• 1 Reply
DRadDaDanDawg
DRadDaDanDawg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Can I eventually live off my music? 2013-01-11 20:22:44

im 16 right now, and I've been making music for like 1.5-2 years, and I will keep doing it, I just want to know if I will be able to live off it/play in clubs when I'm older, or if I just wont be good enough at that point.

Here is how I was last year
http://glimpee.newgrounds.com/audio/

And here is stuff I've been doing more this year of school
https://soundcloud.com/draddadandawg

So will I be good enough to preform in clubs and make enough money off making music to live?

Thanks

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Can I eventually live off my music? 2013-01-11 20:31:29

Don't outright make "Living off music" your goal in life, because very, very, very few people make a living off their music. You can be touring internationally and still need a job at home to pay the bills. How do I know this? Because I've spoken with a few of said musicians.

It also has very little to do with talent, you don't get into the music industry by being good these days, you get in by having connections and/or being show worthy (I.E. Sexy first, music later). Ever wonder why Susan Boyle didn't win Britain's Got Talent? She's got more talent in her pinky finger than most other auditions. She didn't win because she doesn't have a commercial face. It's pretty much an unwritten requirement now-a-days.

Make your music for fun, make your music to get better, and make your music the way you enjoy it. If you get to the point you can make a living off of it along the way, awesome. But don't run yourself into the ground thinking you'll make a living off of it one day just because you worked hard, because hard work doesn't count for shit in the music industry, and your chances of getting rich off of it are about the same as your chances of winning the lottery.

Keep your goals realistic, you're shooting for the stars before you've even started.

Also:
If you wish to advertise or get feedback on your audio, please use the threads linked below:
Audio Advertisement thread.

Work in Progress Advice Thread.

Review Request Club.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature