New Topic Respond to this Topic
grachamoncha
grachamoncha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 02:07 PM Reply

So, I've dabbled a bit in dubstep/chillstep/electronic music in general but I would like to give orchestral scores a spin and see what I can manage to do. I have a lot of knowledge with piano and such like but I just need some guidelines on how to get started. Much appreciated.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 02:36 PM Reply

find good sounds

study orchestration

emulate inspiring scores styles

experiment

have fun

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 02:48 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 02:36 PM, Breed wrote: find good sounds

Im still stuck in this part xD

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 02:54 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 02:36 PM, Breed wrote: find good sounds

study orchestration

emulate inspiring scores styles

experiment

have fun

What he said.
And even if you don't have the best sounds, try making good of the sounds that you have and turning them into a good addition into your orchestral score.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 03:28 AM Reply

A lot of it lies in EQing and effects. You can get some pretty lush piano sounds of FL Keys (shock horror!) with some creative EQing and reverb.

As for orchestral sounds, a huge sample pack might be your best bet; they use alot of sing-hit samples which sound good when played right.
I don't use any, but some googling might help!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:10 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 03:28 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: A lot of it lies in EQing and effects.

Yes. You can have the best sounds out there but without EQing them properly and adding right amounts of reverb they'll still sound bad with each other.

Listen to lots of orchestral music helps too. Here's some to get you started.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 07:28 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 06:10 AM, Step wrote: Listen to lots of orchestral music helps too. Here's some to get you started.

Nice music!

Also, as cliché as it sounds, you need to forget everything you've learned about producing electronic music (to an extent). Dynamics, instrumentation, structure, pitch, expressive techniques, rhythm and a lot of other things differ massively between traditional orchestral music and modern dance music. In some areas you'll need to pay more attention, and in some you may need to pay less.

In short, orchestra is a whole different beast. Just keep that in mind!
(this was directed at the OP, too, not the dude I just quoted :P )

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

grachamoncha
grachamoncha
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 10:04 AM Reply

Thanks all for the tips, we'll see how I do. Step 1: Find Sounds. Lets go.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 07:51 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 10:04 AM, grachamoncha wrote: Thanks all for the tips, we'll see how I do. Step 1: Find Sounds. Lets go.

Best of luck! Make sure to upload your stuff so we can hear/scout it :)

DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 03:45 AM Reply

listen to orchestral pieces and base it off that

that is what I am doing, but you can also do a hybrid of orchestra and house/trance/electro.

hope you do well!

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Orchestral FL studio 10 help! Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 02:28 PM Reply

At 1/18/13 02:07 PM, grachamoncha wrote: So, I've dabbled a bit in dubstep/chillstep/electronic music in general but I would like to give orchestral scores a spin and see what I can manage to do. I have a lot of knowledge with piano and such like but I just need some guidelines on how to get started. Much appreciated.

There's way too much to say about orchestral music, and it's much more than producing a track with common orchestra instruments... There's quite a bit of background knowledge you must have on orchestral instruments to really exploit their strengths and how to apply their strengths in the context of large orchestral ensemble works.

A lot of the material that has been posted is a great place for reference and learning the basics which you really should spend a lot of time doing.

I started studying piano and learning composition at the very young age of 8 and I picked up FL Studio version 2.0 when I heard about it and started the same way you did with electronic music and then moved on to actually produce orchestral works with in FL Studio to produce the closest realistic orchestral sound as possible for me at the time.

You really can't rely on learning basic compositional, theory and orchestration techniques within a DAW like FL studio, I would suggest getting some sort of notation program and start there, and once you get a better feel for it you would feel much more comfortable composing in a DAW.

Also it's hard to force yourself to sit at the computer trying to speed-learn composition/orchestration/fundamental theory. It's not going to happen overnight. Just as any instrumentalist, you need to spend a lot of time "practicing" your craft.

If you want I can help you 1-on-1 if you'd like. I've been using FL and composing orchestral music for years now so I think I might be right up in your alley in terms of what your looking to do.

Check out the stuff in my signature if you wanna hear some of my work. 99.9% of it was produced in FL Studio, and most of it was eventually notated in Sibelius for live players. My YouTube channel mostly has video captured footage of my large orchestral works playing back in FL, which might give you a good idea what a huge orchestral project looks like in FL Studio.

You can PM me or find my skype contact info in my profile.

Hope this helps! :]

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature