key-bal
key-bal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 11:48 AM Reply

sweet this is going to be awesome,

quick question though, do choirs count as orchestral (specifically ones low male shouts similar to the ones used in the skyrim theme). im pretty sure they do, but want to be sure

cheers guys

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Jan. 31st, 2013 @ 12:01 PM Reply

Choirs are useable yes. Just don't use the Skyrim vocals lol ;)

They're copyrighted
key-bal
key-bal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 1/31/13 12:01 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Choirs are useable yes. Just don't use the Skyrim vocals lol ;)

They're copyrighted

I promise NOTHING!! ha, but yeah cool man

Cheers

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 03:02 AM Reply

Holy shit....guess I was out of the loop on this one. I definitely remember planning to judge this like half a year back. Oh well, I can compete instead and maybe scrap a top three and buy a t-shirt that fits over my fat ass stomach.

Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 5th, 2013 @ 04:42 PM Reply

At 2/5/13 03:02 AM, Breed wrote: Holy shit....guess I was out of the loop on this one. I definitely remember planning to judge this like half a year back. Oh well, I can compete instead and maybe scrap a top three and buy a t-shirt that fits over my fat ass stomach.

A challenger appears.

Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 12:34 AM Reply

Since I've recovered from Bosa's contest, I'm working on some sick jams for this one!

By sick, I mean classical. Classical jams.

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

Is it OK if I recycle my project from Bosa's contest? I feel I didn't give justice to the idea given the time restraints, and since the two competitions happened simultaneously, I'm technically in the correct time frame to be eligible.

Also, in the advent that I am allowed to use it, I'd like to mention the song is from a genre called Mainstream/Third-Stream, which is the middle-ground between Jazz and Classical music. It will contain multiple orchestral elements, but will also contain things like a drum set, an upright bass, and most likely some jazz improv. I'd just like to get y'all's approval before I go any further.

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 03:40 AM Reply

WOO. Studio time booked. Players picked out, some local and some remotely! Going for 95% real instruments let's do this! :3

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 09:21 AM Reply

At 2/6/13 07:58 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: wtf?

Welcome to why I changed my username from LogicalDefiance to Breed. The name LD expanded from my personal artist name to the name of our audio house. Echo and Camoshark are both part of said organization.

Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 6th, 2013 @ 01:03 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 09:21 AM, Breed wrote:
At 2/6/13 07:58 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: wtf?
Welcome to why I changed my username from LogicalDefiance to Breed. The name LD expanded from my personal artist name to the name of our audio house. Echo and Camoshark are both part of said organization.

Speaking of which, I should probably do so soon! ^^'

Innovative works come from lateral thinking. NGADM Paring List 2013!
SoundCloud | Logical-Defiance | Facebook

BBS Signature
stunkel
stunkel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 05:53 PM Reply

So... my song would sound epic with an electric guitar riff just at this one part... I'm guessing that's a no no?

Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 2/10/13 05:53 PM, stunkel wrote: So... my song would sound epic with an electric guitar riff just at this one part... I'm guessing that's a no no?

As long as it's not used as a primary focus of the piece, it's just fine ;)

CzeryWassierSwizier
CzeryWassierSwizier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 11th, 2013 @ 08:27 PM Reply

Wrote a piece. Scratched it. Wrote another. Scratched it agagin.

Maybe this one will turn for the better.

I'm a nub.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 13th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 2/6/13 09:21 AM, Breed wrote:
At 2/6/13 07:58 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:

The name LD expanded from my personal artist name to the name of our audio house.

You forgot the S.

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:00 AM Reply

Questions for this MAC:

1. What is meant by the term "synthetic". Are we talking about "synthesizer" synths of a digital or analog nature?

2. What are these "plugins" which are spoken of? Do they refer to VSTs, soundfonts, or something completely different?

3. Can a live orchestra be used? If yes, can it be seen as a mere collaboration between author and performer (single-entity); they'll still be credited, of course.

4. Also on the account of live orchestra, is it okay to have a blend of mainly live orchestra, with less realistic sounding VST/VSTi's or otherwise?

5. If no one else, but myself, in a collaboration have an interest in earning a prize, is it okay to be understood that I'll be the only one in the project reaping the rewards?

hostileburritos
hostileburritos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Movie Buff
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:00 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: Questions for this MAC:

1. What is meant by the term "synthetic". Are we talking about "synthesizer" synths of a digital or analog nature?

2. What are these "plugins" which are spoken of? Do they refer to VSTs, soundfonts, or something completely different?

3. Can a live orchestra be used? If yes, can it be seen as a mere collaboration between author and performer (single-entity); they'll still be credited, of course.

4. Also on the account of live orchestra, is it okay to have a blend of mainly live orchestra, with less realistic sounding VST/VSTi's or otherwise?

5. If no one else, but myself, in a collaboration have an interest in earning a prize, is it okay to be understood that I'll be the only one in the project reaping the rewards?

Here is my thoughts on this:

Musicians and engineers in your recording are 'work for hire' which means they showed up, you gave them some music, they played some music, they got their paycheck, they left. At no point did they aid in the creative process. They just used their practiced skills to alleviate a shortcoming you have; being able to play every instruments in the orchestra at once at a semi-professional/professional level. I don't see why using real orchestra instruments in an orchestra contest would even be an issue in the first place that would be absurd. I say go for it man!

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 12:54 PM Reply

At 2/14/13 01:00 AM, FaeryTaleAdventurer wrote: Questions for this MAC:

Is the instrument itself synthetic in nature. Whereas the difference between a theremin .vst (not an orchestral instrument), and a french horn .vst (definately an orchestral instrument) for example.

.vst, .sf2, or what ever file format your instruments come packaged in.

Yes, a live orchestra can be used, as long as they are aware how the attribution is going to be distrubuted, and are fine with that.

Why not? :P

As stated above, as long as all your performers are fine with it. You need to sort that out amongst yourselves. Are any of them also Newgrounds users?

FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 01:35 PM Reply

As stated above, as long as all your performers are fine with it. You need to sort that out amongst yourselves. Are any of them also Newgrounds users?

They may be, and thank you for answering my questions.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 06:49 AM Reply

Did we have a clean up in the Mac? BrokenDeck :)

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 11:04 AM Reply

At 2/15/13 06:49 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Did we have a clean up in the Mac? BrokenDeck :)

Yep. Repeats and posting errors were diligently fixed by our resident audio forum mods.

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 11:14 AM Reply

At 2/15/13 11:04 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/15/13 06:49 AM, PeterSatera wrote: Did we have a clean up in the Mac? BrokenDeck :)
Yep. Repeats and posting errors were diligently fixed by our resident audio forum mods.

Phew! Thought I was going nuts.
What happened to that track that guy produced with multiple live players?

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 11:15 AM Reply

At 2/15/13 11:14 AM, PeterSatera wrote: What happened to that track that guy produced with multiple live players?

It was made back in December 2012.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 11:15 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/15/13 11:14 AM, PeterSatera wrote: What happened to that track that guy produced with multiple live players?

Initially, the composition and the mock-up was roughly sketched late December.

Live players were not hired, recorded until announcement of MAC 13. A lot of new additions, re-orchestrations, re-harmonizations were made. I'd argue that the majority of the actual composition (and all of the recording of live players) was done during the timeframe of the MAC contest but technically the first sketch was done before then.

The audio track is still on my profile if you want to give it a listen. Hope the work and effort of the recording sessions and the player's talents didn't go to waste, so I'd say it's worth checking out.

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

I've just started working on my entry. Hopefully I'll get it done before 11:59pm Sunday.

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 07:41 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 11:15 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:

Actually, I recorded my trumpet on it just last week. Last week, to my knowledge, wasn't back in December 2012, but I agree that time is relative...

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 07:41 PM, sorohanro wrote:
Actually, I recorded my trumpet on it just last week. Last week, to my knowledge, wasn't back in December 2012, but I agree that time is relative...

He had most of the piece and some other performers recorded back in Dec 2012. There was an old version of his song submitted back then that was virtually identical. Some parts, including yours, weren't recorded yet, but it was definitely the same song (even the title was the same). There was even a link on his website about it back in Dec 2012 (which he has since taken down).

I hope this clears things up.

deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 11:04 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 07:56 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 2/15/13 07:41 PM, sorohanro wrote:
He had most of the piece and some other performers recorded back in Dec 2012. There was an old version of his song

During the MAC 13 timeframe, I did book new studio time and re-dubbed, and replaced everything for a brand new recording. But yeah, I did agree with BD that I sketched it in December 2012 and recorded a rough session. Though it was sketched out earlier than January, I'd say I spent the majority of the work on this during the allotted time of the contest. With that all behind us now, I am working on something new which will most likely be a mock-up.

Not trying to defend myself to get it back on the contest. Serious recording sessions were done during the timeframe. A lot of great talent the second time around though.

But, I do have a relevant question; I'm extremely tempted to add some symphonic metal elements but I am sure that might not be appropriate or kind of draw attention away from the orchestral aspect of the contest. I do feel that some symphonic metal/rock songs, piece and arrangements can be more orchestral than rock, if done with much care and attention to orchestration techniques O__O

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 15th, 2013 @ 11:17 PM Reply

At 2/15/13 11:04 PM, deadlyfishes wrote:
I do feel that some symphonic metal/rock songs, piece and arrangements can be more orchestral than rock...

As long as it's not the main focus of the song it's acceptable. Just use your own judgement. ;)

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mac13 - Jan/Feb Discussion Feb. 16th, 2013 @ 12:48 AM Reply

From my prospective, I only find Matt's situation fishy (no pun intended) because the point of the contest, as far as I have read and seen in the past year's contest, is to create an original, unique work precisely for this contest, not remix, arrange, or work from previously existing, especially published, works of your own. This is seen in the main thread, bolded, "Songs must be NEWLY COMPOSED and created for this competition."

I really hope you'll re-enter, Matt, you certainly have a very good chance of winning with your epic skills! Just don't go too heavy on that symph. metal it sounds like you are working up in your mind's ear. ;P

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature