Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 12:20 PM Reply

Hey there,
I've been playing with flash for some time now, making simple maze, mario and racing "games" 'n websites (AS 2), but I've never finished any of these games, mostly because I got bored and didn't know what to do, but also becaue I can't really draw and they all looked like shit lol.
But recently I found myself watching some AS 3 RPG game tutorials on youtube and I thought I'd try to make my own RPG game, unfortunately most of the tutorial were for AS 3 and .. I'm kinda lazy to learn everything again. So here I am with a link to my RPG, it's not a game it's more like a preview, asking for some feedback.

Uber-Awesome RPG

Thanks,
Croser

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 12:41 PM Reply

It's very awkward to move your hands back and forth from keyboard to mouse. Left hand always handles the left half of the keyboard; the right hand has to pick between the right half, arrow keys + enter, or mouse. You could do left/right click to move, or scroll through buttons with arrow keys and space to select or something

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 12:45 PM Reply

also, why is "q" used to close what "tab" opened

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 12:45 PM, nitokov wrote: also, why is "q" used to close what "tab" opened

I wanted to use Key.isToggle but it wanst working for some reason so I just picked the closest key to TAB.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 01:11 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 12:41 PM, MSGhero wrote: You could do left/right click to move, or scroll through buttons with arrow keys and space to select or something

How about W,S,A,D instead of Arrow keys?

nitokov
nitokov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Programmer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 01:16 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:08 PM, Croser88 wrote:
At 1/19/13 12:45 PM, nitokov wrote: also, why is "q" used to close what "tab" opened
I wanted to use Key.isToggle but it wanst working for some reason so I just picked the closest key to TAB.

I see but that is not good solution, because you can close it with tab, in your code where you show stats put

if(tabpressed){
if(showstats == true) {
HideStats()
}
}

RangeError: Error #1125: The index 4 is out of range 4.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 02:13 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:16 PM, nitokov wrote: I see but that is not good solution, because you can close it with tab, in your code where you show stats put

if(tabpressed){
if(showstats == true) {
HideStats()
}
}

if (Key.isDown(Key.TAB)) {
if (stats == true) {
_root.stats_mc.unloadMovie("stats.swf");
stats ==false;
}else{
_root.stats_mc.loadMovie("stats.swf");

Stats.swf :
function onEnterFrame() {
stats ==true

This seems to be working. The problem is that you have to press the TAB really quick otherwise it counts it as multiple presses and loads the stats again.
I didn't really get what you meant so I tried it this way.
So ..

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:16 PM, nitokov wrote: if(showstats == true) {
if (showStats) {

also

if (!showStats) {

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)
PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.
thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature
Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 12:20 PM, Croser88 wrote: Uber-Awesome RPG

Edited the cotrols a bit aswell as the stats window.
You can now move by clicking or with W,S,A,D keys.
Also added some animations to the enemy so it wont look that boring, hopefully.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 08:50 PM Reply

menu:
1. your buttons and background look god-awful. There's very few cases in which a gradient is acceptable to use. Don't make the edge a completely different color from the button's body, and don't use a thick line style. Also, play with alpha a little bit. A solid blue-green button with a solid black 1px 100% alpha border and 65% alpha looks pretty damn good on a semi-solid to a solid cool-color (blue, green, dark grey, etc. etc.) background.
2. Don't use pure, solid colors in anything. Meaning don't use pure blue (0x0000FF), pure red (0xFF0000), pure white (0xFFFFFF), pure black (0x000000), etc. etc. Not even in a gradient.
3. Everything's too red. It's hot (hot colors) to the point of annoying and somewhat painful to look at.
4. The smoke animation is pretty bad. Not that I can do much better with solid DisplayObjects, but you should really start raping that image with filters to get a decent-looking smoke effect.
5. Make the cursor's disappearing act consistent. If I make the cursor visible, it doesn't hide again. Makes it look unprofessional, and having two cursors is annoying and somewhat confusing.
6. The cursor you give us looks, again, terrible. The 3px (4px, maybe?) thick green line clashes terribly with the green-black cursor gradient.

credits:
1. The white bold text is hard on the eyes. again, don't go with pure, solid colors.
2. Make a background for your text, or put it in a textbox. Looks better that way.

Load game:
1. The button's text says "LoadGame", not "Load Game"
2. Load game should be grayed-out until you save a game. Undefined values look poor on a game.
3. The formatting's off on the textbox to the left. The values are too far to the right and aren't anti-aliased for readability. Simply put your values in the same textbox as your information to avoid that issue.
4. Once again, it looks like a child created the art for this. The buttons look awful. The info to the left isn't as bad, but it could really be better. Again, the thick line around the edge isn't doing you any favors.
5. You have a ton of empty space just sitting there while your content is all pushed to the top. Make use of your empty space.

