New Topic Respond to this Topic
iamjoe666
iamjoe666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
professional gaming 2013-01-09 20:48:52 Reply

I hesitate to post this thread but I must. What do you guys think about professional gamers? How hard is it to become one? I was shocked to find out professional Starcraft 2 players make 100k a year.

BBS Signature
TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 21:06:04 Reply

Professional gaming as a career is a terrible idea, unless you live with your parents or something

BBS Signature
scoutthesoldier
scoutthesoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 21:12:54 Reply

They may make easy money, but can they get easy sex?

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature
Thegluestickman
Thegluestickman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 21:20:53 Reply

At 1/9/13 09:12 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: They may make easy money, but can they get easy sex?

Yes

http://www.cracked.com/article_18763_5-insane-true-facts-abo ut-starcraft-professional-sport_p2.html

Your move.

To protect the world from devastation.
kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 21:40:42 Reply

professional as in MLG? I would rather kill myself.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Reader
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 21:46:54 Reply

At 1/9/13 09:12 PM, scoutthesoldier wrote: They may make easy money, but can they get easy sex?

Maybe not, but still worth it

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
iamjoe666
iamjoe666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 23:32:40 Reply

At 1/9/13 09:40 PM, HighWay wrote: professional as in MLG? I would rather kill myself.

Can you elaborate more? Is this because of the nerd aspect?

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-09 23:53:50 Reply

Um, yeah, might as well try to be an artist or rockstar...

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-10 00:04:40 Reply

At 1/9/13 11:53 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Um, yeah, might as well try to be an artist or rockstar...

It's not that difficult... play a game you enjoy, get good at it... If you enjoy it enough, you won't get burned out and just get better naturally.

I've been invited to numerous pro teams for Trackmania, as well as invited to tournaments (Latest one sported a $10,000 1st place prize and a chance at official sponsorship). Why? Because I love the game, play it a lot, and naturally got good at it, I hold a few world records, and most regular players know who I am.

Thing is, to play professionally, you have to play to win, you don't get paid for coming in last. It also means long hours of working on things you may not enjoy (In my case, playing specific tracks for hours and hours on end to prepare for tourneys). I've turned down every offer I've gotten for being on pro teams or to go to tourneys because I want to play the game and enjoy it, and I can't do that if all my time spent playing is spent practicing a very small selection of tournament tracks.

... I also hate playing games competitively.. And when you're on a pro team, it is competitive... because like I said... If you don't win, you don't get paid.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
iamjoe666
iamjoe666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-10 02:37:17 Reply

At 1/10/13 12:04 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: It also means long hours of working on things you may not enjoy (In my case, playing specific tracks for hours and hours on end to prepare for tourneys).

What's the minimum hours a day you have to practice? It seems like this is the only hobby the pros have. I hear some starcraft players spend 10 hours a day. Is it possible to do this and still have a life outside of it and time for other hobbys?

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-10 16:44:35 Reply

At 1/10/13 02:37 AM, iamjoe666 wrote:
At 1/10/13 12:04 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: It also means long hours of working on things you may not enjoy (In my case, playing specific tracks for hours and hours on end to prepare for tourneys).
What's the minimum hours a day you have to practice? It seems like this is the only hobby the pros have. I hear some starcraft players spend 10 hours a day. Is it possible to do this and still have a life outside of it and time for other hobbys?

There is no minimum, no one is going to force you to practice so many hours a day, unless there's a mandatory training session, which usually includes multiple members from the team, and would usually only happen when you know what you have to brush up on for an upcoming tournament.

As for still having a life, of course you can. The biggest downside is that there is a lot of travelling (Which could be a plus to some people) to do, because not all tourneys happen in the same place. If you're sponsored, the sponsor will likely pay for the trip, if you're not, you're paying for it out of your own pocket, or your team may help you pay... depends on the people you play with really... the team I was on offered to pay for a trip down to the states for me to take part in a tourney, but I don't have a passport, so I couldn't go even if they did pay.

Travelling aside, as long as you keep your edge in the game of your choice, there's no reason you can't still do other things and enjoy life.

Keep in mind though, like any other job, there are always times where you're really gonna hate doing it, even dream jobs have bad moments.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
Ronald-McDonald-LoL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-10 17:36:45 Reply

I know some people who make money on the side from Twitch.tv, but no "professional" gamers. I've never met anyone who makes enough to be considered a career, though if you make money gaming, more power to you. Just don't plan to spend your life doing it.

Dora's Bike | Descent Club | EGB | Sig by byteslinger. Click for my Twitch channel.

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-10 20:41:26 Reply

At 1/9/13 08:48 PM, iamjoe666 wrote: How hard is it to become one? I was shocked to find out professional Starcraft 2 players make 100k a year.

You will never become one. Just to not give you any sort of foolish notion of wasting your time to get into such things. It requires great reactions, high abilities to multitask and stratergise, brilliant and swift impulsive decision making and countless years of gaming the same levels in order to master the game.

Almost all, if not all professional gamers are teenagers before their brains start to slow down, as soon as that happens they are useless to the professional field as their reactions will no longer be good enough.

No matter how good you think you are at games, remember you play them as a game. These people play them as their life.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
ArmouredGRIFFON
ArmouredGRIFFON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to professional gaming 2013-01-12 20:20:01 Reply

At 1/10/13 08:41 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: No matter how good you think you are at games, remember you play them as a game. These people play them as their life.

Hold the Z key.
Your life depends on it.

If anybody wants to play SC2 give me a holla-.

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature