Be a Supporter!

Global Warming pros and cons

  • 2,708 Views
  • 95 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 07:45 PM Reply

Billions of species have probably gone extinct in the Earth's life. Many, well before humans had anything to do with it. The natural warming cycle of the Earth is something (Which will happen regardless of humans) should be stopped to prevent extinction is laughable and reckless.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 07:17 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
And either the earth will adapt, or, more likely, species will adapt to changes in their environment.

Successful population adaptations are dependent upon the rate of change of its environment. Rapid environmental change leads to quick, mass extinctions. Environmental changes over thousands of years may lead to successful adaptations among certain species. In the case of climate change driven by human industrialization and population growth, most predictions assert major climate, geological, atmospheric, and oceanic changes are to occur within less than 100 years.

If species end up dying due to changes in environment, they were going to die anyway. Using unleaded gas isn't gonna keep them alive.

Ok?

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 07:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Billions of species have probably gone extinct in the Earth's life. Many, well before humans had anything to do with it. The natural warming cycle of the Earth is something (Which will happen regardless of humans) should be stopped to prevent extinction is laughable and reckless.

....Which again is not an argument. At the very least watch the Inconvenient Truth to at least hear the arguments, its quite clear you don't know what you're addressing.

At 1/20/13 07:11 PM, Migel wrote: Almost all studies around co2 as a greenhouse gas seems to be complete bullcrap from both sides.
Many leaked emails by both sides, show that it's just a political view being forced into research.

Which were later vindicated. The fact is that CO2 levels have been rising at a record rate, at the same time temperature has been rising at an alarming rate.

Because of that, they still haven't managed to make a model of the earth temperature, that even comes close to reality.

No it's not, it's because it's difficult to measure temperatures thus difficult to test the models. The reason being thermometers are effected by concrete, time of day, other buildings position in atmosphere etc. so it's rather difficult to get an accurate temperature reading.

So my only conclusion is that we don't know how it works and sofar science has been nothing more than politics and media.

The political articles, the scientific journals have unanimously restated the same thing over and over again.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 07:54 PM, Saen wrote: Successful population adaptations are dependent upon the rate of change of its environment. Rapid environmental change leads to quick, mass extinctions. Environmental changes over thousands of years may lead to successful adaptations among certain species. In the case of climate change driven by human industrialization and population growth, most predictions assert major climate, geological, atmospheric, and oceanic changes are to occur within less than 100 years.

Environmental changes of the past century have led to earth adaptations. New species of bacteria have been discovered that actually eat oil and plastic. The earth, and rather life, always finds a way. If humans die out, it's due to their own failure as a species.

If species end up dying due to changes in environment, they were going to die anyway. Using unleaded gas isn't gonna keep them alive.

Point being, the earth is largely unaffected by human behavior one way or another.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Member since: Dec. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 09:48 PM Reply

I'm not sure why you think that stupid figure with 98% agreeing means anything when only less then 100 scientists asked were actually educated in that field to answer, and most didn't answer. And don't forget who pays these kind of scientists either.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 10:26 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 09:31 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Environmental changes of the past century have led to earth adaptations. New species of bacteria have been discovered that actually eat oil and plastic. The earth, and rather life, always finds a way. If humans die out, it's due to their own failure as a species.

Species discovery has no relation to adaptation, quite an obvious statement. Also, the rate of adaptation and evolution is also dependent on the genetic complexity of an organism and it's community. Less complex organism adapt more readily to abrupt environmental changes while more genetically complex organisms require more time.

If species end up dying due to changes in environment, they were going to die anyway. Using unleaded gas isn't gonna keep them alive.
Point being, the earth is largely unaffected by human behavior one way or another.

Are you fucking kidding. You need to stick to your crack pot theories of fascism and government reptiles.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 09:31 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Environmental changes of the past century have led to earth adaptations. New species of bacteria have been discovered that actually eat oil and plastic. The earth, and rather life, always finds a way. If humans die out, it's due to their own failure as a species.

Humanity has surpassed the 7 billion population mark. Every year we consume exponentially more than the last. We destroy more trees and plant-life than can be seeded and grown. We dwarf the pollution of all the worlds volcanoes combined. We build larger and larger cities taking up more land. We destroy more ecosystems with pesticides, tail ponds, littering, and so on annually.

The species of the world, the ecosystems, cannot adapt to humanity and amplified climate change within the time frame they would need to.

Point being, the earth is largely unaffected by human behavior one way or another.

The Earth is fine. The cycles on the Earth's atmosphere and in all the ecosystems are not (thanks to humanity).

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:22 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 09:48 PM, Ceratisa wrote: I'm not sure why you think that stupid figure with 98% agreeing means anything when only less then 100 scientists asked were actually educated in that field to answer, and most didn't answer. And don't forget who pays these kind of scientists either.

Right, the vast majority of the "scientists" who disagree with the consensus on Global Warming aren't authorities in atmospheric testing and have some other degree in say Botany. Oh and they get PAID. Like ALOT. By Energy companies. In fact in the Greening of Planet Earth documentary I mentioned earlier was bankrolled by Peabody, as in Peabody coal. So great we're in consensus that the anti-Global Warming crowd is made up of people who are either delusional (like Richard Linzen) or people who are full of shit.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Rome-forger
Rome-forger
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 05:53 PM, Jmayer20 wrote: So what do you guys think about Al Gore and his movie An Inconvenient Truth? For those of you who have not see it here it is.

http://documentarylovers.net/an-inconvenient-truth/

Well I have not watched the movie but I guess I will do that now since you have it up. As to Al Gore I think he is a Hypocrite and a dick that does not practice what he preaches.

Rome-forger
Rome-forger
  • Member since: Dec. 26, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 07:03 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 1/20/13 06:26 PM, Saen wrote: A great movie which really began to bring the concern for climate change to the public.
Oh no Climate Change was a big issue since the 70's when they first began to notice this trend. The documentary merely made it the more important issue.

Of course back then it was not global warming. Back then they were talking about a global cooling cased by our pollution blocking out our suns rays, which in turn was supposed to cause another ice age. People were acting like they are now with global warming. If we don't do something about this now we are all going to die! This will cause countless destruction to humanity, excreta, excreta. Well that was proven to be bull shit. But does that stop them hell no. With in the blink of an eye they switched to global warming. So here we are all over again with the end is nigh unless we do something about this right now! The Oceans will become acidic. Our rain will become like sulfuric acid. The ocean level will rise engulfing places like Florida over night and all life as we know it will cease to exist!

This is why I have my doubts. I just cant see it getting THAT bad. It just comes off as being more end of the world bull shit like that 2012 Mayan calendar or the 2000 Y2K Bull shit.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:57 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 10:41 PM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: Humanity has surpassed the 7 billion population mark. Every year we consume exponentially more than the last. We destroy more trees and plant-life than can be seeded and grown. We dwarf the pollution of all the worlds volcanoes combined. We build larger and larger cities taking up more land. We destroy more ecosystems with pesticides, tail ponds, littering, and so on annually.

The species of the world, the ecosystems, cannot adapt to humanity and amplified climate change within the time frame they would need to.

Whatever. Ecosystems adapt. The ones who can't, die, the ones that do evolve. Just as it has been since the first cell swam in the ocean

The Earth is fine. The cycles on the Earth's atmosphere and in all the ecosystems are not (thanks to humanity).

Thanks to humanity? Please, Mt. St. Helens spat out more shit and greenhouse gases when it erupted than humanity has in it's entire time here. If you wanna talk about what harms ecosystems, the Earth is it's own worst enemy.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 01:59 AM Reply

At 1/20/13 10:26 PM, Saen wrote: Species discovery has no relation to adaptation, quite an obvious statement. Also, the rate of adaptation and evolution is also dependent on the genetic complexity of an organism and it's community. Less complex organism adapt more readily to abrupt environmental changes while more genetically complex organisms require more time.

So? So humans die. Big fucking deal

Are you fucking kidding. You need to stick to your crack pot theories of fascism and government reptiles.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I know for a fact, the Earth has been spewing metric tonnes of poisonous gasses into it's atmosphere long before humans ever existed.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 05:59 AM Reply

You know what, i'm done going back and forth with you nut bags. So here's a list of where we are at....

-Climate change is a natural cycle.
-Humanity is having a dramatic effect on climate change.
-This effect is very bad for us and every other living thing on this planet.
-We have methods to diminish and reverse our effect on this cycle.
-We have ways of protecting ourselves and other species from what harm we cannot stop.
-Politicians globally are doing very little if anything.
-We're fucked.

The list you just read is entirely fact based. You have access to google, bing, yahoo, and a hundred other search engines if you do not believe me. Have a nice day, good luck reaching retirement.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:29 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 01:59 AM, LemonCrush wrote:
I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but I know for a fact, the Earth has been spewing metric tonnes of poisonous gasses into it's atmosphere long before humans ever existed.

The earth doesn't use dynamite to blow the tops of off mountains then burn the coal, the earth doesn't bore massive holes into self and burn it's own oil and shale deposits, and the earth certainly hasn't developed and reacted any radioactive elements past Uranium.

What is your argument? That humans are not the cause of excess greenhouse gases? How deep is you head buried in the sand to actually believe that bullshit?

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 10:57 AM Reply

My view is, I think Global Warming is happening and yes we will probably have some problems but I don't think it will be as bad as everyone is acting. Remember these are worst case scenarios. I don't think it will be the end of our species or most life on our planet.

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:28 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:57 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: My view is, I think Global Warming is happening and yes we will probably have some problems but I don't think it will be as bad as everyone is acting. Remember these are worst case scenarios. I don't think it will be the end of our species or most life on our planet.

That is a perfectly reasonable assumption.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:30 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:29 AM, Saen wrote: The earth doesn't use dynamite to blow the tops of off mountains then burn the coal, the earth doesn't bore massive holes into self and burn it's own oil and shale deposits, and the earth certainly hasn't developed and reacted any radioactive elements past Uranium.

The earth bores massive holes into it self every time it EXPLODES from with forces greater than any human amount of dynamite. IT spews pyroclastic debris into the air, and emits more CO2 than all years of human activity combined. Volcanic eruptions have been so bad that it causes ICE AGES.

As you radioactivity...you've heard of the sun, right? Not the earth per se, but still. It's literally a giant ball of radiation that actaully powers all life on earth.

What is your argument? That humans are not the cause of excess greenhouse gases? How deep is you head buried in the sand to actually believe that bullshit?

I'm saying the earth itself emits more "greenhouse gases" than humans could ever even dream of.

CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Writer
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 11:57 AM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:30 AM, LemonCrush wrote: The earth bores massive holes into it self every time it EXPLODES from with forces greater than any human amount of dynamite. IT spews pyroclastic debris into the air, and emits more CO2 than all years of human activity combined. Volcanic eruptions have been so bad that it causes ICE AGES.

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:04 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 07:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: The natural warming cycle of the Earth is something (Which will happen regardless of humans) should be stopped to prevent extinction is laughable and reckless.

;;;
the present "CRISIS"
Is a man made one ...one where there is an economic windfall for Governemtns who WILL TAX their citizens & companies to FIGHT GLOBAL WARMING !

OH Great Another War On Something ! ! ! !

But don't let yerselves be fooled boys & girls its all ABOUT THE MONEY !


Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:30 AM, LemonCrush wrote:
The earth bores massive holes into it self every time it EXPLODES from with forces greater than any human amount of dynamite. IT spews pyroclastic debris into the air, and emits more CO2 than all years of human activity combined. Volcanic eruptions have been so bad that it causes ICE AGES.

As you radioactivity...you've heard of the sun, right? Not the earth per se, but still. It's literally a giant ball of radiation that actaully powers all life on earth.

On top of everything you've said is false, it is entirely non sequitor. If you want to talk about the power of nature versus the power of man, take into account that it only takes a little over 20 hydrogen bombs to wipe out all life on earth and only a few 100 to entirely flatten the earth. The U.S. alone has thousands of fusion and fission bombs that can blow up the world a hundred times over.

The amount of CO2 emissions produced by man in just the past 200 years exceeds production by earth naturally up until the period at which the earth was first forming.


I'm saying the earth itself emits more "greenhouse gases" than humans could ever even dream of.

Once again false, look up daily CO2 emissions by man or even just by automobiles and prepare to have your mind blown.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 02:33 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 10:57 AM, Jmayer20 wrote: My view is, I think Global Warming is happening and yes we will probably have some problems but I don't think it will be as bad as everyone is acting. Remember these are worst case scenarios. I don't think it will be the end of our species or most life on our planet.

This is pretty much my beliefs on the subject. I still think it's good to develop good habits.

Jmayer20
Jmayer20
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:13 PM Reply

This next question is directed at the people that believe we are causing Global Warming and think it is a problem.

What things can we do to stop or at lest slow down Global Warming? Please, only practical ideas. I'm not interested in silly ideas like we all should live in trees.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 04:22 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 12:58 AM, Rome-forger wrote: Of course back then it was not global warming. Back then they were talking about a global cooling cased by our pollution blocking out our suns rays, which in turn was supposed to cause another ice age. People were acting like they are now with global warming.

Exactly that's how science works, you make theories you test them and then you prove them. Global Warming has been that way.

At 1/21/13 12:58 AM, Rome-forger wrote: This is why I have my doubts. I just cant see it getting THAT bad. It just comes off as being more end of the world bull shit like that 2012 Mayan calendar or the 2000 Y2K Bull shit.

It is nothing like them. The Mayan Calendar and Y2K crap was all mystical things because apparently a number will determine the end of the world. Global Warming is much different than that.


"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 11:57 AM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: Source 1
Source 2
Source 3
Source 4

So I take it you don't see how your sources prove my point, not hurt it, huh?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 12:53 PM, Saen wrote: On top of everything you've said is false, it is entirely non sequitor. If you want to talk about the power of nature versus the power of man, take into account that it only takes a little over 20 hydrogen bombs to wipe out all life on earth and only a few 100 to entirely flatten the earth. The U.S. alone has thousands of fusion and fission bombs that can blow up the world a hundred times over.

Right. We're not talking about atomic bombs though, are we. We're talking about cars and littering that allegedly "hurt the planet"

Once again false, look up daily CO2 emissions by man or even just by automobiles and prepare to have your mind blown.

Dude, let's just say it now. FUCK CO2. That is so far from the issue in the first place.

But let's assume CO2 is bad, just because. You think that a day of human emissions outweighs when the Hawiian Islands or supervolcanoes erupt?

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:11 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:42 PM, LemonCrush wrote: But let's assume CO2 is bad, just because. You think that a day of human emissions outweighs when the Hawiian Islands or supervolcanoes erupt?

Are you really trying to compare a daily output of humans against a once every several hundred years event?

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:29 PM Reply

Fact Cows produce more green house gas than so Cars.


BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:29 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: Fact Cows produce more green house gas than so Cars.

Should call it brown house gas when it comes from cows.

leanlifter1
leanlifter1
  • Member since: Sep. 30, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 07:38 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 1/21/13 07:29 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: Fact Cows produce more green house gas than so Cars.
Should call it brown house gas when it comes from cows.

Should actually get Humans of their dependency on Meat and dairy products as well as Dependency on Oil burning cars and in general Oil burning and use.


BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to Global Warming pros and cons Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 08:30 PM Reply

At 1/21/13 06:42 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Dude, let's just say it now. FUCK CO2. That is so far from the issue in the first place.

But let's assume CO2 is bad, just because. You think that a day of human emissions outweighs when the Hawiian Islands or supervolcanoes erupt?

Alright you've clearly gone off the deep end of understanding what a greenhouse gas is and what the greenhouse effect is. If you don't even understand that basic process you are in no place to discuss climate change.

Seriously go back to your gun and government threads and quit making a fool of yourself.