The game:
1. Don't slam a whole bunch of information onto the player. They won't read it and then they'll wonder what's going on. Take a look at how most professionally-made games do tutorials and take a leaf or two from their books.
2. Text on top of text looks bad, and you can barely read the copyright. Plus, it's just in the way. That should be tucked down in a corner in small black text on your menu. Just the copyright symbol, your name, and the year will do just fine.
3. Again, the gradients and thick lines. They look terrible, don't do it.
4. There's a ton of blinding white around the edges of the playing field. It's nice that it doesn't fill up most of the screen space because of borders, but it would be better if it wasn't there at all.
5. You move twice as fast when you hold two keys at once.
6. The UI moves slightly when moving. This should not be happening. At all. This indicates a poorly-constructed game. Why in the world does the playing field know about and have access to the UI?
7. Enemies should move toward you and initiate battles with you. I assume that's your plan, but just in case... Wouldn't be much of a game if you could just ignore everything and move on.
8. Dummies don't move, let alone attack you in a turn-based battle.
9. The tutorial dummy killed me. I assume this is not supposed to happen.
10. Your hit collision sucks. You have to pretty much be directly on top of things to access them (such as the shop)
11. Coins re-appear when you exit the shop.

shop:
1. I'm buying health potions, and it says i'm buying mana potions.

end:
1. Memes suck, and should not be placed in a game.
2. References are fine (in fact, they're good in most games) - just not too many at once, and not in-your-face obvious.

BBS Signature
Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 05:44 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 08:50 PM, egg82 wrote: menu:
1. your buttons and background look god-awful.

Holy sh*t, that was long.
Graphics :
First of all, if you read the credits, I am sure you've noticed the textbox at the bottom saying that it sucks balls and also that I can't draw. If I ever decide to continue this RPG, the first thing to improve would be the graphics, there's no need to have awesome graphics for testing purposes ( even though it could have been better I take that).
Next thing to improve would be ofcourse the formating, so it won't be scattered all over the screen, but thn again no need for perfection, we're just testing if it works.

This "game" has no tutorial and again, since this level is for testing purposes only I put all the info there. So you can read it, try it and that's it.
About moving twice as fast when holding down two keys - I am aware of that and it's one of the things I'm about to fix.
Also, I kind of like when the UI is moving and it's been done on purpose. I dont reappy like static UI that's just sitting there like it's been glued to the screen.
"Enemies should move toward you and initiate battles with you." Imagine the dummy chasing you around this test level. The player won't be able to move on unless he beats his opponent.
The hit collision if bad since you have to hit objects with the center of your character, yet another thing on my list to be fixed.
Coins re-appear not only when you exit shop but also when you finish your fight, this is because they are loaded on the stage on the same frame the game goes to when you exit shop / finish fight. I am aware of that and it'll be fixed.
Shop:
Thanks for that I didnt notice.
End:
Thank you for your opinion.

Thank you for your feedback, I really didn't expect something this long and I hope I didn't forget anything.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 08:38 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 08:50 PM, egg82 wrote: 9. The tutorial dummy killed me. I assume this is not supposed to happen.

It is, you have to sharpen your blade to beat it, as a part of the tutorial about sharpness and damage.

^^, That's what I forgot.

egg82
egg82
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 05:44 AM, Croser88 wrote: First of all, if you read the credits, I am sure you've noticed the textbox at the bottom saying that it sucks balls and also that I can't draw. If I ever decide to continue this RPG, the first thing to improve would be the graphics, there's no need to have awesome graphics for testing purposes ( even though it could have been better I take that).

I read it. You have better graphics there than would usually be set for testing purposes, so I decided to tell you what was wrong with them. Also, just because you're not an artist doesn't mean you don't have to be a terrible artist. If you ask me to draw something on a computer, it'll look like shit. If you ask me to pick out a color scheme, it'll look pretty damn good. That, I had to learn. It's actually not very difficult.

(though, to be fair to myself, i'm very good at drawing real objects on paper, especially complicated ones)

This "game" has no tutorial and again, since this level is for testing purposes only I put all the info there. So you can read it, try it and that's it.

something to think about.

Also, I kind of like when the UI is moving and it's been done on purpose. I dont reappy like static UI that's just sitting there like it's been glued to the screen.

i'm pretty sure you didn't mean the UI to move slightly in the opposite direction from the character running. It looks an awful lot lot bad programming turned into a bug. I know because i've been where you are. (i'm talking the base UI, not a popup window)
A UI being glued to the screen is a good thing. It's an overlay. A HUD. A UI. It's not supposed to move around so people can't see it (let alone interact with it), unless the game mechanic specifically calls for it. Those times would be very rare, indeed.

"Enemies should move toward you and initiate battles with you." Imagine the dummy chasing you around this test level. The player won't be able to move on unless he beats his opponent.
The hit collision if bad since you have to hit objects with the center of your character, yet another thing on my list to be fixed.

take the x, add the width / 2. For the opposite direction, subtract the width / 2. Same with height. Though you should really be using a registration top-left instead of center. It's not better in any way, but it's the default and you'll be working with it quite a lot when you switch to AS3. If you want to stay in the programming game, you should have made the switch years ago (like I should have)

Coins re-appear not only when you exit shop but also when you finish your fight, this is because they are loaded on the stage on the same frame the game goes to when you exit shop / finish fight. I am aware of that and it'll be fixed.

you need to stop using AS1/2 and frames, and start using the free IDE FlashDevelop. If you learn AS3 and use FD to create your games, everything you know about Flash programming will be simplified a hundred-thousand fold. The learning curve is difficult, and you'll need to forget everything you ever learned about ActionScript, but the rewards really are nearly endless. Take it from a guy that's been where you are.

I created a multiplayer game in AS2. It had 30 or so frames, and a ping time of at least 3000ms because AS2 simply wasn't built for anything as advanced as a fully-featured game. A library I just came out with in AS3 handles TCP and UDP socket support, SQLite, and MySQL along with a whole bunch more goodies. Once I learned AS3 (once I actually understood OOP. It hits you like a train at some point in your learning), I had almost no limit as to what I could do and everything I did became easier.

Want another incentive? AS2 is the only widely-used programming language of its kind. What does that mean? If you don't get out of your AS2 habits, you'll never be able fully appreciate another programming language. Ever. You'll be stuck with AS2, no matter how hard you try, until you forget it and move out of the early 2000s.

One last thing: AS2 is officially a dead language. Adobe dropped support for it the first of January, and their next IDE will come without it. FD already dropped official support for it, and other IDEs are soon to follow. Good luck getting much help with your AS2 projects from then on.

Thank you for your feedback, I really didn't expect something this long and I hope I didn't forget anything.

No problem. Just remember that AS2 isn't helping you in the slightest. In fact, it's really the only thing holding you back.

At 1/20/13 08:38 AM, Croser88 wrote: It is, you have to sharpen your blade to beat it, as a part of the tutorial about sharpness and damage.

^^, That's what I forgot.

I didn't read the full tutorial and bought a ton of health potions instead.

BBS Signature
DancingEngie
DancingEngie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Programmer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 01:48 PM Reply

A good start. I can fix some of the bugs like the very specific dummy HP, the fact you move double-speed if you hold 2 buttons and more. If you want we can collabarate but I digress.

In short, good start, I liked it, the engine works well per se, but there's a l-o-t more to improve. Good luck mate.

Innermike
Innermike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

This post is just here to applaud egg82's dedication. OP should be grateful.

innermike // dreamlikepixels // twitter // Concerned Joe (not mine but still cool)

BBS Signature
Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 03:37 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 01:48 PM, DancingEngie wrote: A good start. I can fix some of the bugs like the very specific dummy HP, the fact you move double-speed if you hold 2 buttons and more. If you want we can collabarate but I digress.

I made the HP this specific on purpose, since each attack -=0.1 sharpness I was getting values such as 9.666666666.., so I made it round the HP to 2 decimal places.
About the double speed, I forgot to fix that lol.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 03:41 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 01:22 PM, egg82 wrote: One last thing: AS2 is officially a dead language. Adobe dropped support for it the first of January, and their next IDE will come without it. FD already dropped official support for it, and other IDEs are soon to follow. Good luck getting much help with your AS2 projects from then on.

Thank you for your opinion and information, I will try to look more into AS 3.

GMR516
GMR516
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 06:18 PM Reply

Eh, pretty good. If you press two keys at the same time, (the movement keys) then you go twice as fast.

Don't click me. Please.
^ DON'T CLICK IT.
^ LISTENT TO THAT.

Croser88
Croser88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Rpg Game - Gimme Some Feedback Jan. 20th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 1/20/13 06:18 PM, GMR516 wrote: Eh, pretty good. If you press two keys at the same time, (the movement keys) then you go twice as fast.

Fixed.