Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Head phones? Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 11:50 PM Reply

(the rant)
I recently bought a pretty cheap pair of head phones called the coby cv 320. They had really good reviews, 20-20khtz range. ear cup model, sound canceling, the works. On paper they looked really nice, seeing as they were advertised as a set of mixing mastering head phones and had the specs of them. However i recently got them and listened to various things with them and they sound like listening to music through a conch shell. Everything is muffled and sounds literally like you were listening through a conch shell ( no better way to describe it)

(the question)
So i was wondering if any one knew of some good head phones that have good sound. What are some head phones you all use when mixing and mastering songs. Do you have any recommendations or suggestions on some to get?

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 12:43 AM Reply

Sennheiser HD 202's, used them forever now. Only problem is bass is a bit low compared to what it needs to be, but that could be because my soundcard is crap. Honestly they're really awesome headphones though.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Echnaret
Echnaret
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 01:37 AM Reply

What is your price range?

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's that I really like. However, they're a bit more expensive than the pair you got.

I just released a short story about a Penguin who goes fishing. It's like Peter and the Wolf, but more self-critical.
Listen!

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 01:37 AM, Echnaret wrote: What is your price range?

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's that I really like. However, they're a bit more expensive than the pair you got.

id like not to break 100 if possible

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 02:57 AM Reply

There's 3 headphones I almost always suggest for beginners. 30 dollars just wont cut it for mixing on any pair of headphones that I know of....including the 205s there mr.chemich. There's just too many flaws cheap material can introduce.

First has already been mentioned--the Sennheiser HD280's. They come off as a bit strong in the mid area, and are a bit tight if you have a bigger head. Both of these make them a bit more subject to ear fatigue then the other two I'm soon to mention. Despite that though, these are probably the most accurate playback devices of the sub hundred range, making them my top choice for the mixes sake.

Second would be the Shure SRH440s. These things are relatively comfy and can take a beating. They are Shure so they are American made and MILSPEC meaning they literally test this stuff in chemical warfare, shot with weapons, dropped from high distances, etc...on a military base. Very high security, very cool stuff. They are a little bit skewed to the low end, by which i mean bass is somewhat lacking and highs are a bit....high, but you can still accomodate for that once you get to know them just the same as the mids on the HD280s. This definitely makes them viable as a choice and could benefit you more on longer studio sesions.

Last but not least is an old time fav--Sony HDR7506s. Yes...its a long model name. If I didnt sell this stuff I wouldnt remember it either, but alas they are a studio classic. They are easy on the head with smaller cup size then the HD280s or SRH440s, and provide equal accuracy to the 440s. They are also a bit skewed to the lower end. They arent my go tos anymore but they are for a lot of people.

They are all popular headphones in the pro audio world so if you can find yourself a music store that lets you demo headphones and has them.....do so first. Then buy em from those guys too, cuz retail stores need the love. Plus most places will match internet pricing so you can bring in a sale price from another site....which is whats key to getting these under 100 bucks. They normally sell for right AT 100....meaning tax will get you over a bit likely. BUT....find a sale on any site for them for less, and wam bam...get the deal almost anywhere, stay under 100.

wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 06:48 AM Reply

Just to throw some AKG headphones in, AKG is a high-quality headphones manufacturer from Austria and also produces there!

http://eu.akg.com/akg-product-detail-eu/k272-hd.html . I just found them for 270$ on Amazon, in Europe you can get them Around 115 â'¬. But you can also look out for the 142 HD and the 172 HD (you may want an audio interface / headphone amp / good soundcard for the 172.).

The 272 HD (which I own) sound so analytical that nearly all of my electronic songs sound like shit, in a good way. For the price I paid, I could not find better headphones with such clear heights. The bass, however, sounds very flat, clear and more quiet then I was used to from other headphones, but reaches frequencies my studio monitors can't reproduce decently (they are linear till ~37 hz). Those headphones do not color the mix in any way and are VERY comfy to wear even for hours. But I would not pay 270$ for it. Maybe you are lucky and can snatch them for 100 somewhere.

Anyhow, the recommendations already given are surely great. Just also consider AKG when you look for headphones.. if you like an analytical, (mostly) neutral sound. :)

digital-musician
digital-musician
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 09:39 AM Reply

I used to own a set of AKG 141 MkII's & they were awesome :) Pretty accurate sound reproduction & were flat EQ so they didn't add anything to the mix that you hadn't added yourself. Though headphone choice is entirely up to you based on what your budget & taste is. Personally I don't like the bass being to over exaggerated, because it tends to flood the mix & make everything seem to muddy. But again, it's up to you & what style or genre of music you are making.

Biggyzoom
Biggyzoom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 01:38 PM Reply

Well I use Sennheiser HD650s which are beyond your price range. They retail at around £320 I believe. They are regarded very highly in Sound On Sound magazine are some reviews claim them to be better than most sub-£500 monitors.

EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 02:37 PM Reply

+1 for the Shure SRH440.

BBS Signature
Zafrece
Zafrece
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 04:42 PM Reply

Thanks all for the help and information.

DJDela
DJDela
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Head phones? Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 02:37 PM, EagleGuard wrote: +1 for the Shure SRH440.

This