New Topic Respond to this Topic
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:15:31 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:09 AM, Chemich wrote: Actually that's the way you're supposed to do it, I don't because I'm lazy as shit and know a million ways to get around my faults (mastering wise.)

According to who, exactly?

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:22:42 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:15 AM, DavidOrr wrote:
At 1/20/13 02:09 AM, Chemich wrote: Actually that's the way you're supposed to do it, I don't because I'm lazy as shit and know a million ways to get around my faults (mastering wise.)
According to who, exactly?

According to most industry standard professionals actually, but honestly the way they do things is already prepped for all of that. But honestly producers and composers have grown since of what I'm referring to, so honestly it doesn't -actually- matter as long as the finished product sounds to par.

Sad really, but it allows me more time to play Dark Souls at least?

Though it makes me miss the times when being a producer / composer was obscure and you'd have to go to college for it, nowadays you can go to college for it and still be out of a job. Good thing I never fell for that ridiculous scam...

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:49:20 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:22 AM, Chemich wrote:
According to most industry standard professionals actually, but honestly the way they do things is already prepped for all of that. But honestly producers and composers have grown since of what I'm referring to, so honestly it doesn't -actually- matter as long as the finished product sounds to par.

I've never heard or read that, but I'll take your word for it!

Though it makes me miss the times when being a producer / composer was obscure and you'd have to go to college for it, nowadays you can go to college for it and still be out of a job. Good thing I never fell for that ridiculous scam...

There is some truth to this, but only if your dead-set on struggling to make it as a producer doing gigs and self-promoting. Of course, while you're doing this, you're most likely working a part-time/full-time low-wage hourly job somewhere that saps your time and energy, providing resistance as you pursue your dreams. It's definitely doable, but very difficult. Having a college degree (or higher) opens up MANY options for teaching and research, which is extremely helpful as you build your career (I know from experience). Not only that, but you're constantly growing as both a musician and teacher as you work. The pay is much better -- all the music schools I'm familiar with will pay at least $30/hr). That's not to even mention the knowledge, experience, and connections you gain during your years earning your degree.

I know it's popular to bash degrees, but college can be looked at as insurance -- if you don't make it as a performing artist, at least you have a decent option to fall back on that involves your skills in music. There are private music schools across the country who constantly have openings pop up (especially in voice and piano instruction), and ANY bachelors or associates will open doors to jobs outside the field that pay more than $8/hr if you're patient. Without a degree, you put yourself in a do-or-die situation, with high risks and not a whole lot of attractive options should you not make it.

Ack -- sorry for hijacking this thread!

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:53:22 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:49 AM, DavidOrr wrote:
At 1/20/13 02:22 AM, Chemich wrote:
I've never heard or read that, but I'll take your word for it!

Well you won't really read anything about it, but if you go to most studio's you can basically just ask the guy in charge how things work. Sadly no one in charge of a studio does anything like I do, but I've heard similar things to as you do so I assume it'd be "industry standard etiquette."

There is some truth to this, but only if your dead-set on struggling to make it as a producer doing gigs and self-promoting. Of course, while you're doing this, you're most likely working a part-time/full-time low-wage hourly job somewhere that saps your time and energy, providing resistance as you pursue your dreams. It's definitely doable, but very difficult. Having a college degree (or higher) opens up MANY options for teaching and research, which is extremely helpful as you build your career (I know from experience). Not only that, but you're constantly growing as both a musician and teacher as you work. The pay is much better -- all the music schools I'm familiar with will pay at least $30/hr). That's not to even mention the knowledge, experience, and connections you gain during your years earning your degree.

I know it's popular to bash degrees, but college can be looked at as insurance -- if you don't make it as a performing artist, at least you have a decent option to fall back on that involves your skills in music. There are private music schools across the country who constantly have openings pop up (especially in voice and piano instruction), and ANY bachelors or associates will open doors to jobs outside the field that pay more than $8/hr if you're patient. Without a degree, you put yourself in a do-or-die situation, with high risks and not a whole lot of attractive options should you not make it.

Ack -- sorry for hijacking this thread!

To be honest I really dislike people so I'd never look at teaching as an option, nor would I ever -want- to teach. Personally I feel American education is EXTREMELY limiting and the curriculum is outdated and irrelevant to today's world. But being honest I learned all the skills of most college professionals, and by most I mean the things that matter (when it comes to making my own music.)

