New Topic Respond to this Topic
8keep
8keep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Chord Progressions Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 02:52 PM Reply

I am having trouble with chord progressions. How do you come up with one, I know to stay in the same key, but I just can never create any good sounding progressions.

What about progressive house? Those chord progressions sound really complicated.

Megamannt92
Megamannt92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Chord Progressions Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 05:14 PM Reply

At 1/6/13 02:52 PM, 8keep wrote: I am having trouble with chord progressions. How do you come up with one, I know to stay in the same key, but I just can never create any good sounding progressions.

What about progressive house? Those chord progressions sound really complicated.

You're trying too hard. I find the best songs come when I'm just experimenting and messing around rather than when I'm trying hard to write a song. Inspiration will hit you better that way. Listening to different types of music helps too! Broaden out your musical horizons. That might mean even listening to music that isn't exactly your favorite genre.

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Chord Progressions Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 06:19 PM Reply

How much music theory do you know? Music theory, the more complex stuff in particular, can assist you greatly if you use it correctly.

And have you tried working the opposite way? Instead of making a chord progression first and then adding a melody on top of it, try making a melody and then throwing chords under it. If a melody's good, chances are it has a great-sounding chord progression too.

For instance I can't work by making chord progressions first. In the rare occasion that I come up with a great chord progression on its own, the melody that comes out on top of it is terrible because it sounds exactly like I'm trying to "force" it into the chords, if you get what I mean. Then again, I have friends who work the other way round and their music is amazing, so it's all in which approach you prefer.

Good luck.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
retrobox2
retrobox2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Chord Progressions Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 07:48 PM Reply

Well it depends on how much theory you know and depending on the genre.

To start dont complicate things too much and you can start with some basic chord progressions. I-V-IV (each number represents the number of the note in the scale ex. C-G-F) is on of the most used progression and is because is a really versatile progression that sounds really good. It goes from the tonic (root note) to the 5 and the perfect 4, which is really easy to use and soundS good. You can pick some good already used progression until you train your ear a bit. Another thing I often did when I started is play some random whole notes and then when you have some that sound good use them as the tonic of your chord and of course use the first one as your key. When you get more experienced you can start to twist it as you like it but staying in harmony :)

Oh and im not a big fan of the house but most of the house i know they often use lots of seventh chords but of course I listen to deep house so im not sure if in the progressive is the same.