New Topic Respond to this Topic
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 07:33:58 Reply

Do you guys have any habits rooted into your workflow that you think are weird/unorthodox/not normal? I hear a bunch of them from my friends and they're often really cool way to do things that I never thought of, being self-taught and all.

When I name my channels, I always give them weird names depending on how they sound (Ripper, growler, slider, floater, etc).

When I make dubstep/electro synths, I always make the synth patch, then completely cut off the low end and replace it with a clean sub.

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 09:45:33 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:33 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: Do you guys have any habits rooted into your workflow that you think are weird/unorthodox/not normal? I hear a bunch of them from my friends and they're often really cool way to do things that I never thought of, being self-taught and all.

When I name my channels, I always give them weird names depending on how they sound (Ripper, growler, slider, floater, etc).

When I make dubstep/electro synths, I always make the synth patch, then completely cut off the low end and replace it with a clean sub.

I never wear pants while making music. Somehow this boosts my creativity. I found out a while ago when I started a song after .. watching some videos on the internet.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 09:59:27 Reply

I make parts of songs then come back to them years and years later and only then finish them and publish them.

I also have an extremely rigorous naming scheme.

Weird habits you think you have.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 10:05:09 Reply

At 1/19/13 09:59 AM, Buoy wrote: I make parts of songs then come back to them years and years later and only then finish them and publish them.

I also have an extremely rigorous naming scheme.

Hm, looks at bit like my names. "neu", "hallo", "komisch" etc. . In the end, I don't know the song names at all, so a few months or years later it is always a nice surprise to open those old projects.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 10:22:58 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:05 AM, wandschrank wrote: Hm, looks at bit like my names. "neu", "hallo", "komisch" etc. . In the end, I don't know the song names at all, so a few months or years later it is always a nice surprise to open those old projects.

"Sorry, but 'FUCK.flp' already exists"

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 13:34:22 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:22 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/19/13 10:05 AM, wandschrank wrote: Hm, looks at bit like my names. "neu", "hallo", "komisch" etc. . In the end, I don't know the song names at all, so a few months or years later it is always a nice surprise to open those old projects.
"Sorry, but 'FUCK.flp' already exists"

Many of my project files are named assorted racial slurs, as well as a lot of my bass patches.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 13:56:53 Reply

Remove DC Offset
Normalize
Cut Itself

Every single sample... vst... whatever... must do it.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 14:41:28 Reply

To my wife despair, I put a glockenspiel or a celesta in almost all projects.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 14:50:07 Reply

A lot of my orchestral/piano melodies stem from guitar riffs.

On the flip side, some of my guitar riffs stem from my trance melodies.

I will also refuse to start writing a song unless I am able to work a minimum of 7 hours straight on it... Meaning, if I have to work later in the day, I will outright refuse to seriously write a song for fear of being interrupted and then never being able to get my flow back.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 14:51:03 Reply

You'll have to excuse my language here, but this is a terrible habit I think a lot of us have, maybe not so vulgar but it sure isn't practical...

I never really come up with a title for my audio track until after so the project file always has a un-related name so it makes it hard to remember which project file is which if I ever want to go back on something.

"stupidpoopshit.flp"
"shittypoop.flp"
"OMGWHYLOL.flp"

Turns out that some of those poorly named tracks are amazing orchestral pieces that I end up calling something like:
"Soliloquy"
"Beyond the Clouds"
"Dark Descent" <--- This one might actually be poop related? XD

I try to make normal project file names:
"OrchestraltrackAugust.flp"

But my weird habits usually take over -____-

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 14:58:01 Reply

^ ^ ^ this ^ ^ ^

I have like 200+ flp files all named "omfgscales" "fuckthisSHIITTT!!1" or "last try to a song" "this one is good" "perfect rhythm" "COOL MELODY 1" etc.

Sometimes I find something actually cool

SUCK MY KICK

stunkel
stunkel
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:05:04 Reply

At 1/19/13 02:51 PM, deadlyfishes wrote:
I never really come up with a title for my audio track until after so the project file always has a un-related name so it makes it hard to remember which project file is which if I ever want to go back on something.

"stupidpoopshit.flp"
"shittypoop.flp"
"OMGWHYLOL.flp"

But my weird habits usually take over -____-

That is so true... Then you have to go back and search for it... that's the worst.

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:09:05 Reply

At 1/19/13 02:41 PM, sorohanro wrote: To my wife despair, I put a glockenspiel or a celesta in almost all projects.

And I thought I was the only one that did this! Well, except in my case it's just the celesta. I can't make glocks work.

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:
[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:16:22 Reply

At 1/19/13 09:59 AM, Buoy wrote: I make parts of songs then come back to them years and years later and only then finish them and publish them.

Same here.
Also, i systematically add reverb to every channel.
And i seem to be able to work efficiently only at night.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:17:46 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:16 PM, Deflektor wrote: Also, i systematically add reverb to every channel.

i really hope you mean as sends and not inserts

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:29:38 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:17 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 1/19/13 03:16 PM, Deflektor wrote: Also, i systematically add reverb to every channel.
i really hope you mean as sends and not inserts

Yup, that's what i meant.

BBS Signature
ToxInjection
ToxInjection
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:47:32 Reply

The only weird habit that comes to mind is how I end up colour-coordinating my tracks while I work. The only other people I know that make music and colour-code their tracks do it randomly, just because. For me, I absolutely have to colour-code them based on what the sounds in that track sound like, or what kind of mood the melody/harmony in that track gives off. If it's something calming, I'll colour it with blue, or soft orange, and if it's something more dramatic, I'll go for red or grey. I feel like it helps with the creative process, as I can now link the track to those moods both musically AND visually.

INJECT yourself with some of these TOXic tunes! Get it, because tox-...I'm sorry:

Newgrounds Uploads | Soundcloud! :D

shieldurhope
shieldurhope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:55:05 Reply

I gots some bad naming habits: Other bad habits:
"New project" Use an open hihat in stead of a snare.
"new Project" Try to make everything 170 bpm (In case I make a dnb remix)
"New Project2" Bump eject button for drive drive with my knee
"Neo project" Never delete stuff (unless it my annual cleanup day)
"arp" Quantizing notes if they don't sound realistically played
"Focus here"
"Trying sumting"
"Good idea"

aslal
aslal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 15:57:12 Reply

Whenever I make a song in Ableton, I make all of the clips the same colour. I just can't have different coloured clips in the track.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 16:49:43 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:57 PM, aslal wrote: Whenever I make a song in Ableton, I make all of the clips the same colour. I just can't have different coloured clips in the track.

You maintain a pure aryan track. Would you say you exterminate the other colors?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

DuttonsaysHi
DuttonsaysHi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 16:52:07 Reply

I have a few weird habits I guess.

If I start a project that I like, I find it hard to start another project until it is completely finished and published.

I also do the weird name thing... Since I decide the title around the finished track, the file name of the project would be completely different. Like "TheGrandSea.mp3" would probably be "somestupidorchestralhousecrap.rns".

Oh, and when I spend a long time being unproductive, I try to force creativity. When I don't like what I come up with I go crazy and intentionally make something god awful. like make some horrible synth with over the top modulation, add a distortion unit and turn the damage all the way up then pan it completely to the left. Make some horrible beat consisting of samples from different genres, turn 'snap to grid' off and click like a mad man. Once I have my "beat" I pan it completely to the right then open some random soundfont, add a distortion unit to it and bit-crush it, drown it in reverb, hit record and mash my MIDI controller keyboard. Save it, render it then play it in beat hazard... Happens every time I come to a creative block.

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 16:53:53 Reply

Some examples of my sublime file naming skills.

"new project"
"new new project"
"new new new project"
"new project again"
"new project 2 renegade"
"thissuxballz"
"OMGWTF"
"LOLWUTgeez"
"soft postminimalist blues punk rock"
"atmospheric crap"
"nu spambient"

And so on.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 19:48:04 Reply

A lot of my project files seem to be messages to my future self, reopening the projects.

all i could think about while naming this snippit is caesar salad.flp
THE MOTHER OF ALL BASS PATCHES.alp
composed while being stoned to the high heavens.alp
SEND IT TO THE SMOGGY DEPTHS OF HELL AND NEVER LET IT RETURN.flp

SonicJ
SonicJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 20:36:58 Reply

I have nothing to add to this conversation, but wow. You guys have really interesting habits, some which I would apply to me own work flow !

Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study
Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature
Chrausner
Chrausner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 20:49:11 Reply

I have a habit of coloring certain tracks on the playlist while arranging the patterns.

For example, I always color my basses as green, the beats as red, the main instrument(s) as light purple, the strings/ambient sound as dark blue and the FX effects as dark purple or orange. Having them in other colors is just not acceptable.

I also seem to call my patterns in a rather unrepresentable way. For example, one of my main melodies' pattern is called 'FUCKYEAHYOLOSWAG", but I'll never know why I called it like that in the first place. Sometimes I even forget where each certain pattern is when the pattern count goes over 40.

| Level 23 | Captain | Deity Whistle | DnB Producer
MLP: FiM Crew - Elite Guard Barracks - AF Lounge
Be my friend and you'll receive a cookie. ^____^

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 22:14:53 Reply

I don't actually write music anymore. I just delete all the midi from old projects then hit random buttons until I get dubstep.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 22:27:46 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:14 PM, Quarl wrote: I don't actually write music anymore. I just delete all the midi from old projects then hit random buttons until I get dubstep.

Oh look, a dubstep-is-terrible joke. Newgrounds hasn't got enough of those.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-19 22:31:57 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:33 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: Do you guys have any habits rooted into your workflow that you think are weird/unorthodox/not normal? I hear a bunch of them from my friends and they're often really cool way to do things that I never thought of, being self-taught and all.

|--
|--
|--
|--
|--2--------
|--0--0-0--

I always play this when starting out a song and I have to force myself to not.

DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:06:34 Reply

I frequently transpose my entire tracks as I'm writing them. I don't know anyone else who does this, but I find it gives me a fresh perspective on the music and helps me pick out balance issues. It can sometimes cause issues with samples if I've carefully mapped various CC's, as well as push the natural ranges of instruments, but the trade off is worth it. In the end, sometimes I'll go back to the original key, and other times I'll stick with the new key!

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Weird habits you think you have. 2013-01-20 02:09:21 Reply

At 1/20/13 02:06 AM, DavidOrr wrote: I frequently transpose my entire tracks as I'm writing them. I don't know anyone else who does this, but I find it gives me a fresh perspective on the music and helps me pick out balance issues. It can sometimes cause issues with samples if I've carefully mapped various CC's, as well as push the natural ranges of instruments, but the trade off is worth it. In the end, sometimes I'll go back to the original key, and other times I'll stick with the new key!

Actually that's the way you're supposed to do it, I don't because I'm lazy as shit and know a million ways to get around my faults (mastering wise.)

However, I organize my projects immensely. I separate kicks, hats, percs, synths, bass, leads, melodies, fx, vocals... and automation clips go on the corresponding channel. Could call it OCD, I just hate looking at a mess with I load up a project. Feels much more rewarding when you organize something and go back to it, also give you the mindset of a professional (even though it's a simple task at best.)

My second contribution to this thread, only because I thought of it recently.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature