New Topic Respond to this Topic
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:11 AM Reply

Every fan of team fortress, portal, half life and left 4 dead have thought about this. Will they ever make a 3rd in any of their series? Do you think they should, or just leave them behind and work on different project which only go up to two?

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Reader
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:15 AM Reply

If they ever release a third in a series, they'll just end up calling it number 4.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Reader
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:43 AM Reply

Valve can't count to three.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

dark-crow07
dark-crow07
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 12:49 PM Reply

I'd love to see a Half Life 3, I'm sure we all would. I mean if they were able to put it on the original xbox, they have so much potential to mess around with now

All We Are, Is Bullets, I Mean It

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:16 PM Reply

Weren't Half-Life 2 Episode 1 & 2 basically sequels to Half-Life 2? I haven't had the time to play them yet so I don't know, but from the description they seemed like direct sequels to me.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:18 PM Reply

This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Valve, they only believe in 1 sequel per franchise, and they try to get around it by puttling useless mods and pointless episodes in their games as an attempt to make their games fresh. If they ever do get around to making Half-Life 3 or whatever, then that's a step in the right direction for them, but until I see concrete evidence, then I don't believe they will.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 01:18 PM, orangebomb wrote: This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Valve, they only believe in 1 sequel per franchise

Yes because it is a terrible thing for game companies not to milk every little bit of story from their games!

It is good that Valve still remains to show that you don't need to make 10 Halo or Call of Duty games which haven't changed since day 1 to make money. More companies need to stop making useless sequels.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

I dunno, there's speculation they are working on hl3. They have to finish off the series, there is so much that can be done for Half-Life 3.

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 03:42 PM Reply

Uh, yes, they already have with Counter Strike and Half Life

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 01:16 PM, Auz wrote: Weren't Half-Life 2 Episode 1 & 2 basically sequels to Half-Life 2?

Yes.

Episode 1 continues right where HL2 left off, and Episode 2 continues where Episode 1 left off.

Though I originally thought that Episode 1 would be a prequel that takes place between the original and HL2 and would show the rise of the Wallace Breen, the Combine and the resistance.

dogpup4
dogpup4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 02:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Yes because it is a terrible thing for game companies not to milk every little bit of story from their games!

Valve left episode two on a cliffhanger, so they obviously intended to make a third Half-Life. I can wait though, I'm not a die hard Half-Life fan though I do enjoy the games.

DVD Collection and Game Collection
Steam: GallifreyanTimeDog
Really need to change this rubbish username.

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 04:23 PM, dogpup4 wrote: I'm not a die hard Half-Life fan though I do enjoy the games.

It makes me wonder how many hardcore Half-Life fans have and will die before number 3 is released.

Will they have died in vain? Or will it be such a huge disappointment that they'd be better off knowing that it never existed?

naronic
naronic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

Nowadays I find myself trying to care about half life 3 but I'm loosing interest,

2013 valve, it ends in 3,
that has to mean something

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

It is good that Valve still remains to show that you don't need to make 10 Halo or Call of Duty games which haven't changed since day 1 to make money. More companies need to stop making useless sequels.

Why are you acting as of Valve is better than Activision/Infinity Ward?

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Hopefully if they do, it will have "Half-Life 2: Episode" before it.

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Reader
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 07:30 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 03:35 PM, RightWingGamer wrote: Half-life 1 got two expansion packs (but not a third); Half-life 2 got two "episodes" (but, again, not a third); and Portal, Team Fortress, and L4D are all still on game #2.

GabeN can't count to 3. He must have missed that day in school.

He was there to learn about the number 4 though. Left 4 Dead

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 02:21 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 1/13/13 01:18 PM, orangebomb wrote: This has been one of my biggest pet peeves about Valve, they only believe in 1 sequel per franchise
Yes because it is a terrible thing for game companies not to milk every little bit of story from their games!

So in other words, you're okay with leaving fans hanging for more and not delivering? You can tell me that the episodes were supposed to be a sequel or whatever, but I'm not buying that. They left episode 2 on a cliffhanger, naturally I would think that they would finish it, but this is Valve we're talking about.

It is good that Valve still remains to show that you don't need to make 10 Halo or Call of Duty games which haven't changed since day 1 to make money.

You think so, but no. Halo and COD sell a whole hell of a lot more than Half-Life did, not to say that sales=excellence, but to say that Halo and COD haven't changed is virtually disingenuous. Plus, it's called finishing what they started, a concept that Valve can't seem to understand because they can't count to 3 in their games.

More companies need to stop making useless sequels.

That's subjective. Most sequels usually end up on par, if not better than the original game for a multitude of reasons, also if a lot of fans like a game, then most likely, a sequel will be made, and so on. That's marketing 101.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

Oh my fucking God, you're actually serious when you say Valve can't count to three?

