New Topic Respond to this Topic
HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Help making a synth 2013-01-18 11:26:04 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3Q3ux5Rfc Sound starts at 0:44 and it is not the growly bass thing. It is that super thick saw synth.

Extremely overused, can't seem to make anything like it. Skrillex, Knife Party and Pegboard Nerds use it to death. So how the hell does one make this synth? I have NI Massive lol

...this is not going to end well.

Cookie for the genius who know how this is done

lol fuk u

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-19 03:22:20 Reply

At 1/18/13 11:26 AM, HyperTrough wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3Q3ux5Rfc Sound starts at 0:44 and it is not the growly bass thing. It is that super thick saw synth.

Extremely overused, can't seem to make anything like it. Skrillex, Knife Party and Pegboard Nerds use it to death. So how the hell does one make this synth? I have NI Massive lol

...this is not going to end well.

Cookie for the genius who know how this is done

Ooh, this is nice! Big ups Zomboy.

Anyway, that is done with a saw wave, a little bit of distortion, and some glide/LFO on the pitch. Soeme vibrato in some places too.

The "thickness" is not in the synth, but in the sub bass that plays under the synth. Just make a similar thing with a saw wave and play a deep sine wave sub bass under it. Easy as! :)

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-19 22:16:02 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:22 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
Ooh, this is nice! Big ups Zomboy.

Anyway, that is done with a saw wave, a little bit of distortion, and some glide/LFO on the pitch. Soeme vibrato in some places too.

The "thickness" is not in the synth, but in the sub bass that plays under the synth. Just make a similar thing with a saw wave and play a deep sine wave sub bass under it. Easy as! :)

What about that funny machiney synth sound that sorta goes WHEEEER? It pops up at about 1:10 ish or so for about a second.

On top of the distortion and slight detuning, It has all these weird partials, and I can't seem to get anything close to it, not to mention I hear it every so often in plenty of Dubstep tracks, especially in stuff like Skrillex. I've been using FM synths to try and emulate it, but I got nothing.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-19 22:29:59 Reply

At 1/19/13 10:16 PM, CidiousClef wrote:
What about that funny machiney synth sound that sorta goes WHEEEER? It pops up at about 1:10 ish or so for about a second.

On top of the distortion and slight detuning, It has all these weird partials, and I can't seem to get anything close to it, not to mention I hear it every so often in plenty of Dubstep tracks, especially in stuff like Skrillex. I've been using FM synths to try and emulate it, but I got nothing.

I'm not sure what kinda sound you're referring to, but a lot of it is (usually) FM synthesis or simple saw-waves with modulation/filters/distortion.

I guess I could try and write up a tutorial later on!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-20 01:41:54 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:22 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: Anyway, that is done with a saw wave, a little bit of distortion, and some glide/LFO on the pitch. Soeme vibrato in some places too.

Yeah I also think the base of the sound is a saw wave. Detuning saw waves only gives you the leads that a lot of trance and house tracks take advantage of. Mr Fijiwiji exploits the shit out of those synths and they sound really nice, but his leads sound nothing like this. As for the sub bass, I also think there is that layered with the synth, but I know that it is not the thing that gives "thickness".

Honestly just sounds like a modulated wavetable from Massive

lol fuk u

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-20 11:51:47 Reply

At 1/20/13 01:41 AM, HyperTrough wrote:
Honestly just sounds like a modulated wavetable from Massive

See, I don't have Massive so I wouldn't actually know about that.

But I guess I do now.

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Help making a synth 2013-01-21 20:43:43 Reply

At 1/20/13 11:51 AM, CidiousClef wrote: See, I don't have Massive so I wouldn't actually know about that.

But I guess I do now.

You'd be silly not to have Massive in this day and age as a producer.