Be a Supporter!

"electronic music sounds the same"

  • 2,131 Views
  • 102 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 18
Musician
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, captainlolz wrote: if they can't transcribe into notation then no music theory is used

Please, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 10:46 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, captainlolz wrote: if they can't transcribe into notation then no music theory is used
Please, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I like what this man is saying.


lel

captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 10:46 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 1/17/13 10:39 PM, captainlolz wrote:

Please, just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

butthurt electronic "music" "producer"


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 11:52 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 11:47 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 1/17/13 11:41 PM, captainlolz wrote: butthurt electronic "music" "producer"
teach me to be good at debating like you!! is it the scare quotes or the ad hominem that'll make me the best?

this isn't a debate,this thread topic is opinion based "electronic music sounds the same". but electronics music really doesn't use notation ergo music theory


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 17th, 2013 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 1/17/13 11:52 PM, captainlolz wrote: this isn't a debate,this thread topic is opinion based "electronic music sounds the same". but electronics music really doesn't use notation ergo music theory

1. No, weather a given genre generally sounds the same or not is not an opinion, it would be a fact. An opinion would be weather or not a given individual generally likes a genre.

2. Do you listen to your tv buzzing after you turn it on and think that's electronic music. Because 90% of all electronic music I've ever heard uses notation. It doesn't sound like a traditional instrument, that doesn't mean it doesn't use notation.

You've got at least 4 people trying to explain to you how wrong you are, can't you take a hint?


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 11:57 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/17/13 11:52 PM, captainlolz wrote:
You've got at least 4 people trying to explain to you how wrong you are, can't you take a hint?

confirmation bias logical fallacy,and no they didn't explain all they told me was to shut up with


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:03 AM, captainlolz wrote: confirmation bias logical fallacy,and no they didn't explain all they told me was to shut up with

Because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. At this point I'm not defending electronic music, I'm defending musical theory, because you're pissing all over it.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:11 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:08 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:03 AM, captainlolz wrote:
Because you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

considering how i have studied music theory for 3 years,and can read music i do believe i know what i'm talking about


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

NothingStudios
NothingStudios
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:12 AM Reply

confirmation bias logical fallacy,and no they didn't explain all they told me was to shut up with

I'm sorry, but you're acting like an autistic. I don't even mean that as an insult, I know an autistic guy who argues about stuff like this and wont listen to logic.


;333333333

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:11 AM, captainlolz wrote: considering how i have studied music theory for 3 years,and can read music i do believe i know what i'm talking about

Then either you learned it wrong, or you've never heard a single electronic song in your entire existence on earth.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:16 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 08:57 PM, captainlolz wrote: their is no musical notation for electonic "music" therefore it's not music.mp3 samples mixied together does not count as arrangement

lol, mp3s...

"electronic music sounds the same"


BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:22 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:13 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:11 AM, captainlolz wrote: considering how i have studied music theory for 3 years,and can read music i do believe i know what i'm talking about
Then either you learned it wrong, or you've never heard a single electronic song in your entire existence on earth.

i have never a electronic "music" "producer" use notation

this is not notation

"electronic music sounds the same"


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:24 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:22 AM, captainlolz wrote: i have never a electronic "music" "producer" use notation

this is not notation

I will never for the life of me understand how you completely overlooked the fact that he's using a keyboard to notate his music.

I mean, dude, it's in the very center.......


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:27 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:24 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:22 AM, captainlolz wrote:
I will never for the life of me understand how you completely overlooked the fact that he's using a keyboard to notate his music.

I mean, dude, it's in the very center.......

a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about

"electronic music sounds the same"


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

NothingStudios
NothingStudios
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:29 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:27 AM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:24 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:22 AM, captainlolz wrote:
I will never for the life of me understand how you completely overlooked the fact that he's using a keyboard to notate his music.

I mean, dude, it's in the very center.......
a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about

What about electronic musicians who use keyboards and synthesizers?


;333333333

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:32 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:27 AM, captainlolz wrote: a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about

Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat, no matter what. If you play them on different instruments, you get vastly, vastly different sounds. A computer, when equipped with the right gear, is just a unique instrument. This guy is using a keyboard to notarize the sounds.

I mean, I just don't even understand how you fail to realize that it's not just a bunch of random sounds, it's actual musical notes played by electronic components. It befuddles me how ignorant you are about this, and how you still try to convince people that they're wrong, when you're very, very clearly wrong.

It almost makes me mad how you're so persistent about proving your point, when you actually have zero knowledge on the subject at hand.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:46 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:32 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:27 AM, captainlolz wrote: a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,

you moron there are are multiple Abs aka A#s you have no idea what your talking about


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:46 AM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:32 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:27 AM, captainlolz wrote: a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,

meant B#s


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Member since: Dec. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:47 AM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:46 AM, captainlolz wrote:
a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,
meant B#s

So what exactly is the problem here? You can't enjoy electronic music?


BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:53 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:46 AM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:32 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:27 AM, captainlolz wrote: a example of notation,you have no idea what your talking about
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,
you moron there are are multiple Abs aka A#s you have no idea what your talking about

Are you really so fucking stupid that you have to take something that anyone who knows anything about music and try to make it look bad against me?

No fucking duh there are multiple A#'s, but there's only one in any given chronological scale of notes.

I've been playing a trumpet since the 6th grade. I know what the hell I'm talking about.


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:54 AM Reply

So, it's not music because they don't write it down on sheets.

brilliant.

"electronic music sounds the same"


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 12:56 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:54 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: So, it's not music because they don't write it down on sheets.

brilliant.

That's his logic as of right now


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:53 AM, Xenomit wrote:
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,

those are your words not mine i was simpily refuting that moron


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:00 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 01:00 AM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:53 AM, Xenomit wrote:
Yes, those are all notes. Each note sounds unique. A C sounds like a C, no matter what, and an A flat sounds like an A flat,
those are your words not mine i was simpily refuting that moron

I never said they weren't my words


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:04 AM Reply

At 1/17/13 02:26 PM, ZyklonB wrote: If you even knew a small amount about music or bothered to pick up an instrument you would realize that electronic music is only similar in the way that its a frequency...I listen to everything and literally every fucking type of music that stimulates my brain which music is supposed to do BUT electronic music is heavily borrowed from everything and it doesn't have much creativity or "soul" in it. For someone that claims to stand for your music, I'm surprised you haven't found or realized that electronic music does follow a strict set of frequencies and beats.

Shame the fuck on you mod, do your research, and not ones that support your illogical opinion, which is what this is...opinion

I see what you are saying...but

>2013
>implying all music isn't/wasn't heavily borrowed.
>what you define/interpret as "soul" is subjective
>implying electronic musicians never use MIDI instruments
>not realizing electronic music and acoustic music "borrows" in different ways

If an artist creates the exact same painting twice, first using a paintbrush and watercolors, then second time using mouse clicks and photoshop, does one painting have more soul than the other?

At 1/17/13 11:52 PM, captainlolz wrote:
At 1/17/13 11:47 PM, hiddeninthecrowd wrote:
At 1/17/13 11:41 PM, captainlolz wrote: butthurt electronic "music" "producer"
teach me to be good at debating like you!! is it the scare quotes or the ad hominem that'll make me the best?
this isn't a debate,this thread topic is opinion based "electronic music sounds the same". but electronics music really doesn't use notation ergo music theory

I'm 99% chance you are trolling, but in the %1 chance you really are that ignorant, and just for the sake of taking the bait, what you say is wrong on several levels.

Notation =/= music, sound is music. Notation is not sound, it is a way of visually dictating sound.

saying you need to use traditional sheet music to explain/communicate music theory is about as intelligent as saying you need to know japanese to explain/communicate mathematics. Two different languages that are equally capable of communicating the same ideas. Piano rolls have been in use since the late 19th century, they can communicate anything sheet music can do, I dare you to prove me wrong.

"bleeps and bloops" have frequency, volume, and occur in a certain time and therefore they can be successfully dictated through both sheet music and piano roll/midi notation. Please, feel free to state otherwise though.


If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

captainlolz
captainlolz
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:05 AM Reply

Confirmation bias is the tendency for people to only seek out information that conforms to their pre-existing view points, and subsequently ignore information that goes against them.

i am done with this crappy little thread


if it is a gigantic horrible typo mah bad

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Member since: May. 16, 2005
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 12:56 AM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/18/13 12:54 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: So, it's not music because they don't write it down on sheets.

brilliant.
That's his logic as of right now

seriously. Following that logic, lots of great music doesn't qualify as real music.


one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 01:09 AM Reply

At 1/18/13 01:05 AM, captainlolz wrote: Confirmation bias is the tendency for people to only seek out information that conforms to their pre-existing view points, and subsequently ignore information that goes against them.

i am done with this crappy little thread

Dude, you were dead wrong about something, just admit it for Christ's sake and stop being a 9 year old


TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
Tomatoes aren't roof tiles

BBS Signature
benjadaninja
benjadaninja
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Game Developer
Response to "electronic music sounds the same" Jan. 18th, 2013 @ 02:17 AM Reply

My favorite is when people say "any one can make a beat like Skrillex" (or any big electronic producer for that matter.) "It's just a bunch of robot noises." The have no fucking idea how complex the production is on his song and how hard it is to get those "robot" sounds just perfect and hyphy.

in no way do I like Skrillex or dubstep, but the amount of work that goes into producing it is waaaay overlooked.