New Topic Respond to this Topic
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 03:18 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 04:26 PM, camoshark wrote: I think it's a matter of finding your niche and concentrating on becoming the best in that specific niche, rather than trying to be the best at emulating someone else.

That can be debated. I saw this one guy on Soundcloud the other day that was doing a sorta eptic/Xilent-style wall-of-screaming-synths style - his handle was Rawborg or something - and he absolutely kicked arse at it. My closest mate Guerrilla Warfare is doing a dark and deep dubstep thing, taking cues from a lot of the old dubstep heads back in the day. He's kicking arse. My other close interstate m8 AtomSmasha is doing this Rig-/Noisia-esque neuro shit. He kicks arse at it too.

On the other end of the spectrum, a few of my local mates and myself are founding a genre based around juke, trap and chopped-n-screwed, affectionately titled "scuff" - 96bpm productions crammed with 808s, lovely synth pads, and chopped breaks. While we're all pretty good at doing it, and probably the best at it, it sure as hell isn't getting us famous.

I also have a few friends doing their own take on juke and footwork in their two-man interstate project B.O.O.M.A. They've received quite the bit of local recognition for it, and they've pretty much nailed the hell out of their style.
A few of my friends in the chipthrash scene are doing this blend of chiptune and digital hardcore, which has gathered them a lot of recognition and praise. My mate Juan performs under the handle KOOL SKULL and plays a lot of LA gigs.

The point is this: having a niche of your own is no better or pride-worthy than piggy-backing on another niche's sound. There's no reason to hold one in higher regard than any other!!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 05:02 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 03:18 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote:
At 1/17/13 04:26 PM, camoshark wrote: I think it's a matter of finding your niche and concentrating on becoming the best in that specific niche, rather than trying to be the best at emulating someone else.
The point is this: having a niche of your own is no better or pride-worthy than piggy-backing on another niche's sound. There's no reason to hold one in higher regard than any other!!

Which leads me to the question: would I rather have music that rakes in cash or music that is fulfilling? This is for each of us to answer.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 07:24 AM Reply

At 1/19/13 05:02 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Which leads me to the question: would I rather have music that rakes in cash or music that is fulfilling? This is for each of us to answer.

^ Oh, of course! The whole argument is subjective. You just gotta figure out what you want to do and where you want to go with your music!

Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 01:46 PM Reply

Find something you like making and stick with it. Don't try to variate too much from that niche.

This is how you gain a loyal fanbase. It may be cool that you can produce 45 different styles, but just take a look at every time a big name artist tries a different genre (IE anytime Skrillex does anything but "OH MY GOD WHWABWBWBAWABWAWBAB") their fanbase gets upset and says they like their "older" style better. One of the few people who have successfully been able to do it is Tiesto, but that's because he's about 90 years old.

I'm not saying don't experiment, just recognize that people will start to listen to your for your sound.

Finally, as cliche as it sounds, don't listen to haters. Take criticism with a grain of salt as you're making the music you like to make , but you still have to realize that you want others to enjoy it as well.

As a side note, don't be afraid to be assertive. Get your stuff out there, and don't let it sit stagnant on NG alone.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 01:47 PM Reply

For OP's particular question, I would guess he's more focused on raking in cash than fulfilling his inner music spirit or whatever.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:47 PM, Envy wrote:
For OP's particular question, I would guess he's more focused on raking in cash than fulfilling his inner music spirit or whatever.

Probably true considering the fact anyone that posts music here nowadays either has been here forever, or just wants their foot in the door to those professional scams we know as "Record Labels."

Which by the way if your only intent in creating music is to make money; you either have to suck a lot of dick, or you either have to be a legitimately amazing and non stop bomb dropping producer. As for me I could be the second thing, but honestly I haven't the motivation or ability to care about doing such.

So in regards to that my ultimate reason for making music is "for the lulz." Really I just do it for myself so I have something interesting to listen to when everything else get's too boring to give a shit about.

If you're still willing to sign with a record label after reading this, I honestly wish you luck...

sucker...

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Rhoder
Rhoder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:47 PM, Envy wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear on this one. I just want to have an active fanbase of somewhere between 5k - 10k. making money with my music would be awesome, but that's not the reason why I make music. I make it for people to listen to and for the joy of making it.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to how does one become successful? Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 01:46 PM, Envy wrote: Find something you like making and stick with it. Don't try to variate too much from that niche.

This is how you gain a loyal fanbase. It may be cool that you can produce 45 different styles, but just take a look at every time a big name artist tries a different genre (IE anytime Skrillex does anything but "OH MY GOD WHWABWBWBAWABWAWBAB") their fanbase gets upset and says they like their "older" style better. One of the few people who have successfully been able to do it is Tiesto, but that's because he's about 90 years old.

I'm not saying don't experiment, just recognize that people will start to listen to your for your sound.

Finally, as cliche as it sounds, don't listen to haters. Take criticism with a grain of salt as you're making the music you like to make , but you still have to realize that you want others to enjoy it as well.

As a side note, don't be afraid to be assertive. Get your stuff out there, and don't let it sit stagnant on NG alone.

I get what you mean, and I kinda agree. But it's still nice to variate and deviate a bit. the only reason people don't think Skrillex can pull off this new sound is because of the controversy he's stirred up in the EDM game. A lot of artists have their sound and sometimes add a twist (tempo change, collaborations, etc etc) to make it more interesting, which is what the fans often like!

I'd go on about making music for yourself, but that doesn't seem to be the topic ;)