New Topic Respond to this Topic
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 17:04:53 Reply

At 1/15/13 02:08 PM, FattyWhale wrote: In public schools, teachers do not have the right to preach their religious bullshit.

That's nice and all, but I was talking about private schools, see:

At 1/14/13 11:51 PM, dragoswrath wrote: in many prestigious religious schools

BBS Signature
Major-n0ob
Major-n0ob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 20:35:12 Reply

At 1/14/13 04:28 PM, naronic wrote: Also there's no way your teacher could've gotten that through the entire administration, that whole school would have it's feet in the fire by law.

I call bullshEIST on you sir

I honestly think the OP was mistaken about going to a public school, it must have been a private school because public schools receive government funding and must therefore meet certain standards right? The other reason I suspect it had to be a private school is because I had gone to private schools throughout grade school and a private school does not receive government funds, it is private, and they can thus teach whatever the fahk they want.

Up until 8th grade I went to "Danville Lutheran School", which as the name implies... is a Lutheran school. The school was attached to a church and we would spend school time on Wednesdays sitting through a church service. We also had "religion" as one of our core subjects there and spent time in science class talking about how "transcendentalism" is a Catholic invented concept and proof that Catholics are retarded etc... We were graded on that shit too.

Naturally, I wanted to go to another school as my father is a doctor and I seem to have picked up his genes for an inquisitive mind and such. Sadly, my mother is too much of a blatant racist and was afraid that the other schools in our area had too many "racial problems" and shit. Even today she will say things like "The Mexicans really do have a strong sense of family, I'll give them that... not like the blacks". Sadly, I've grown up hearing her say this shit so much it doesn't even shock me anymore to hear that.

Still, I take pride in the fact that I DID become a scientist (radiochemist specifically) for a fortune 500 company so despite all the ignorance I was surrounded by, I succeeded!!!

But getting back to the topic at hand... that shit really DOES happen. I grew up in Illinois too so it isn't just the south that is like that either. However, I think it is usually private schools that do that as you can't even pray in public schools without getting in trouble while private schools can grade you on it.

Major-n0ob
Major-n0ob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 21:45:48 Reply

At 1/15/13 12:32 AM, Piemix wrote: god isn't real

Meh, whether He is or is not is neither here nor there. The issue is whether or not it can be discussed as "fact" in schools.

F-Stop
F-Stop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 21:47:43 Reply

I can't believe how people are still so backwards in a world that is changing every day.

Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 21:48:48 Reply

Oh the horror!!

I am sooooo sorry you had to go through that. You better tell your parents so they can also overreact and complain about it to strangers.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 22:03:40 Reply

Teachers should be legally prohibited from teaching creationism and involving any religion in classes. All it does is promote misinformation and ignorance.

At 1/14/13 04:06 PM, MonthlyVolatile wrote: Do you live in the South?

Something needs to be done about the Texas school board. They have a big influence on the rest of the country.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
F-Stop
F-Stop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 22:05:43 Reply

At 1/15/13 10:03 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

Something needs to be done about the Texas school board. They have a big influence on the rest of the country.

I remember when they tried to re-write their history text books.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to not another teen on religion topic 2013-01-15 22:11:25 Reply

At 1/15/13 10:05 PM, F-Stop wrote: I remember when they tried to re-write their history text books.

Their decision on what text books will be used has a big impact on what many schools throughout the country end up using, and politics affects their choices.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature