Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 05:36 PM Reply

tldr

So I was writing some back story to a science fiction I'm working on, which I hope to turn into a graphic novel/game fiction, but won't get in to all of it ITT. The Soviets developed something like this in the cold war, but the Outer Space Treaty (lol) "prevents" anyone from putting WMD's in space. My fiction's backstory involves a second "cold war" in which the USA violates the treaty around 2080. Overpopulation, severe climate change, and dwindling resources push the US/Japan Alliance, EU, Russia, and IndoChina Alliance into a global fight to survive through adaptive city-building technology as Earth becomes increasingly barren.

Basically, I developed the OFM "Black Head". It's a highly developed weapon system that requires more investment than sub orbital missile systems.

Step one, the missile parts are shipped up to the OFS (orbital firing station), a kind of militarized version of the ISS. The missile carries either one or three 80 megaton hydrogen payloads, which are modeled after the AN602 hydrogen bomb. Step 2, the missile is assembled at the OFS station and positioned in the launching dock. The OFS contains the targeting and calculation systems that can strike any target on earth within inches, given the time at which the orbit and rotation of the planet line up. Much of the Black Head's weight is in the head, which is comprised of an advanced thermal soak shield for atmospheric entry. The fuel cost of operating the Black Head is about .1% of what it takes to fly an ICBM all around the globe, because all that is needed is the initial speed burst, which is conservative in zero-gravity

I considered what a bomb's main purpose really is. Do you want to level a city like Dresden in 1944, or do you want to completely destroy it? Step 3, the Black Head is fired. It builds up enough velocity to enter the atmosphere at 50 miles per second (~180,000 mph). It slams into it's target, but does not detonate in the air like all modern warheads do. Instead, it burys about 30-50 feet under ground before detonation. This would not only destroy a city, but evaporate it's infrastructure (the most important part of a city) and also permanently irradiate the ground and water supply, leading to vast Radon poisoning. It's effect could be felt for over 100 miles. The Three Prong Black Head deploys it's triple payload in a triangular fashion before impact, having a carpet bomb effect.

Because of the striking speed, no possible defense could be used to stop this missile. With such devastation, there is no coming back. Why does Nagasaki still exist? Probably because the Fat Man blew up like 1000 feet above ground. I think that was the USA in 1945 being merciful. The USA in 2145 however, is not.

Does this sound interesting? This is just backstory which plays little to no role in the main scope, which takes place about 400 years later (haven't decided). I've been working on this since I was 14, I have about 120some pages of ideas and drawings. This was one of the latest I thought up during last night's haze sesh, and fits in nicely. Too bad the Soviets had already thought this up, but I gave it my personal touch.

didn't draw this, but it's along the line.

Orbit Fired Balistic Missle

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
MushookieMan
MushookieMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

Atomic weapons detonated in the air (air burst) focus the shock wave into a 'mach stem' which kills more people and destroys everything more effectively.

A bomb detonated underground has its energy dissipated much more effectively and would have a smaller blast radius.

Having it bury 30-50 feet would cause immense amounts of irradiated dirt to be cast up into the atmosphere and be carried by the winds, harming everyone on the planet, including the nation that attacked.

I don't understand your sci-fi characters' motivation to develop an ineffective weapon.

BBS Signature
ChopstickClock
ChopstickClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 07:53 PM Reply

Aren't three 80 megaton charges kind of overkill? That's like 2 and a half Tsar Bombs... I also don't see the EU aligning with China and Russia on anything, but whatever.

teh Clock Crew will n3vr die. and dont u underline mai authority agen or ill g0 clyde shafe on ur ass

BBS Signature
psycho-squirrel
psycho-squirrel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 11:35 PM Reply

I would buy a book about that. Actually I think you should. I am already very interested.

BBS Signature
tox
tox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Audiophile
Response to Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 11:37 PM Reply

before we start killing each other i would hope that we actually cast out into space and develop planet crackers and stations on moons and what not

call me toxie 0.~
reached vet status by RacistBassist , fuckyeah.jpg

BBS Signature
Mason
Mason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Orbit Fired Balistic Missle Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 04:24 AM Reply

Page one
No Rods from God system
ISHOOPEDY DOGGIDY DIP

Seriously though OP, check out the Rods from God system. It launches telephone pole sized pieces of guided tungsten from orbit.