Be a Supporter!

What are handguns really meant for?

  • 1,392 Views
  • 84 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:36:13 Reply

You can't really hunt with them (there goes the hunting argument) or use them to fasten boards (tool argument).

However, you certainly can hurt, kill, or even threaten living things - Or even yourself.

It seems like the only harmless thing you can do with them is shoot inanimate objects for recreational target practice.

Now I'm not necessarily anti-gun, or against the second amendment; I'm just trying to make an argument based in logic.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:37:13 Reply

Self defence I guess.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:37:34 Reply

They are flossing and pistol whipping your trashy wife.

notYert
notYert
  • Member since: May. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:38:14 Reply

to blast on some punks


BBS Signature
1930
1930
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:38:59 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: However, you certainly can hurt, kill, or even threaten living things - Or even yourself.

Well you can hunt with them then..


Otto, what a guy.

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:39:37 Reply

They're meant for shooting people at close range, obviously. It would be very nice if bad people didn't have access to them.


It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
TNT
TNT
  • Member since: Jul. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:41:14 Reply

Handguns are usually used for self-defense, but people may have them for a collection, or for illegal use.


Latest song cover: Rock Is Dead.
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2002
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:41:40 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:38 PM, 1930 wrote: Well you can hunt with them then..

You'd have to get fairly close to your prey to make a successful kill - And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.

tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:42:25 Reply

if i need to use a handgun for self defense im in the wrong neighborhood...
if i have to use a handgun for home defense.. that means that the robber has come prepared with a gun and is ready to use it.. so im not going to fuck with them...

i have a little .22 for target practice... it goes pew pew pew and i can keep shooting all day because 10 rounds are about as expensive as .03$


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:42:28 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:41 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 1/17/13 06:38 PM, 1930 wrote: Well you can hunt with them then..
You'd have to get fairly close to your prey to make a successful kill - And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.

You can if you aim really well to its arm.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
1930
1930
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:44:11 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:41 PM, Painbringer wrote: And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.

Their skulls aren't impervious to bullets..


Otto, what a guy.

BBS Signature
ngfanboy1
ngfanboy1
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:45:18 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: It seems like the only harmless thing you can do with them is shoot inanimate objects for recreational target practice.

Now I'm not necessarily anti-gun, or against the second amendment; I'm just trying to make an argument based in logic.

Self defense I guess

notYert
notYert
  • Member since: May. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:45:53 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:41 PM, Painbringer wrote: And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.

i bet i could bitch


BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:46:41 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:44 PM, 1930 wrote:
At 1/17/13 06:41 PM, Painbringer wrote: And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.
Their skulls aren't impervious to bullets..

if you got the balls to know that you have to get close to a bear and then equally hve to use a pistol to kill a bear... by shooting it in the head..

then holy shit


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Member since: May. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:47:19 Reply

Sundown duels.

Slint
Slint
  • Member since: Nov. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 18:48:07 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:47 PM, o0-0o wrote: Sundown duels.

Good point.


Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
LocoJoe
LocoJoe
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:05:04 Reply

A handgun is a sidearm. When that rifle runs out and there's still shooting to be done you pull your your sidearm. Pretty simple really.


Sig by BabiesAteMyDingo

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Member since: Mar. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:09:24 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: Now I'm not necessarily anti-gun, or against the second amendment; I'm just trying to make an argument based in logic.

Okay, so what exactly is your argument? As of this post you haven't clearly stated it.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Member since: Jan. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:11:31 Reply

Killing a terrible OP.

cocks shotgun

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:12:20 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: You can't really hunt with them (there goes the hunting argument) or use them to fasten boards (tool argument).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PInyXzaE1ug

.40 caliber is an extremely common handgun round. There goes that shitty counter-argument that you made up with no basis at all.

tool
/toÍzol/
Noun
A device or implement, esp. one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function.

Verb
Impress a design on (leather).

There goes your shitty counter-argument that you made up with no basis at all.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:15:02 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:36 PM, Painbringer wrote: You can't really hunt with them (there goes the hunting argument) or use them to fasten boards (tool argument).

Self defense.

However, you certainly can hurt, kill, or even threaten living things - Or even yourself.

People that aren;t crazy don't do these things. And most handguns (ones that aren't shit anyway), make it pretty hard to accidentally discharge

It seems like the only harmless thing you can do with them is shoot inanimate objects for recreational target practice.

Exactly. Many people collect guns, same way many people collect cars, or anything else. They just buy them because they like them. Shooting is fun.

Some people buy them for investment purposes.

Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:15:07 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:41 PM, Painbringer wrote: And you can't really kill a bear with a pistol.

Do you pull everything you know out of falseties seen in movies and videogames? Or do you have practical knowledge and have been bear hunting several times before?

tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:15:35 Reply

thats what i love about this argument

instantly from how someone talks you can see if their off their rocker.. a hippie.. or dont care

people that support the idea of handguns are off their nut
people that want to get rid of them are hippies
and people that dont care ... well .. dont buy into either and simply watch what the 2 sides say


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Saen
Saen
  • Member since: Feb. 22, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Reader
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:17:30 Reply

How can I chew ma tabaccie without mah pistol huh!? It gienst th' constitootion!!

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:19:15 Reply

Shooting

The same thing all guns are for


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Member since: Jan. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:21:07 Reply

At 1/17/13 06:39 PM, Tremulos wrote: They're meant for shooting people at close range, obviously. It would be very nice if bad people didn't have access to them.

Really depends on what your definition of what "bad" is.


happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Member since: Mar. 13, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:22:38 Reply

At 1/17/13 07:21 PM, RandomRoarness wrote:
At 1/17/13 06:39 PM, Tremulos wrote: They're meant for shooting people at close range, obviously. It would be very nice if bad people didn't have access to them.
Really depends on what your definition of what "bad" is.

if you define it as someone that has the intention to harm another person.. then everyone is fucked for the ability to buy a handgun..
that is without heavy psych testing


call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
JBK
JBK
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Gamer
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:23:05 Reply

They're meant to be tapes under tables around the house and strapped to your leg for the purpose of self defense.


"Even though you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox
"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those pants are just adorable"-Gagsy
Last.fm

BBS Signature
Richard
Richard
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Animator
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:30:01 Reply

BUT GUYS, IM GAY, CANADIAN, HAIRY, AND I DONT LIKE GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNS

http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41196/

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to What are handguns really meant for? 2013-01-17 19:32:13 Reply

At 1/17/13 07:30 PM, Richard wrote: BUT GUYS, IM GAY, CANADIAN, HAIRY, AND I DONT LIKE GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNS

http://www.wnd.com/2007/04/41196/

It kinda makes me sad that so many people are so easily manipulated by the media, and in turn have some kind of deep rooted hate for guns.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature