. So lets be done with discussing the validity of guitar center please.

I was merely kidding and just joking around the entire time, truth is Guitar Center isn't the worst place to go at all.

But to focus more on the thread Studio Monitors are probably the way to go, if you aren't worried about a budget that is.

BBS Signature
AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 11:21 AM Reply

I was merely kidding and just joking around

I always thought kidding meant joking around. How did you accomplish both at the same time?

If you don't want to spend anything over $100 I would go for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. They sound great!

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 11:35 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 11:21 AM, AJtheRipper wrote:
I always thought kidding meant joking around. How did you accomplish both at the same time?

If you don't want to spend anything over $100 I would go for the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. They sound great!

^^ I second the Sennheiser's if you want to go down the Headphone route.
Speaker-wise I would say look at some of the more pricier options and then contact any of the retailers, asking if they have any of their models in B-Stock. It will sound and look just as good but for cheaper.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 11:21 AM, AJtheRipper wrote:

I think he mentioned he has a pair of studio monitor headphones, so he's just looking for speakers.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

joshhunsaker
joshhunsaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 04:52 PM Reply

Why the hate on guitar center? You expect someone making $10/hr. to know music theory on a level of world-class pianists?

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 05:15 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 04:52 PM, joshhunsaker wrote:
Why the hate on guitar center? You expect someone making $10/hr. to know music theory on a level of world-class pianists?

I expect them to be able to do their job given the circumstances they actually get paid to do it, plus they dick around on a computer all day mostly. At least open up wikipedia and do some research for your customers, not saying all Guitar Center employee's are terrible but from what I've seen it's just a bunch of dropout jackoffs that don't know a pedal from a pic. Embarrassing, really.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 09:47 PM Reply

...What would be the good retailer of musical instruments?

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
rockit1
rockit1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Should I buy better speakers? Jan. 29th, 2013 @ 04:39 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 09:47 PM, sweet21 wrote:
...What would be the good retailer of musical instruments?

Having good speakers is very important when doing any serious work on audio. It's ok to use crappy little speakers as a second reference..but for a main reference you need something half decent. Proper monitor speakers, not computr or hi-fi speakers should be used for critical listening. But....................that's only half the story!!
Having them set up in a equilateral triangle arrangement ( with you at on epoint of the triangle) and in a room with some reasonable audio treatment will make a very big difference when compared to an untreated room with randomly placed speakers. You want them to be at ear level, and preferably with som eacoustic treatment in the room...at the very least behind and to the sides of the speakers.
I just recently spent a good deal of time making some new acoustic treatment absorbers and diffusers ( very cheaply I may add) and putting them in strategic places round the studio control room. I already had quite a bit of sound treatment in the room, but the additional ones have made a large difference to the clarity and accuracy of what I am hearing. Also having something hung above your head in the mixing poition helps ( a duvet inner for example).
So...in other words...to get the best from your music you need good speakers and awell treated room.