Be a Supporter!
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:41 AM Reply

Okay, so for 12 years, I have been a steady on and off smoker. Eventually in those later years I became a pack a day smoker. Plus I smoked weed and occasionally cigars.

If you don't smoke, I'm happy for you, and you should be proud. Never do it.

Anyway, I was starting to feel like shit. I couldn't go a day without having my daily pack of smokes. I would sit in my bathroom and just chain smoke. I would go outside and light up a cigarette.

When you're a smoker, plus you smoke weed, you have dumb little tricks that don't even work. After you smoke a blunt, joint, bowl, or whatever, you light up a cigarette. It was bad. I couldn't NOT smoke. This has bothered me most of my life. It's probably the biggest thing I have ever overcome.

I'm proud to say that I vowed to quit and with using the patch, and eating beef jerky, I was able to make a pack of cigarettes last 13 days. Plus I gave a couple away to friends. It is successfully my last time smoking. Ever.

My self-esteem is up. My health is returning, along with my sense of taste and smell. I don't stink like an ashtray.

If anyone could not stop, it was me. That's the way the addiction makes you feel.

I am so much happier now. I don't feel like I'm just killing myself everyday anymore. You see, it wasn't about the cigarettes. It was about my self-esteem. I felt like such a depressed piece of crap for so long, I would just keep smoking, not caring the damage it was doing to my body.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. Something positive. I never thought I would be telling this story. I just figured cancer was my future, and that was that. Could be it still is. I did lots of years worth of damage. But I'm not sick now. The best thing I ever did was just stop.

I'm trying to get in shape now. I exercise everyday and I have breath in my lungs. I feel energized. It's like waking up from a long, long nightmare.

Thanks for reading. I just want to give others hope. It is not impossible. I really did think it was. It's all about state of mind, and really not wanting to feel like crap everyday.

InDuStRiEl
InDuStRiEl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:12 AM Reply

Congrats! My older brother is an on and off smoker, so I have the experience of watching someone flush their health down the toilet. Hopefully you'll stay off for good. We're all rooting for you!

And stock up on more beef jerky! You can never have enough!

Bounce Bounce Jiggle Bounce :3

BBS Signature
selena
selena
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:14 AM Reply

I'm smoking atm

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:17 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:14 AM, selena wrote: I'm smoking atm

Bad Girl!
I have never smoked. Thats good OP, I am happy for you.

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature
Head-Full-Of-Acid
Head-Full-Of-Acid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Musician
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:45 AM Reply

good stuff man

keep at it

Request a review ]                                                                            sea otters hold hands in their sleep so they don't drift away from each other

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:48 AM Reply

Too bad the damage is already done. Shame it's not reversible.

BBS Signature
Stereocrisis
Stereocrisis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 02:16 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:48 AM, Chdonga wrote: Too bad the damage is already done. Shame it's not reversible.

I'm not ashamed. I'm proud that I kicked the habit.

GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 03:07 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:48 AM, Chdonga wrote: Too bad the damage is already done. Shame it's not reversible.

False

Good for you, man. I've been free of cigarettes for 2 weeks today and it's starting to feel almost easy. I smoked everyday for 7 years. I never enjoyed having a cig more than right after blazing. That's why I haven't been blazing, the temptation to smoke is enough as it is. Keep it going.

Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 03:17 AM Reply

Good for you man. Although never having to experience quitting smoking, I have friends and family that have and you know that it is not an easy thing to do. So congrats man.

"Even death can be overcome"

BBS Signature
notYert
notYert
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Melancholy
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 07:34 AM Reply

except it is

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:00 AM Reply

I read somewhere that cancer is actually pre-determined, like before you were born.

some people smoke and drink till they die in their 80s just fine.

but congrats on overcoming your addiction.

everything in moderation is key. That's why I only smoke on the weekends.

lel

Ghombeat
Ghombeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:50 AM Reply

Congratulations, take this imaginary cake as a trophy.

A wild lurker appeared!

TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:51 AM Reply

So you're saying he should keep smoking? What is the alternative here?

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:52 AM Reply

Congrats, now do drinking.

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:53 AM Reply

It is reversible, just takes a year or two.

skater007
skater007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Artist
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Just quit drinking and keep smoking

Boomstick
Boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:15 PM Reply

and your proof is where?

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
Drony
Drony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:18 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 12:41 AM, Stereocrisis wrote: Anyway, I was starting to feel like shit. I couldn't go a day without having my daily pack of smokes. I would sit in my bathroom and just chain smoke. I would go outside and light up a cigarette.

I did this all the time too. Smoking and taking a dump just fits with the nicotine loosening up your bowels and all.

When you're a smoker, plus you smoke weed, you have dumb little tricks that don't even work. After you smoke a blunt, joint, bowl, or whatever, you light up a cigarette. It was bad. I couldn't NOT smoke. This has bothered me most of my life. It's probably the biggest thing I have ever overcome.

"Just finished eating..better have a smoke", "ate a twinkie...better top it off with a cigarette", "Just had a smoke...time to have a smoke"

Anyway, I just wanted to share this. Something positive. I never thought I would be telling this story. I just figured cancer was my future, and that was that. Could be it still is. I did lots of years worth of damage. But I'm not sick now. The best thing I ever did was just stop.

And that's basically how simple it is, just don't do it.

I'm trying to get in shape now. I exercise everyday and I have breath in my lungs. I feel energized. It's like waking up from a long, long nightmare.

Definitely a must for other quitters. Smoking will of course make your breathing hard, and the relief you get when your done running does not compare to a couple puffs at all.

Thanks for reading. I just want to give others hope. It is not impossible. I really did think it was. It's all about state of mind, and really not wanting to feel like crap everyday.

Just remember though, an addiction never truly goes away I think. You're bound to hop back on the wagon at any time. But it's good to have that wolf on your doorstep everyday, it'll keep you on your toes and give you that edge in life. More reason to keep exercising, learning, hobbies, whatever keeps you from smoking.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:25 PM Reply

That's great news. What do you plan to with all the money you won't be wasting on cigarretes?

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Jeffyx
Jeffyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 02:15 PM Reply

Congratulations man! Quitting is extremely hard, you're awesome for it. Quitting was one of my new years resolutions, and I failed. I have eased up on it by alot though. One of my tricks is to clip it half way through, and have the rest later. Hopefully soon I will completely drop the nasty habit.

"Life is a bitch, so learn how to fuck it" | Become my NG fan! | #teamsuckdick

BBS Signature
the-goatman
the-goatman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to I quit smoking! Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 03:52 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 08:00 AM, Sequenced wrote: I read somewhere that cancer is actually pre-determined, like before you were born.

some people smoke and drink till they die in their 80s just fine.

but congrats on overcoming your addiction.

everything in moderation is key. That's why I only smoke on the weekends.

My Grandma smoking cigarettes until the day she died from terminal lung cancer makes me think otherwise but HEY if you read an article on the interwebz somewhere you must be right! Cigarettes and heroine for everyone!

Sarcasm aside, you are right that some people are more predisposed to cancer in general or specific types for genetic reasons, but that absolutely doesn't negate the effects of environmental factors. Inhaling smoke into your lungs is not good for them. Some people may hit the genetic lottery and won't get cancer from it even if they smoke two packs a day for 80 years, I guess it's up to the you if you want to play the odds.