New Topic Respond to this Topic
GiantPugStudios
GiantPugStudios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Brighter Color and your Enjoyment Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:10 PM Reply

Recently I've been making more Flash character rigs and I noticed the color palettes I pick for them seem to have a desaturated type of color to them.

I was comparing a screenshot of The Simpsons when they used Cel Animation, and a screenshot from one of the new episodes, and I found the colors on the newer HD episodes are much less bright and vibrant than back when they were using cel animation.

My Question is, do you like when animation has a more natural and desaturated color palette or do you like when the colors pop more?

BBS Signature
Emrox
Emrox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Brighter Color and your Enjoyment Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 11:10 PM, GiantPugStudios wrote: My Question is, do you like when animation has a more natural and desaturated color palette or do you like when the colors pop more?

I like my colors super-saturated and high in contrast. Your palette should only be as realistic as the rest of your cartoon.

BBS Signature
Max-Vador
Max-Vador
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Brighter Color and your Enjoyment Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 12:23 AM Reply

color affects mood. desaturated colors make for a more dreary feel to a scene. while bright and "absolute" colors have a happier mood to them. go with what your scene calls for