Also don't worry about hijacking threads here, I'm sure the mods appreciate any activity this forum gets. Unless if it's spam, or something that would relate to trolling.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 05:27:13 Reply

Like Chemich I organise my project files like a madman with a bad case of OCD. I have a strict and consistent colour-coding scheme. Every instrument, their corresponding rows in the playlist, their volume automation clips and their FX channels are all colour-coded properly, and with a little symbol to go with it. The darker the colour, the larger the instrument is.

Here's a preview of one of my project files.

Weird habits you think you have.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 05:48:30 Reply

At 1/20/13 05:27 AM, Step wrote:

here's a preview of one of my project files.

That looks so....

robotic. :O

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 07:34:39 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:53 AM, Chemich wrote: To be honest I really dislike people so

might want to work on that

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 07:56:50 Reply

At 1/20/13 07:34 AM, Buoy wrote:

Yep im guessing that you will have to deal with a few during your life....unless you go live with primates or something

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 09:00:17 Reply

Let me know when people stop being ignorant; or idiots in general, then maybe I'll consider doing so.

At 1/20/13 05:27 AM, Step wrote: Like Chemich I organise my project files like a madman with a bad case of OCD. I have a strict and consistent colour-coding scheme. Every instrument, their corresponding rows in the playlist, their volume automation clips and their FX channels are all colour-coded properly, and with a little symbol to go with it. The darker the colour, the larger the instrument is.

Here's a preview of one of my project files.

Pretty much mine are the same except I always have the automation run the full course (except during the drop / downlift of the song, for some reason I always end it on beat.)

I'll show an example when I'm less woken up, and more in the mood for printscreening.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 09:19:01 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:00 AM, Chemich wrote:
Let me know when people stop being ignorant; or idiots in general, then maybe I'll consider doing so.

you just sound like a dick

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 09:45:22 Reply

• Everyone Loves Dick Ep01
    Everyone Loves Dick Ep01 by DisasturJason

Episode one of Everyone Loves Dick: REMADE.

Score
    4.22 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only

Like this?

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 10:46:09 Reply

At 1/20/13 09:19 AM, Buoy wrote:

You sound like the type of person I'm talking about, however thanks for your input.

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 12:30:40 Reply

At 1/20/13 10:46 AM, Chemich wrote:
At 1/20/13 09:19 AM, Buoy wrote:
You sound like the type of person I'm talking about, however thanks for your input.

Okay. I'm going to have to say here - Chemich, you *are* acting like one.

That said, a lot of people are ignorant of various things and/or are socially inept. However - not all of them are, and you can't know who is or isn't until you actually bother to communicate with them. Having a baseline of "I dislike you because you're a person" (as you appear to be saying by the "I really dislike people" comment) is being somewhat ignorant yourself, and quite a pretentious arsehole.

Back on the topic of the thread, I work for hours on transitions and rarely accept anything less than perfect... I also have named projects various random names such as "Flipith", "Goldberg", and "GO!". All of these had absolutely nothing to do with the title.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
PotensVeneficus
PotensVeneficus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 20:52:40 Reply

Well I flat out suck so I use LMMS. So therefore the tripleocellator is like my child .

Steam ID- Snide Sphinx

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 22:03:06 Reply

I have this weird habit of cross tracking notes in tracker, perhaps just a habit left out after years squeezing on 3-4 channels mod tracking. One time a friend asked me to help him re master his song, I spent a whole day just to re arrange all the note and reduce 18 channels down to 10!

I like to backup strings with brass in orchestra music even a lot of time it's unnecessary.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 09:54:22 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:27 PM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/19/13 10:14 PM, Quarl wrote: I don't actually write music anymore. I just delete all the midi from old projects then hit random buttons until I get dubstep.
Oh look, a dubstep-is-terrible joke. Newgrounds hasn't got enough of those.

dude it's quarl, it's not even a joke :v

UMM i dont really have weird workflow habits in FL (okay maybe i do)

cbf naming/colouring anything - not patterns, instruments, tracks, channels, effects etc.