OT: Half-Life 3 is going to get released at some point. Games take a lot of time to make, and the amount of projects Valve has been working on for the last couple of years must be slowing development time by a lot. But now that most of those projects are finished, it's entirely possible that we might see HL3 sooner than we think.

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

HL3 is in development from what I've heard. You won't see L4D 3 or TF3 until after that is released since it will run on a completely new engine, and they wouldn't bother released another game on the HL2 engine when HL3 is in development.

You won't see another TF game for many years though, as it's still a very strong game with lots of players and plenty of revenue, and will stay that way long after the HL3 engine is released. As far as L4D goes, there is plenty of homebrew material being made for that game to make it a viable and fulfilling purchase for years to come as well.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Orochi
Orochi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:20 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 11:13 PM, FattyWhale wrote: HL3 is in development from what I've heard. You won't see L4D 3 or TF3 until after that is released since it will run on a completely new engine, and they wouldn't bother released another game on the HL2 engine when HL3 is in development.

The HL3 will just be the Source Engine with more improvements.

''Don't look at the death star, or you will die''

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 12:20 PM, Orochi wrote: The HL3 will just be the Source Engine with more improvements.

Not much is known about it at the moment. I've heard it called HL3 and Source 2, but Gabe Newell has confirmed that they are indeed working on a completely new engine. I would not be surprised either way at this point though.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:23 PM Reply

I am sure that they will, but it will just take them a long while to get around to it.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

Well, team fortress 2 and left 4 dead 2 dont need sequels. Especially not TF2.
And portal ended at 2. You went into space and ended up in a corn field with a companion cube.

Half life 3 begs for a sequel and for all intensive purposes it is coming, but we dont know when.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 01:52 PM, sweet21 wrote: Well, team fortress 2 dont need sequels.

Why not Team fortress 2? There is no story to it (apart from a little back story) and all it is is just team based games, they should make a third with their new engine when it's made and have everything from Team fortress 2 passed on tf3 but with more stuff and your data is passed on.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 04:21 PM, darkjam wrote:
At 1/14/13 01:52 PM, sweet21 wrote: Well, team fortress 2 dont need sequels.
Why not Team fortress 2? There is no story to it (apart from a little back story) and all it is is just team based games, they should make a third with their new engine when it's made and have everything from Team fortress 2 passed on tf3 but with more stuff and your data is passed on.

There is no need for a new sequel at this point, the cartoonish graphics make it timeless, and it already has shading and anti-aliasing or whatever it's called so it doesn't really need to be updated graphically.

Plus, Valve is making a LOT of money through people buying hats, people would be pissed that they spend hundreds of dollars on virtual hats and Valve suddenly started not giving support to it anymore.

also, like you said, there really is no story, there is no need for another sequel.

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

everyone knows those idiots in Valve cant count to three.

DrClay
DrClay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 11:51 AM Reply

If they ever do make episode 3, I doubt it will be as good as people are making it sound. I'm most likely wrong, its just that people tend to get all hyped up about a sequel, they expect a lot more then what the game actually has.

Lot's of games take a long time for them to make, so it isn't surprising. Look how long Team Fortress 2 took them?
Episode 3 and various other sequels are probably being worked on, but not being rushed for early release. And that's a good thing.

As for their other games, I'm not really sure what they would be able to do in a sequel that they haven't already done.
What would the sequel be for portal 2? The same thing just different?
And what about Left 4 dead 2, people actually got pissed off that valve for releasing it quickly.

Basically, all of there games are being helped by people in the community,
you're getting new maps and such for every game.
So if you want an experience that you haven't really had yet, just use one of those.

TF2 Crew I User Icon Makers Club I Source Filmmaker Crew I
NEWGROUNDS TF2 Server: 192.223.24.28

BBS Signature
BenwaHakubi
BenwaHakubi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 06:40 PM Reply

I'm kinda bored of the L4D series. I dunno if I would buy L4D 3 if it ever came out but I would rent it from redbox if it came out.

I don't play any of the other series from them so I honestly would not know how popular they are besides portal. People are always talking about how they love it so I think they will make a 3rd one. I never really got into portal it was too much of a puzzle game for me. (I just made a ceiling/floor portal to fall through over and over for my amusement).

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 09:04 AM Reply

Valve can only count to potato, any halfwit knows this by now.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
ThunderGearINC
ThunderGearINC
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Will valve ever make a 3rd? Jan. 16th, 2013 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 1/16/13 09:04 AM, Chemich wrote: Valve can only count to potato, any halfwit knows this by now.

maybe they will say this:

ahum we were making part 3 , But OMG it was terrible so we dumped it.
However here's part 4 !!

i may be a bit tired :P