New Topic Respond to this Topic
Saen
Saen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 03:13 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: This next question is directed at the people that believe we are causing Global Warming and think it is a problem.

What things can we do to stop or at lest slow down Global Warming? Please, only practical ideas. I'm not interested in silly ideas like we all should live in trees.

Drive only when you need to and carpool. For instance I ride my bike to class every day of the week instead of driving.

Recycling everything you can reduces the ecological footprint of gathering and production process of raw materials.

Use air conditioning only when you need to.

Buy used things such as used cars, tools, furniture, etc. Used items have already been produced, while buying new goods increases the demand for production of that good, which increases greenhouse emissions.

Really pretty simple things, in other words not living beyond your means.

Musician
Musician
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:29 AM Reply

Global Warming: Positives and Negatives

Long story short, the negatives greatly outweigh the positives. Especially considering that a new understanding of the science developed over the last decade lays out a potentially apocalyptic scenario. With the world currently on track for an increase of 4 degrees celsius, many scientists are saying this alone is enough to reduce the carrying capacity of the earth by an order of magnitude.

At 7/9/11 07:35 PM, Sydney Morning Herald wrote:

Keynote speaker Professor Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, director of the Potsdam Institute and climate adviser to the German Chancellor and to the EU, has said that in a 4-degree warmer world, the population âEUoecarrying capacity estimates [are] below 1billion peopleâEU.

This means billions of people will die. Furthermore a temperature increase of 4 degrees will likely be enough to melt massive permafrost stores carrying billions of tons of green house gases. This would create a feedback loop that would accelerate warming on the planet in a way outside of human control, making net temperature increases of 6-10 degrees inevitable. And 6+ degrees warming is uncontroversially enough to end human civilization as we know it.

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world
-- Eugene Debs

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:05 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:39 PM, LemonCrush wrote: So I take it you don't see how your sources prove my point, not hurt it, huh?

Considering they prove humanity does more damage and causes more pollution than the Earth, yeah...they don't support your claim whatsoever of the polar opposite.

Ericho
Ericho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Movie Buff
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 01:29 PM Reply

If you watched Al Gore's "An Inconvienint Truth", you will notice that at one point he says the areas that would be affected by global warming, flooding most of Florida. While that certainly looked bad, you can notice that not even he exaggerated the effects as from a worldy view, no more then 1 to 5% would be flooded. Granted, that's still a lot, but it's wrong to think it would flood the entire world.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

At 1/22/13 12:29 AM, Musician wrote: Global Warming: Positives and Negatives

;;;
No one knows for sure . THere is conjecture/speculation ....but there are no solid facts.

This means billions of people will die.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/hominid/australo_1.htm
Seeing as our planet is around 4.5 billion years old give or take a couple million years !
And our early ancestors have been here only about 7 million years of that .... I don't see what the problem is.
http://joannenova.com.au/2009/11/a-simple-proof-that-global-
warming-is-not-manmade/

Lots & lots of evidence of ice ages, warming trends, Massive Extinctions & the world just keeps tickin' along.

You want another reason to worry ....THE WORLDS MAGNETIC POLES ARE GOING TO SHIFT
& or a possible excursion ! ! ! !
OH ! MY ! GOD !

We are way past our due date to do so ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

(but there's really no reason to panic, it all takes a long time & you'll probably be long dead before any major change to you would even be noticable ~;)

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 27th, 2013 @ 05:46 AM Reply

At 1/26/13 03:03 PM, morefngdbs wrote: (but there's really no reason to panic, it all takes a long time & you'll probably be long dead before any major change to you would even be noticable ~;)

Bacon, fish, oil, grain, fresh water shortages coming within the next 50 years.