Kel-chan
Kel-chan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 13:28:35 Reply

WHY!!!!

pretty soon there will be no more good animators left on NG cept for like cat fat and jazza .

Machinima....DAMN YOU!

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 13:30:43 Reply

Like who?

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 13:38:15 Reply

Who did they steal?

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Drinze
Drinze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 14:11:04 Reply

mashinima dat cawm mashinima dawt CAWWWWWW

shit is cash
citricsquid
citricsquid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 14:56:12 Reply

imagine

imagine you're in a world where most jobs are pretty crappy and you don't really want a job any way the internet is so great why would I go to work for 38 hours a week serving people ham?

imagine you're talented, you make great animations, people love your animations. you make these animations and post them on newgrounds, you make a few hundred $ a month from the advertisement revenue and you can pay for a cool new wacom tablet with the money, or a new mouse, or go to a nice party, but you still need your job to pay rent

imagine a company says "hey, your animations could attract so many more viewers on youtube and you'll make a lot more money per viewer, because we have a huge number of serious advertisers"

"how much more money?" you say

"if you clear a couple of million views a month you can pay rent and just look at the amount of views this has on youtube when compared to it on newgrounds.com" they say

and so the cogs are turning in your head, more views, more money per view? so you're like, "you're saying I can continue what I'm doing with my animations but more people watch them, I have more fans, more opportunities and the extra money means I can quit my job and do this full time? my parents won't think I'm worthless?"

"yes"

imagine your answer.

think of Newgrounds and Machinima as employers and animators as employees, if you pay peanuts and your employees can get more elsewhere with better benefits why would they stick around? Good will only goes so far... it's unfortunate that the world works this way but money is money and if you can make money doing what you love, exposing your art to more people ('cause that's what creative people love) why wouldn't you?

As an aside it could just as easily be argued that it's unfair of Newgrounds to expect artists to stick around and continue to pay attention to a website that doesn't give them opportunities they can get elsewhere. Think of it like your parents, yes your parents nurtured you for the first 18 years of your life, but after you've grown up should you be expected to pass on opportunities to stick around and help them in old age? Some cultures think yes, others think no.

ultimately it's up to each individual artist but you shouldn't begrudge companies for providing more opportunities, because more opportunities for the artists you love means more content for you.

Machinima aren't stealing artists, they're providing better opportunities.

replace "machinima" with "any Youtube network"
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Reader
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 15:23:04 Reply

Most of them still post their animations on here as well.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
Kel-chan
Kel-chan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 17:12:38 Reply

At 1/12/13 03:23 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Most of them still post their animations on here as well.

yah but its like besides the main animators on here, the general level of quality is going down down down down...

FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 17:33:36 Reply

At 1/12/13 05:12 PM, Kellz5460 wrote:
At 1/12/13 03:23 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Most of them still post their animations on here as well.
yah but its like besides the main animators on here, the general level of quality is going down down down down...

Maybe that's why people don't bother uploading good stuff anymore. It just gets lost in a sea of complete and utter shit.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] :3

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 17:39:38 Reply

I doubt such a well known collection of content would steal anything due to the resulting issues that would obviously cause. The most likely reason for them having such animations would be because the artists themselves have joined them and provide their work to that collection.

If they have however stolen them without the artist's acceptance / knowledge then let the artist know as they are in full right to have the videos taken down.

Weebl (though he isn't Newgrounds persay) has recently joined the HuHaTV channel himself and provides his animations to there, so such things aren't some new and mythical unheard of event. But still make sure that the video does indeed give credit to the artist.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship. Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 20:53:09 Reply

I actually see the quality going up, compared to the massive amounts of spam we would get in '06 and '07.

Now the forums, on the other hand...

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:02:10 Reply

At 1/12/13 08:53 PM, mothballs wrote:
I actually see the quality going up, compared to the massive amounts of spam we would get in '06 and '07.

Bullshit the portal and content has gone to hell the BBS is the only redeeming quality on the site

mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:09:31 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:02 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 1/12/13 08:53 PM, mothballs wrote:

Bullshit the portal and content has gone to hell the BBS is the only redeeming quality on the site

I've been seeing loads of new and awesome games come out for the past couple of years, about 6 years ago there was just loads of spam every day (does anyone remember this crap series?). Let's also not forget stuff like the Kitty Krew, Glock Group, etc. All that's calmed down now, and with the release of the medal system a few years ago we're getting a bunch of cool games.

Even a few years ago the BBS used to have a new post every 10-20 seconds. Now a new post is made about every 10-20 minutes, not to mention that the topics are shit and the General forum seems to have lost its sense of humor it once had.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:13:01 Reply

We also have portal mods now. They quickly remove stolen content, shovelware, etc. Hopefully that allows people to focus more on the good stuff. Just remember, if you see something good, share it with your online friends! :) The more exposure the artists get, the more they will want to submit here.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:16:39 Reply

People say "Dude you don't even submit any content. Even if you did it would be shitty."

And then say that shitty flashes are vastly lowering the quality of the site.

Machinima stealing NG animators

TAB "FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping "xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:56:21 Reply

If NG took advantage of video uploads before YT did it would be a very different world.

BBS Signature
mothballs
mothballs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Game Developer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 21:58:13 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: If NG took advantage of video uploads before YT did it would be a very different world.

That's not what this site is meant for, lol. This is a flash website. I can't imagine the amount of retarded garbage that would go through the portal day in and day out if that was the case.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 22:15:06 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:58 PM, mothballs wrote:
At 1/12/13 09:56 PM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: If NG took advantage of video uploads before YT did it would be a very different world.
That's not what this site is meant for, lol. This is a flash website. I can't imagine the amount of retarded garbage that would go through the portal day in and day out if that was the case.

Yeah, also i think that the role Newgrounds has changed over the years, i think with the rise of the money involved in the business of discovering the next big internet star and how 'shareable' and organic these giant portals have gotten, there are opportunities out there for people who have a reasonable following and need a bigger pond.

I think the true magic of newgrounds is in exposing the fresh talent, the speedosausage, the bpremo's, middlefingerrings etc. I think as a fresh talent you have more value in using newgrounds as a means of getting better and building a following. Once you've gotten to like the 'big leagues' where youre signing your life away for large sums of money and doing it professionally then maybe you feel like you've outgrown the site and you just need a bigger audience. I dont think thats stealing or betrayal or anything, you just need a bigger pond to swim in.

So in my opinion, the role of Newgrounds as it relates to creatives is that its more about uncovering the fresh talent, the people rough around the edges, the raw talent, the sparkle in the eye, the people who have a hunger to get better and deal with reviews that will help you do that. Thats it really. Itd be hard to be a fresh talent and hope to hit it big on youtube, god knows how many awesome stuff that site has in regards to animation that is criminally overlooked.

None

satanbrain
satanbrain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-12 22:59:18 Reply

There will be good animators. They may not be popular and renowned, yet their talent is considerable.

(הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים אָמַר קֹהֶלֶת, הֲבֵל הֲבָלִים הַכֹּל הָבֶל. דּוֹר הֹלֵךְ וְדוֹר בָּא, וְהָאָרֶץ לְעוֹלָם עֹמָדֶת. (קהלת א ג, ה

BBS Signature
Halberd
Halberd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 01:33:10 Reply

Egoraptor still loves newgrounds and would never go to Machinima but he is busy with his Game Grumps thing

also the Machinima contract is so shit and ruins good animators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 06:04:32 Reply

they steal all the things... anything that would get more traffic to their sites... SC2 commentators... "Let's play ________" commentators/etc... it's all a money thing

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Sig By Xeno. Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
Dragen
Dragen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 06:41:27 Reply

At 1/12/13 02:56 PM, citricsquid wrote: imagine a company says "hey, your animations could attract so many more viewers on youtube and you'll make a lot more money per viewer, because we have a huge number of serious advertisers"

Strange how the YouTube video (or any of his other vids) don't have ads. I guess he has disabled it on his account settings. I'm not running Adblock ATM.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 07:53:09 Reply

At 1/12/13 09:13 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Just remember, if you see something good, share it with your online friends! :)

I have no friends

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 09:18:56 Reply

At 1/12/13 10:15 PM, Luis wrote: Itd be hard to be a fresh talent and hope to hit it big on youtube, god knows how many awesome stuff that site has in regards to animation that is criminally overlooked.

This is highly true, some people get noticed and get ridiculously high numbers of views while others might get virtually none despite having better work. Usually this comes down to the fact they didn't whore themselves out for attention as much which is sadly how that site seems to work to get noticed. With Newgrounds you tend to actually get noticed without whoring yourself at all if people are looking for things in the genres / collections you have work in.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship. Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Kel-chan
Kel-chan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 09:33:00 Reply

theres also such few sites that show indie flash animators and games...

and the other ones besides like NG and machinima have such low viewership its rediculous. Not to mention most of those sites have the same exact content from the same struggling animators/artists

Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 09:40:19 Reply

At 1/12/13 10:15 PM, Luis wrote:
At 1/12/13 09:58 PM, mothballs wrote:

I agree, I wasn't saying that NG should have, just that we would be a lot bigger right now if Tom implemented a video option earlier.

Yeah, also i think that the role Newgrounds has changed over the years, i think with the rise of the money involved in the business of discovering the next big internet star and how 'shareable' and organic these giant portals have gotten, there are opportunities out there for people who have a reasonable following and need a bigger pond.

I think the true magic of newgrounds is in exposing the fresh talent, the speedosausage, the bpremo's, middlefingerrings etc. I think as a fresh talent you have more value in using newgrounds as a means of getting better and building a following. Once you've gotten to like the 'big leagues' where youre signing your life away for large sums of money and doing it professionally then maybe you feel like you've outgrown the site and you just need a bigger audience. I dont think thats stealing or betrayal or anything, you just need a bigger pond to swim in.

So in my opinion, the role of Newgrounds as it relates to creatives is that its more about uncovering the fresh talent, the people rough around the edges, the raw talent, the sparkle in the eye, the people who have a hunger to get better and deal with reviews that will help you do that. Thats it really. Itd be hard to be a fresh talent and hope to hit it big on youtube, god knows how many awesome stuff that site has in regards to animation that is criminally overlooked.

This is a great point, I know countless people on Youtube that are criminally undersubscribed as it's now a giant task in itself to get an audience unless you're a master at getting a video viral. Newgrounds has the great role of sculpting these young animators and giving them feedback to get them ready for the big times.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 10:06:11 Reply

I haven't heard anything about NG animators going over to Machinima.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 11:46:00 Reply

At 1/13/13 09:40 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: This is a great point, I know countless people on Youtube that are criminally undersubscribed as it's now a giant task in itself to get an audience unless you're a master at getting a video viral. Newgrounds has the great role of sculpting these young animators and giving them feedback to get them ready for the big times.

Yeah, i put alot of thought into that concept, and how rather than everything by everyone, it should be the talent of the future today. I think if the site is about nurturing and inspiring new people (which it is imo) then newgrounds still has a great role in the creative end of web entertainment. That's something youtube can never take away from it.

You goto youtube to show people stuff, not to LEARN anything about your craft and grow alongside your peers who are also learning the trade. Youtube doesnt embrace that sort of growth, or any sort of a collaborative setting, You are on your own there,youre a star or your nothing. Thats it.

None

rsetienne
rsetienne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 12:45:58 Reply

I think some people get away from Newground because they don't feel like what they submit can be fully appreciated. Like if someone submit a high quality animation about the meaning of life or something and another person submits a cheesy animation Saying its a Pokemon, Mario sonic, Zelda, etc, parody, they are going to get way more attention. So i guess some people don't find their audience here and go elsewhere.
I have heard a couple of NG flash artist talk about that. And the last time i asked one of my friends if they knew about Newgrounds they said " it is that website where they do pokemon parodies?" True story.

Washing* yea i can't spell too

Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 17:27:20 Reply

At 1/12/13 01:28 PM, Kellz5460 wrote: pretty soon there will be no more good animators left on NG cept for like cat fat and jazza .

And oney and psycicpebbles and egoraptor and me and you and me and dan paliden and me and Edmund McMillen and me and Ricepirate and me... Also Dont forget Me

BBS Signature
Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to Machinima stealing NG animators 2013-01-13 17:30:29 Reply

At 1/13/13 12:45 PM, rsetienne wrote: I think some people get away from Newground because they don't feel like what they submit can be fully appreciated. Like if someone submit a high quality animation about the meaning of life or something and another person submits a cheesy animation Saying its a Pokemon, Mario sonic, Zelda, etc, parody, they are going to get way more attention. So i guess some people don't find their audience here and go elsewhere.
I have heard a couple of NG flash artist talk about that. And the last time i asked one of my friends if they knew about Newgrounds they said " it is that website where they do pokemon parodies?" True story.

I totally agree with you there is too many Pokemon parody's just because Egoraptor did one. Also EVERYTHING gets past blam now ANYTHING!

BBS Signature