• 56 Replies
GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 17:40:03

It doesn't bother me that older folks like the show. Different strokes for different folks, but what I found strange about "bronies" is the fact that they express their fondness for the show as some significant element of their identity. It's not enough that they are consumers of the material, they define themselves by this preference. It doesn't make any sense to me. I think it is just another one of those shortcuts to defining oneself. Take this mold, align yourself with it, and all the hard work is done for you.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 17:53:30

At 1/11/13 05:40 PM, GACBassPlayer wrote: It doesn't bother me that older folks like the show. Different strokes for different folks, but what I found strange about "bronies" is the fact that they express their fondness for the show as some significant element of their identity.

That does bug me. It makes me wonder if they had any concept of self identity before they became bronies.

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 18:32:26

I can't stand one-sided documentaries like this. I don't care about MLP at all and yet I know that not all bronies are autistic man-children. I actually know a few and they aren't creepy and obnoxious like that.

wildfire4461
wildfire4461
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 18:43:00

Anybody who thinks that is a legit documentary is a retard. It's one made by haters. Just like this thread.

That's right I like guns and ponies. Problem cocksuckers?
Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense. IMPEACH OBAMA.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 18:43:21

I don't care if grown men are into the show for 5 year old girls, but I do think it's odd.

At 1/11/13 01:20 PM, Ononymous wrote: Liking MLP doesn't create the type of autism those people are suffering from.

Well, of course it doesn't. Linking anything won't create autism.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 18:47:58

:(

Before 2010 my username was pretty cool..

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 18:54:32

Best comedy of the year

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 19:00:24

At 1/11/13 06:47 PM, Fim wrote:
(
Before 2010 my username was pretty cool..

I'll take that one if you don't want it.

Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-11 19:02:13

At 1/11/13 05:53 PM, Darthdenim wrote:
At 1/11/13 05:40 PM, GACBassPlayer wrote: It doesn't bother me that older folks like the show. Different strokes for different folks, but what I found strange about "bronies" is the fact that they express their fondness for the show as some significant element of their identity.
That does bug me. It makes me wonder if they had any concept of self identity before they became bronies.

To answer your question the reason we talk about it is the same reason anyone would show they like anything. It's why someone might have a user icon for Halo or Battlefield or something, it's not like that defines them, but they just show what they like

lithiumsol
lithiumsol
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 19:25:39

no documentary needed the more this shit is dicussed,the more fallout will reign.it's best to just ignore the fans and try to get along.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 19:27:51

At 1/13/13 07:25 PM, lithiumsol wrote: no documentary needed the more this shit is dicussed,the more fallout will reign.it's best to just ignore the fans and try to get along.

Alright, I don't like Batman, The Avengers, and tons of other things, so because I don't like them I'm just gonna ignore all their fans, because if someone likes something I don't like then it's completely impossible for me or anyone els to become their friend

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Mumbo
Mumbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 19:32:41

ITT bitching about bronies. Albeit the first few responses were alright.

http://mumbo.newgrounds.com/
I'm a bisexual fgt. send me dick pics pls.

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 20:24:07

At 1/13/13 08:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Bronies are just neo furries and bandwagon followers. If they legitimately like the show, what is stopping them from also liking shows like Pound Puppies and Johnny Test? It's the same tried and tired humor, the show itself offers nothing unique Or new that others haven't already in the past.

its that cutesy stuff they like

weren't there some popular anime s that involve cute young girls doing cute things and making weird expressions and faces?

that was the only reason I enjoyed it

my love of material goods is far greater than my love of food

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 20:25:21

At 1/13/13 08:20 PM, Protagonist wrote: Bronies are just neo furries and bandwagon followers. If they legitimately like the show, what is stopping them from also liking shows like Pound Puppies and Johnny Test? It's the same tried and tired humor, the show itself offers nothing unique Or new that others haven't already in the past.

I don't even understand your logic

TAB

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 20:33:37

At 1/13/13 08:31 PM, Protagonist wrote: Bronies never attest to that. Whenever I've had the "pleasure" of talking to one, they claim the show is the epitome of humor. Putting it high up because "that one writer from powerpuff girls" is involved Or some other shoehorned reason. Hell, they were even pretentious enough to NAME their fanbase.

You realize that the majority of those people are a little on the mentally incapable side, right?

I like the show enough to watch it if it's on, but it's no where near one of my favorite shows. It's like, 8th on the list or something.

TAB

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 20:40:17

At 1/13/13 08:31 PM, Protagonist wrote: Hell, they were even pretentious enough to NAME their fanbase.

and is that really that big of a deal?

you saying you would have really liked them all that much more if they called themselves "fans of MLP" than "brony's"? It hardly fucking matters.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 20:55:40

While I can't say that all bronies are ill in the head for watching a show that was designed for little girls and maybe families, a lot of them do seem to be of the lowest common denominator, never mind that most of them are introverted enough to enjoy a show that was designed for the young girl/family demographic.

To be fair, I actually do enjoy a few shows that were supposed to be for more of a female demographic, {such as Clannad, for example.} but with that said, I don't go around to the outside world and blab on about how Clannad is a heartwarming, tragic tale of love, loss and whatever else it has, nor do I have to advertise it on a T-shirt to prove it {that's got to be embarrassing to have.} I'd let the story/animation do the talking, which MLP and the brony fanbase are doing the complete opposite.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:03:34

At 1/13/13 09:00 PM, Protagonist wrote:
You're missing the point, It's pretentious as hell. I still wouldn't like them, but they'd at least be more tolerable. Besides, it makes it that much easier to shove it down your throat as they can so easily identify themselves with their obnoxious fanbase name.

Why are you taking it so personally? If you're a brony I did not intent to offend you.

It's still not as pretentious as "trekkie" and it never will be. Nothing can be that pretentious. It's strange that a fan base's name would affect how tolerable it is.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:04:14

At 1/13/13 09:00 PM, Protagonist wrote: Why are you taking it so personally? If you're a brony I did not intent to offend you.

Your way of looking at it kinda annoys me too. There's no reason at all to not like it. It's not pretentious in the least, there are tons of obsessive fans of the show, so they made up a name to easily identify themselves with.

Do you think the term "Trekkie" is pretentious too? Because it's the exact same situation, only with a geeky science fiction rather than a girly show with ponies...

TAB

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:05:49

At 1/13/13 09:03 PM, Suprememessage wrote: It's still not as pretentious as "trekkie" and it never will be. Nothing can be that pretentious. It's strange that a fan base's name would affect how tolerable it is.

Holy shit man

Friendship is Magic

TAB

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:06:36

At 1/13/13 09:00 PM, Protagonist wrote: You're missing the point, It's pretentious as hell. I still wouldn't like them, but they'd at least be more tolerable. Besides, it makes it that much easier to shove it down your throat as they can so easily identify themselves with their obnoxious fanbase name.

assuming that everyone who happens to be a fan of the show and uses that word must be doing it to annoy you.

You never once thought it was just a humble word to refer to a fan base that just caught on? Yeah sure, some people probably do use the word to be obnoxious but go hate them instead instead of trying to blame everyone else.

Why are you taking it so personally? If you're a brony I did not intent to offend you.

Im not, im just sick of how fucking whiney some people can get about the most pathetic things.

Its one thing to be a faggot and watch a childrens show, its a worse thing to waste your time complaining to me about it, faggot.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:09:48

At 1/13/13 09:07 PM, Protagonist wrote: The demographic for MLP is young children, no offense.

I'm a young child at heart

TAB

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:15:42

At 1/13/13 09:11 PM, Protagonist wrote: and yet you're whining in return. Ironic is it not?

Hell, i'm not the one who started it and I see no reason why i should be a good example because I doubt you would change because of it.

Well, I see you're intelligent enough to resort to homophobic slurs. Why don't you calm down, and stop doing the same thing you're complaining about.

how about you don't accuse me of being anything just because i'm arguing with yer

I have better things to do than to mock and laugh at some disgusting freaks on the internet who dress up in faggot clothes and dance to a baby's cartoon, but hell if you like it, go right ahead.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:22:14

At 1/13/13 09:19 PM, Protagonist wrote:
At 1/13/13 09:15 PM, MrPercie wrote: Hell, i'm not the one who started it and I see no reason why i should be a good example because I doubt you would change because of it.
How close minded are you that you'd have to "change" me?

Sais the guy that thinks it's pretentious to give a large group of people who like the same thing a name.

Is it because you wanna fit in with a group of people who have their own term?

TAB

BBS Signature
MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:26:30

Who said I was laughing? Where are you pulling these assumptions out of?

you certainty dont like erm, sounds like to me you thought that out of the millions of bronies, they were all the same kind of irritating obnoxious freaks so you would take pleasure in watching a video that mocks them as some spastic demented cult.

BBS Signature
Slint
Slint
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 37
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:27:12

What if I was already a communist?

Friendship is Magic

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Audiophile
Response to Friendship is Magic 2013-01-13 21:29:05

...As you can see from the later point of this thread, it only turned into a vicious cycle over the same topic. Nothing else to see here.

[ BBS Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut