New Topic Respond to this Topic
njaddison
njaddison
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-09 20:04:59 Reply

I was just wondering if there were any musicians on the site that use trackers (other than me), ex. FastTracker II, MilkyTracker, SkaleTracker, Impulse Tracker, etc.
If there are any others out there, I was wondering if maybe someone could collaborate on a song, or give me some .xi instruments (I use MilkyTracker, SkaleTracker, and FastTracker II), or suggest some good modules to listen to.

If you don't know what a Tracker is, go to wikipedia, and search for tracker (music software). Trackers are actually much easier to use than most commercial music making programs today, even though they are OLD (Trackers were created in the late 1980s, but I use modern ones). Also, trackers are MUCH easier to use than a musical keyboard. You just play the notes like you would on a musical keyboad, and it will record the notes pretty relative to the time you press the keys on your computer's keyboard.
Most of all, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one out here in this big world still using Trackers.
Below is a picture of a Tracker.

Any other tracker musicians?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-09 20:41:47 Reply

VolcansMusic, as far as I'm aware, uses FamiTracker.

AMDG ✝

Reflection for this Advent: Jesus, Mary and Joseph were asylum-seekers.
Currently in progress: INI:FLIPSWITCH

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-09 20:45:51 Reply

At 1/9/13 08:04 PM, njaddison wrote: Trackers are actually much easier to use than most commercial music making programs today, even though they are OLD (Trackers were created in the late 1980s, but I use modern ones). Also, trackers are MUCH easier to use than a musical keyboard. You just play the notes like you would on a musical keyboad, and it will record the notes pretty relative to the time you press the keys on your computer's keyboard.

You can use your computer's keyboard to play music in pretty much any DAW as far as I know (well I know you can with REAPER).
Also, what makes you say they're easier than more modern software? This isn't trying to be mean or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Do you have a decent amount of experience with both?

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
houzatosis
houzatosis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-09 22:00:55 Reply

pretty much any module by keith303, nagz or celsius is stellar, plus "jazzfactory deluxe" by michu and ".release relax deny." by erek.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 00:14:26 Reply

Didn't DJintheDark use a tracker to make his music? I remember him being popular like 5 years ago.

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 06:02:53 Reply

At 1/9/13 08:04 PM, njaddison wrote: I was just wondering if there were any musicians on the site that use trackers (other than me), ex. FastTracker II, MilkyTracker, SkaleTracker, Impulse Tracker, etc.
If there are any others out there, I was wondering if maybe someone could collaborate on a song, or give me some .xi instruments (I use MilkyTracker, SkaleTracker, and FastTracker II), or suggest some good modules to listen to.

If you don't know what a Tracker is, go to wikipedia, and search for tracker (music software). Trackers are actually much easier to use than most commercial music making programs today, even though they are OLD (Trackers were created in the late 1980s, but I use modern ones). Also, trackers are MUCH easier to use than a musical keyboard. You just play the notes like you would on a musical keyboad, and it will record the notes pretty relative to the time you press the keys on your computer's keyboard.
Most of all, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one out here in this big world still using Trackers.
Below is a picture of a Tracker.

Big time FL Studio, Pro Tools and Digital Performer user here! I use trackers once in a while for some smaller projects. It's not my favorite way to produce music but it's sort of it's a craft somehow to even understand how to do it.

MilkyTracker is what I track with. Might have to dig up some of my old modfiles somewhere in an external drive somewhere...

<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
wandschrank
wandschrank
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 06:15:17 Reply

I use FamiTracker and Renoise now and then, but I have to admit that for me it's really more comfortable to use Ableton, even for my chiptune stuff. Although I love using trackers now and then for that "retro feeling", my workflow with normal DAWs is better.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 11:08:45 Reply

At 1/9/13 08:45 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Also, what makes you say they're easier than more modern software? This isn't trying to be mean or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Do you have a decent amount of experience with both?

once you get used to using almost nothing but keyboard shortcuts pretty much all trackers have a super fast workflow. also the old style trackers have a lot less going on in terms of effects & polyphony so you end up writing around those kinds of limitations and the experience is a lot more simple. i still write faster in FL than in a tracker but probably just due to having more experience & muscle memory with the former, y'know?

ANYWAY i do fiddle with trackers a lot. i've taken a fancy to adlib tracker and milky tracker, also use famitracker sometimes. then there's LSDJ, which is pretty much my favourite thing in the world nowadays.

p.s. i am gay

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 12:45:23 Reply

=) I use tracker too. Currently I use Impulse and Fasttracker at first, now using Modplug and Renoise. Been using for over a decade. Midimachine was right. Once you know how trackers work it is super fast to work with.

Any other tracker musicians?

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 15:42:51 Reply

Current project I'm working on http://elitistinen.comuv.com/module/shader.it still wip.

I don't want to nuke it yet because that's my entry for Assembly Winter this year.

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-10 18:38:25 Reply

I have experience with Milky. If you're interested in growing your sample library you could check some of the tracks I have posted here and see if any of them appeal to you.

njaddison
njaddison
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-12 20:25:11 Reply

At 1/9/13 08:45 PM, MetalRenard wrote:
At 1/9/13 08:04 PM, njaddison wrote: Trackers are actually much easier to use than most commercial music making programs today, even though they are OLD (Trackers were created in the late 1980s, but I use modern ones). Also, trackers are MUCH easier to use than a musical keyboard. You just play the notes like you would on a musical keyboad, and it will record the notes pretty relative to the time you press the keys on your computer's keyboard.
You can use your computer's keyboard to play music in pretty much any DAW as far as I know (well I know you can with REAPER).
Also, what makes you say they're easier than more modern software? This isn't trying to be mean or anything, I'm genuinely curious. Do you have a decent amount of experience with both?

A tracker's row/column interface makes it easier to use than some modern musical programs' piano roll editor. I never did like piano rolls, they are not very easy to use for me. Also, tracker's are very user friendly when it comes to commands (ex. pitch bend, volume, panning position, panning slide, etc.). I wish that there were a free MIDI sequencer that functioned like a tracker. Anvil Studio is very easy, but you have to pay for extra features.

And I do have experience with modern music programs. I use Caustic on Android sometimes. SkaleTracker is modern also. It's just like Renoise, a modern music program with a tracker interface. SkaleTracker supports synths, vst plugins, MIDI controllers and output, .ogg output. It has a built in Mixer with a graphic equalizer, and channel mixing also. It also has a bunch of other features that I don't know about yet. It is the most advanced Tracker (other than Renoise).

My point is, if someone is looking to learn to create music, a tracker is an easy, and usually free solution (only commercial trackers I know are Renoise and MadTracker).

BTW, Does anyone know where I can get some free distortion pedal VST plugins. SkaleTracker supports VST Plugins (in it's native .skm module format). I want to make some metal, but I can only use the few samples I have. Thanks!

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-12 22:53:51 Reply

protracker count?

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
Lashmush
Lashmush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-13 20:34:53 Reply

I've worked in ProTracker 4, FastTracker 2, ModPlug 1.16 and I now use Renoise. Started at age 11 (1998) and have been doing it ever since.

Trackers = Sequencing perfection.

Listen to and download Ultima Eternus in MP3 right here on NG or buy the lossless version! Srsly, buy it. >:c

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-13 20:47:38 Reply

I don't know how people get anything done with a tracker. I only understand piano rolls.

Lashmush
Lashmush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-13 20:56:37 Reply

At 1/13/13 08:47 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: I don't know how people get anything done with a tracker. I only understand piano rolls.

technically, you can get the exact same results with pretty much any DAW as far as mixing and sequencing is concerned so you're not necessarily losing anything by sticking with pianorolls. i've been considering doing comprehensive beginners tutorials for renoise/modplug/whatever tracker (they all pretty much operate the same way with some compatability and layout differences). it would be fun to see how cubase/FL users feel about trackers once they get the basics down (and they're not as hard as they look).

Listen to and download Ultima Eternus in MP3 right here on NG or buy the lossless version! Srsly, buy it. >:c

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-13 23:13:20 Reply

At 1/13/13 08:56 PM, Lashmush wrote:
At 1/13/13 08:47 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: I don't know how people get anything done with a tracker. I only understand piano rolls.
technically, you can get the exact same results with pretty much any DAW as far as mixing and sequencing is concerned so you're not necessarily losing anything by sticking with pianorolls. i've been considering doing comprehensive beginners tutorials for renoise/modplug/whatever tracker (they all pretty much operate the same way with some compatability and layout differences). it would be fun to see how cubase/FL users feel about trackers once they get the basics down (and they're not as hard as they look).

Conceptually I understand how trackers work. You trigger samples for a given length with various slide or volume squiggles going on until it terminates over a series of ticks in the module file. I've reverse-engineered several module files myself by reading the actual notes programmed into it via the XMplay visualizer. It just seems like a complete massive pain in the ass to actually do. I took one look at Renoise and was like "oh my god get me out of here". Every other tracker I've seen has yielded similar reactions.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-14 09:17:04 Reply

I still use tracker because of the convenience of module file. Samples can be squeezed to tiny size without losing much quality. Most major music players (VLC, Winamp) can run them pretty smooth. Total control over notes. Although even traditional module files such as Impulse (it) and Fasttracker (xm) are still have a lot of limited things. Perhaps the most perfect module file is mo3. I think what I value the most with using tracker is time. On FL Studio normally it takes me more than 3 hours to work on a 3 minutes song but on tracker it's 2 hours flat.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-14 10:23:00 Reply

I used milkytracker... even write a manual for it when they didn't have one. Personally I just find it too cumbersome to make full length songs in though.

HolyKonni
HolyKonni
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-14 10:48:40 Reply

I'm a tracker musician!! :) I love trackers.

I've used Milkytracker, LSDJ on the gameboy but now I use Little GP Tracker on the PSP for chiptunes.
Trackers ftw

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-14 14:21:24 Reply

Im an amateur, but I have one.
I use famitracker.
Still trying to get used to it, but I've created sound samples before.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-15 10:17:04 Reply

It's difficult to find a module tracker that runs fine on Linux. I don't want to use Modplug via wine anymore. Milky is buggy. While Renoise can only load (only Impulse) but does not save module file.

CidiousClef
CidiousClef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Any other tracker musicians? 2013-01-15 19:49:45 Reply

Trackers are cool. I hear most Breakcore artists and most people who work with really tight drum lines use them because nothing lets them go to town with complex rolls like a tracker. A ton of Chiptune artists do their work there because thats the way to go, really. At the very least, I know Venetian Snares and Paradox use them. So, thats a point there.

I could never get to work on one though, partially because I'm not used to reading it topdown, looking at the names of the notes instead of seeing where they are and such. I'm used to piano rolls just because it lets me see whats there really quickly and then work on that. For stuff like putting in notes, FL Studio has a step editing mode, and I've gotten used to just clicking in the notes for a long time now.

BBS Signature