Be a Supporter!
UltraHammer
UltraHammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 12:17 AM Reply

In any kind of game, what would generally be more important, having enemies that are interesting and fun to kill, or having a playable character that is interesting and fun to play as?

SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

hmm I'm going with enemies on this one. I feel that having really cool or badass enemies makes the gaming experience that much more enjoyable, even though that can be said about the character as well.

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:05 AM Reply

At 1/11/13 12:17 AM, UltraHammer wrote: In any kind of game, what would generally be more important, having enemies that are interesting and fun to kill, or having a playable character that is interesting and fun to play as?

Good enemies are characters. You want to learn to hate or despise, or perhaps feel sorry for the people threatening the world who you have to try and stop. Good RPGs do this very well, for example FF9 is one of the best. You have Beatrix who you grow hatred for to begin with before realising of her true feelings and showing her the pain of the Princess she was devoted to, finally breaking her from being an enemy but at the same time she continues to suffer guilt for both sides of her actions to the end of the game. Then you have Kuja who grows on you as a great villain, wanting to destroy him before it is discovered that he is not only mortal but will also not live much longer from how he was created, which leads him into a denial fuelled rage before he finally admits his mortality and saves your life after defeating him. It is really good to have such memorable characters who you can be so fuelled to fight at one moment, yet then feel pity for them as you finally do.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:26 AM Reply

They're both equally important, really.

At 1/11/13 04:05 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: Good enemies are characters.

Story isn't always important. It matters in RPGs but games from other genres sometimes don't have much of a story at all.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 06:27 PM Reply

Both are important to some degree of course be best, but if I had to pick I would go for interesting enemies (or an interesting villain).

I'm kind of used to playing as a mute character with no personality traits and not-that-much back story and I don't mind playing as such a guy to be honest. It works fine in most games. Also, in a lot of games I've played it's often the enemies that really drive the story and if the main villain is a bore then I think the game will just be a lot less interesting.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
UltraHammer
UltraHammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 04:26 AM, Entice wrote: Story isn't always important. It matters in RPGs but games from other genres sometimes don't have much of a story at all.

Hey I totally agree but that's an interesting thought...

Why does it pretty much always matter in RPGs?

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Enemies or character? Jan. 12th, 2013 @ 02:50 AM Reply

At 1/11/13 09:33 PM, UltraHammer wrote: Why does it pretty much always matter in RPGs?

I think people play RPGs to see "what happens next" so I just think it's important that the gamer can build a connection with both enemies and main characters.

I like super metroid how it has both great villains and a great hero. Always adds replay value :D

Don't Click
Personal Website