New Topic Respond to this Topic
Blackmilk69
Blackmilk69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Music programs 2013-01-19 10:00:58 Reply

Help, I've been on newgrounds for a couple of years now and I wanted to start making some music for the Audio portal. Do any of you know some good programs so I can make some dubstep and other genres of songs.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 10:04:31 Reply

FL Studio
Logic
Reason
Ableton Live
LMMS
PreSonus Studio One (the free version, if you're not financially inclined)

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 10:27:27 Reply

Personally, I'd recommend FL Studio, as it's got a really smooth and newbie-friendly interface.
If you're into tweaking knobs and playing with wires, try out Reason.

Go out and, erm... "Try before you buy" a few of the programs. Just try everything and see what works best for you!
I'm still on that search, and I've been music-ing for a good few years now!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 11:27:35 Reply

ffs I really hate how dubstep inspires people to make music and be good at it suddenly.

ugh.

lel

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 14:04:43 Reply

At 1/19/13 11:27 AM, Sequenced wrote: ffs I really hate how dubstep inspires people to make music and be good at it suddenly.

ugh.

Welcome to life, but what do you expect with younger generations and American education? Miracles?

Heh, good luck with that.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
ahriman22
ahriman22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 15:06:14 Reply

Try out Reaper's 60-day trial and get yourself some free VSTs like the TAL ones to see if this is even your thing. I had a friend say the same thing as you and after I showed him how to do the basics he just dropped it because he didn't have enough patience to sit down and compose.

Just because you want to, doesn't mean you can, dig?

ToxInjection
ToxInjection
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 15:58:56 Reply

At 1/19/13 11:27 AM, Sequenced wrote: ffs I really hate how dubstep inspires people to make music and be good at it suddenly.

ugh.

Well, frankly, I don't think it's that bad of a thing. More people trying to create music is rather beautiful. It's when they think that they can become a professional producer overnight, without any real effort on their part, that it becomes an issue. I myself became inspired to start making music with dubstep, but I know that I'm nowhere near "good" just yet. I recognize that it'll take me years before I can get to where I really want to be. That's the kind of attitude most people that try to get into making EDM need.

To get back on topic, I'd suggest FL Studios is you're just starting out. Like others have said, it's very newbie-friendly. It'll still take you a while to get used to everything, but it won't take you nearly as long as say, Reason or Logic. Don't take "newbie-friendly" as "newbies-only", however. You can still be capable of creating bangers just as people can in other software. It just takes time.

INJECT yourself with some of these TOXic tunes! Get it, because tox-...I'm sorry:

Newgrounds Uploads | Soundcloud! :D

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 19:50:01 Reply

ugh.

HEY GUYS, WHAT'S INDIVIDUAL OPINION?

Music is an art form, and like any art form people will continue to make what they like making.
If somebody is eager to start getting into music, you should help them, not heckle them just because they mentioned a word you don't like.

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 19:57:17 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:50 PM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
Music is an art form, and like any art form people will continue to make what they like making.
If somebody is eager to start getting into music, you should help them, not heckle them just because they mentioned a word you don't like.

it's not that.

i've just seen so many "omg i want to make dubstep" and think they can be super good at it threads.

don't judge me, I don't even know you.

lel

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-19 19:58:11 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:58 PM, ToxInjection wrote:

:Don't take "newbie-friendly" as "newbies-only", however. You can still be capable of creating bangers just as people can in other software. It just takes time.

Avicii, Afrojack, Skream, Benga and a lot of other big names use FL, just to give you an idea on what's possible :)

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-21 23:51:03 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:57 PM, Sequenced wrote: it's not that.

i've just seen so many "omg i want to make dubstep" and think they can be super good at it threads.

Then why shoot them down? They have dreams like all of us. they want to make it big in the music scene? Then help them out! Don't just shoot them down right off the bat because they want to do something you don't like.

Music programs

PotensVeneficus
PotensVeneficus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Music programs 2013-01-22 20:55:36 Reply

At 1/21/13 11:51 PM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/19/13 07:57 PM, Sequenced wrote: it's not that.

Then why shoot them down? They have dreams like all of us. they want to make it big in the music scene? Then help them out! Don't just shoot them down right off the bat because they want to do something you don't like.

I salute you, and I don't even know who the frig you are. Because I suck at all forms of making electro music. Yet I still try. Oh, and for the OP, I would recommend LMMS (Linix Multimedia Studio). It's basically a really cheap, crappy, yet free version of FL studio. Just download some good VST's and you should be good to go.

Steam ID- Snide Sphinx