New Topic Respond to this Topic
ArthurGhostly
ArthurGhostly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:25 AM Reply

Newgrounds made its name from the media attention it got with edgy and dark material. Back when the internet was relatively obscure, this was fine. But now, with worse content more easily available the shock value is gone and its now juvenile at worst and bland at best.

Newgrounds should stop clinging on to this dark persona it seems to love and become a more respectable animation community. When I was into animation, it was newgrounds that helped me develop and I'd love to share that with more people but when they're greated by poor videogame parodies and poop jokes it doesn't make for the most compelling argument.

I hate that this place feels less relevant the more time goes on.

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:31 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:25 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: Newgrounds should stop clinging on to this dark persona it seems to love and become a more respectable animation community.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this?

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:33 AM Reply

Haven't heard this before. I don't care about your childhood.

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:33 AM Reply

Another Super Columbine RPG is what this place needs.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:25 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: [...]

I think the thing holding back change is the community itself, as a whole. Since the site is largely depending on the community to provide content, the community in turn decides what defines the site.
Really, all there is to do is trying to be the change one wants to see.

BBS Signature
Dry-Ice
Dry-Ice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:37 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:25 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: Newgrounds should stop clinging on to this dark persona it seems to love and become a more respectable animation community.

I don't think Newgrounds is clinging on to a dark persona at all. I know what you mean, how Newgrounds was in the past, but I don't think you can still apply the same critique to the site as it is now. What makes you think the site is clinging onto a dark persona? Do you have any links to show what you mean?

BBS Mod, PM me if you have something to report.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:39 AM Reply

This site is more colorful than an Italian parade nowadays.

But I do understand what you're saying. Actually Newground's dark type of reputation is what kept me from signing up until 2010. I just decided I might as well at that point. But I can see how others would be driven away by it's past reputation.

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:40 AM Reply

Newgrounds has literally 0 niche now

ArthurGhostly
ArthurGhostly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:37 AM, Dry-Ice wrote: What makes you think the site is clinging onto a dark persona? Do you have any links to show what you mean?

It's not so much the content being created but rather the design of the website as a whole.

There are contests and giveaways and so forth that encourage the community to participate in the site and further their abilities but at the same time the site has this dark formatting with light text. I can't name a single other website that has done opted for this design in the past... forever.

I think the problem is with the way the portal works. The higher voted stuff gets published on the front page and rightfully so, but it leads to a similar result you see on youtube and TGWTG where content creators are encouraged to push out easily consumable material rather than striving for artistic quality. As pretentious as sites like VIMEO appear, you can't argue that their content isn't of a higher quality than their direct rival, youtube.

I think that the forums and the portal should be intergrated more closely, to encourage more in depth discussions of submissions and content, with a sort of subcategory for conversation that doesn't directly link to a submission working like the 'self' posts of reddit. This will discourage the shorter more asinine comments the reviews seem to be currently.

BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:56 AM Reply

I remember the Powerpuff Girls and Pokemon collections. They were all about violence and shooting. Man, I wish it was like that in the MLP collection so that I could kill ponies.

BBS Signature
HeadbangingLegend
HeadbangingLegend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:58 AM Reply

I honestly think Newgrounds quality has gone way down since I started coming here 6 years ago. I haven't seen a truly amazing movie on the front page in about a year now.

The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug.

BBS Signature
ExtraLife
ExtraLife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Audiophile
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 10:08 AM Reply

I remember asking my friends, "What's the first thing you think of when you hear Newgrounds"more than half the time they respond with some kind of hentai flash. IDK if that's NG's fault or my friends fault for not exploring the site more.

===

Also, on occasion when I wear my NG shirt outside i'll get comment. The last two comments I received was, "OH NG? That place still exists?"

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:00 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:51 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: [...] but at the same time the site has this dark formatting with light text. I can't name a single other website that has done opted for this design in the past... forever.

Could you expand upon this? Or do you mean in the literal sense where the text is light-on-dark, rather than dark-on-light?

I think that the forums and the portal should be intergrated more closely, to encourage more in depth discussions of submissions and content, with a sort of subcategory for conversation that doesn't directly link to a submission working like the 'self' posts of reddit.

I think if this specific idea was implemented, the forums would turn into sort of a circlejerk more than it is now. There are very few subreddits that has successfully avoided this, and those are usually heavily moderated.

This will discourage the shorter more asinine comments the reviews seem to be currently.

I wish this would be the case, but I can't really say I believe it.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:40 AM, BumFodder wrote: Newgrounds has literally 0 niche now

What about the Newgrounds specific holidays? Other sites don't celebrate Pico Day, Madness Day, or Clock Day.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:43 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:25 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote: When I was into animation, it was newgrounds that helped me develop and I'd love to share that with more people but when they're greated by poor videogame parodies and poop jokes it doesn't make for the most compelling argument.

I'm pretty much going to say what HaveGum said, but the submissions and the popularity of the content on this site is hugely dependent on the users. While the creator in us wants to see that content which makes you say, "Hey that's new", people will always lap up the stuff they're familiar with.

That tends to be why game parodies get produced so much, since it's something the author is familiar with, and the audience may be able to get the joke. The same applies to the rest of the internet, such as YouTube and DevArt.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 09:51 AM, ArthurGhostly wrote:
At 1/14/13 09:37 AM, Dry-Ice wrote: What makes you think the site is clinging onto a dark persona? Do you have any links to show what you mean?
It's not so much the content being created but rather the design of the website as a whole.

There are contests and giveaways and so forth that encourage the community to participate in the site and further their abilities but at the same time the site has this dark formatting with light text. I can't name a single other website that has done opted for this design in the past... forever.

I think the problem is with the way the portal works. The higher voted stuff gets published on the front page and rightfully so, but it leads to a similar result you see on youtube and TGWTG where content creators are encouraged to push out easily consumable material rather than striving for artistic quality. As pretentious as sites like VIMEO appear, you can't argue that their content isn't of a higher quality than their direct rival, youtube.

I think that the forums and the portal should be intergrated more closely, to encourage more in depth discussions of submissions and content, with a sort of subcategory for conversation that doesn't directly link to a submission working like the 'self' posts of reddit. This will discourage the shorter more asinine comments the reviews seem to be currently.

I think thats a reasonable observation. I do think that the portal needs to be tweaked, im not sure exactly how though. Maybe have it more like the classic portal but being able to see the portal actively updating? Kind of like a twitter feed of sorts, where you can literally see a new entry come in, or see an entry be blammed out etc. I dunno maybe its not technically possible.

The internet has changed alot over the years, and how people consume content has changed. I think people like expect information at a much higher speed than before. I think the friend system is a step in the right direction. I think the bread and butter of newgrounds is in its community and like you said in the feedback you get from it. So I think strengthening that, in whatever means possible should be its focus. I think its accepted that we'll never be able to compete with YouTube or whatever, and that's fine. Let youtube have their fluff, their Psy, backflipping ninja, cat pooping in a toilet stuff, have newgrounds focus on nurturing and discovering new talent.

gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum gum

ZeroAsALimit
ZeroAsALimit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Jumbe
Jumbe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Reader
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:17 PM Reply

Don't sound like a huge pussy, brah. Have you seen the other parts of the internet? It's all memes and pop culture references. For what I've seen here, this place beats the shit out of all the other shitholes.

Everything in this post is wrong.
I'm sorry, Jumbe, but you're fucking ugly -Amaranthus

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:15 PM Reply

I agree, and what needs to happen is "Making Original Cool."

No one is short on ideas...and yet, I'm disgusted at how many fucking pokemon parodies are STILL on the front page.

We need inspiration to grow the balls back on the community...when we all start kickin' ass, it'll bring in more heads to watch what kicked ass. They'll get inspired, they'll start kicking ass...the reviews might even grow into things that are greater than just one or two words.

It starts and ends with us.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:19 PM Reply

Bronisim was the final nail in the coffin for Newgrounds.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Reader
Response to Newground's Public Image Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:19 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Bronisim was the final nail in the coffin for Newgrounds.

If that was all it took the internet itself would be dead.

BBS Signature