i also don't group channels or name recordings (i think i was up to untitled_Insert 1_300.wav before my hdd failed)

i don't have many good modern sample packs so i spend ages making my own out of shitty/old samples

i still sidechain with the peak controller

the default fruity compressor is probably my most commonly used effect

until recently i fucking hated automation clips and always used automation events (still do for recorded automation and some other things)

when i do make an automation clip i just let it stay where it lands on the playlist unless i need to move it or dupe it

recently i tend to just use samples for almost everything and very rarely use vst instruments and when i do i end up making songs with just the one shitty plugin for all the sounds

p.s. i am gay

Lich
Lich
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 10:13:09 Reply

I NEVER use any compression while actually making my tracks. I only use a Multiband Compressor in Audition CS6 on the Master channel and call it done after I have done Vocal-work as well.

My Kicks now always have Distortion usually with NI Driver and the Mid bands in the EQ are boosted higher (roughly 500hz to 3000hz boosted by roughly 40% in Fruity Parametric EQ 2). EBM/Aggro kicks just sound so good to me, I can't seem to grasp why alot of people make their kicks sound so soft and hidden in the back of the track. Any left-over grittiness which I don't want/need I usually use Reverb to cancel it out because I'm too lazy to do it any other way.

I can write all of my lyrics and record them all and apply all the necessary effects (Distortion, Reverb, Pitch Shifter for double-tracking without re-recording, EQ'ing and delay/echo) in under an hour but I spend probably double/triple the amount of time structuring my lead sound in the sequencer and piddling around with minor details in the final product.

I have about 15 projects which are like nearly finished but I have never bothered to finish off because I went too 'experimental'. One of them included all sorts of world instruments distorted and warped beyond belief and structured into some demonic folky track which I have barely had the motivation to try and finish off, yet less detailed tracks which are composed with the same(ish) kind of Supersaw lead and everything else I can power my way through and get finished & released.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 11:22:03 Reply

Cannot make an orchestral track without a few cellos in the background for 80% of the song.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 11:35:22 Reply

I ask my cat 'Do you think this sounds good?'
It never answers.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 11:43:48 Reply

At 1/21/13 11:35 AM, sweet21 wrote: I ask my cat 'Do you think this sounds good?'
It never answers.

just have a professional fix your cat and this shouldn't be a problem

Sottaceti
Sottaceti
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Writer
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 12:00:46 Reply

I obsessively use harps in every single song.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 20:37:37 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:31 PM, AJtheRipper wrote: |--
|--
|--
|--
|--2--------
|--0--0-0--

I always play this when starting out a song and I have to force myself to not.

Is that guitar tab?

At 1/20/13 02:06 AM, DavidOrr wrote: I frequently transpose my entire tracks as I'm writing them. I don't know anyone else who does this, but I find it gives me a fresh perspective on the music and helps me pick out balance issues. It can sometimes cause issues with samples if I've carefully mapped various CC's, as well as push the natural ranges of instruments, but the trade off is worth it. In the end, sometimes I'll go back to the original key, and other times I'll stick with the new key!

I do that too! It always adds some cool flair to it, I find.

At 1/21/13 09:54 AM, midimachine wrote: until recently i fucking hated automation clips and always used automation events (still do for recorded automation and some other things)

UGH, events are so hard to keep track of. I always use events. Regardless. But that's just me.
The last time I used events was when I was 13 and making awful excuses for "dubstep".

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 20:47:31 Reply

At 1/21/13 11:43 AM, Buoy wrote:
At 1/21/13 11:35 AM, sweet21 wrote: I ask my cat 'Do you think this sounds good?'
It never answers.
just have a professional fix your cat and this shouldn't be a problem

Compress dat

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Bafana
Bafana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 22:04:16 Reply

At 1/19/13 02:41 PM, sorohanro wrote: To my wife despair, I put a glockenspiel or a celesta in almost all projects.

Glockenspiel is a fun word to say.

Sometimes I set my project tempo to 180bpm and insert a hardcore distorted gabber drum. Pretend im dutch for 10 seconds then exit without saving.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-21 22:24:28 Reply

At 1/21/13 09:54 AM, midimachine wrote: until recently i fucking hated automation clips and always used automation events (still do for recorded automation and some other things)

UGH, events are so hard to keep track of. I always use events. Regardless. But that's just me.
The last time I used events was when I was 13 and making awful excuses for "dubstep".