New Topic Respond to this Topic
ahriman22
ahriman22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Looking for a new hardware synth Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 11:32 PM Reply

So I'm looking into buying a new hardware synth, also my first one.

I've narrowed it down to 2 possible choices:
Roland Gaia Sh-01
Novation Ultranova

I was wondering if anyone here might have experience with either of these synths.

I know absolutely nothing about hardware, I know my way around softsynths enough at this point that it's time to move past the controllers and get my hands on a real synthesizer.

I'm leaning more towards the Ultranova because of it's synthesis capabilities, but the Gaia seems to be a much more "user-friendly" one since there's no menu-diving.

SynixAudio
SynixAudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Looking for a new hardware synth Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 07:28 AM Reply

Hey mate I'm somewhat of a synth geek so here is what I think

I've got an UltraNova and I can tell that I've heard fatter sounding oscillators on iPhone apps, so if you buy one don't be hoping for a sick dubstep bass machine (what it was marketed as). However what it is; a digital sounding beautiful soft and elegant pad synth which can also come out with some pretty awesome techy basses.

The Gaia, I have played once or twice and was kinda impressed with it but not blow away, and it's architecture is pretty backwards- it's made like 3 simple one oscillator synths and I've heard a few people complain it's a hindrance.

Other synths I recommend as opposed to the other two:

-Wardolf Blofel: it's such an awesome sounding synth (it's oscillators are so good and filters are too), is pretty easy to patch via a editing matrix, like the one on the microkorg along side that it has a beautifully sharp screen which helps you see whats going on and ontop of that it's 16 part multi timbrel.

-Arturia Minibrute and Roland SH 101, these are both awesome little analogue monosynths that sound perfect in every way!!

hope this helped you mate any questions and I'll answer them!

ahriman22
ahriman22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Looking for a new hardware synth Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 10:32 AM Reply

I wasn't expecting anything super amazing out of out, however I do think that it's better synth because once I actually know what I'm doing, there are so many possibilities with the synth engine of the Ultranova compared to the SH-01.

While the Blofeld I'd very much like, it's out of my price range. I'd like a keyboard with my synth and the Blofeld keyboard version costs about 800$.

I am considering the Minibrute, but having a 100% analog synth isn't that much of a bother to me anymore.

What DAW do you use with you Ultranova? Have you have any odd problems with it?

SynixAudio
SynixAudio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Looking for a new hardware synth Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 10:59 AM Reply

Sh-01 sounds better at the basic va stuff in my opinion but the UltraNova is extremely versatile and can do some awesome digital stuff which the 01 couldn't get close too- they are two completely different synths that couldnt be more different :) I would say go down to your music shop and try before you buy just to make sure you know what you're buying.

Also i haven't had any problems using the novation with ableton, in fact it's amazing to use as a sound card if you're on the go quite a bit, I would take the UltraNova and my laptop to practice (the both fit in the UltraNova gig bag), then Id usb it with my laptop and plug a quarter inch jack from the back of it to the PA no power cables or anything (until my laptop ran out of battery)