Be a Supporter!
UltraHammer
UltraHammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
RPG leveling system Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 01:01 PM Reply

I'm at the point of RPG programming where I have to decide how many experience points you get from enemies, and how many it should take to level up each time. I was wondering if anyone here knew how to make this work and be the most fun for challenge, but I'm guessing not so whatever.

kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 02:12 PM Reply

you give little to none information about the game, personally i like non-linear leveling systems that allows high character personalization, or at least complex ones like seen on Skyrim, where each skill levels on its use and you cant just trow points to things you have never used, its more realistic

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 03:05 PM Reply

I'd assume you're talking turn-based RPG? If so I think it depends on how you've spaced out stat gains and abilities over how many levels you can gain in game. More information might be needed to answer properly though.

Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 11:16 PM Reply

At 1/12/13 01:01 PM, UltraHammer wrote: I'm at the point of RPG programming where I have to decide how many experience points you get from enemies, and how many it should take to level up each time. I was wondering if anyone here knew how to make this work and be the most fun for challenge, but I'm guessing not so whatever.

First off, you're being incredibly vague with what kind style of RPG you're working with. There's more than just a turn-based battle systems like Final Fantasy (although they do change about every other iteration) or a open-world combat experience like Skyrim. Will this game be insert type of battle system here. Will it be linear or non-linear? This type of information would be nice to have.

Secondly, don't assume. There may be people out there who know how to do these things that you ask for and you're assumptions---almost insults---are making them kind of resentful towards you. It gives them the idea of what kind of person they'd be helping and, trust me, a person who makes these kind of accusations about a certain community of people won't be the first person they would want to help.

Myself? I don't know how to do anything of the sort. You also need to give off information like what language you're programming in. Is it ActionScript, C++, C, C#, Python, Ruby, Lua, Java, etc? Please give us some information before you start this kind of topic. Really you should be asking in the collaboration forum rather than the video game forum unless you're asking for a person's personal opinion on a subject matter pertaining to video games.

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 03:23 AM Reply

At 1/12/13 11:16 PM, Trapex wrote: Myself? I don't know how to do anything of the sort. You also need to give off information like what language you're programming in. Is it ActionScript, C++, C, C#, Python, Ruby, Lua, Java, etc? Please give us some information before you start this kind of topic. Really you should be asking in the collaboration forum rather than the video game forum unless you're asking for a person's personal opinion on a subject matter pertaining to video games.

I think he was asking what style people prefer, not how to actually code it.

OP, if you're going for a system where each enemy gives a set amount of experience points, obviously stronger ones should give more. It's not super complicated. Although, personally I prefer enemies to scale their exp rewards with how strong you are. Like at the start of the game, killing a rat might give you 100exp, but as you get stronger, and they get relatively weaker, they give less exp, and maybe eventually they don't give any at all.
There's also having skills level up individually, which is always good, but it sounds like you've already set it up so that enemies give experience points.

The perfect leveling system, in my opinion, would be to have monsters give experience relative to how strong you are, but have that experience only work towards leveling up your character to increase base stats. Health, stamina, speed, etc. The skills would be seperate from your base level, maybe some would be restricted until you get strong enough to use them, but there wouldn't be any skill point rewards from leveling up. You would level up each individual skill through use of that skill.
For example, say you want to get better with hammer weapons, and there's a skill to paralyze enemies or something. That skill might be locked until you level up enough to get your strength to 30 points or something, and then you can learn it. You would start off with it having a low hit rate or whatever. Then with each successful use of that skill, you get maybe 10exp towards leveling up that specific skill, and when it levels up it becomes stronger. Sort of like how the guns in Ratchet and Clank work.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 09:48 AM Reply

There is always the option to have a stat based system rather than an all together leveling system. For example Final Fantasy 2 had every stat seperate and all improved based on how much they were used. For example to get more hit points you needed to get hit by the enemy, to get better at weapons you needed to use that type of weapon to attack with enough, to get better at magic you needed to cast the spell you wanted to level, the more it was used the better it became. Such games can prove to be a lot more interesting than the standard experience points to level up method which is now more popular. But at the same time a lot might not enjoy having to get hit to make themselves stronger.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 01:40 PM Reply

I like Skyrim's level system too, where you gain experience by performing certain actions and after enough skill increases you gain a level regardless of which skills you increased.

So, an idea could be to make a few basic categories and have characters gain experience in them when they use certain skills in battle (+magic experience for using magic, +fighting experience for using physical attacks, etc.) rather than basing it on the enemies you defeat.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
Trapex
Trapex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Writer
Response to RPG leveling system Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 03:25 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 03:23 AM, Squidbit wrote: I think he was asking what style people prefer, not how to actually code it.

He asked if anyone here knew how to do it (not sure what he meant by that exactly). He may be talking about recommendations of what people like in RPGs, but he didn't make it clear in his post.