New Topic Respond to this Topic
IronicMaiden
IronicMaiden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 08:03 PM Reply

Like many modern folks, I grew up with videogames. More specifically, a Nintendo 64 and five games for it: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Kart 64, Jet Force Gemini, Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and LoZ: Majora's Mask.

Other than Mario Kart, these games have text that is important to the gameplay, in gameplay. The Legend of Zelda games and Jet Force Gemini were especially text heavy. When I was a wee lad, barely able to hold the controller correctly, I needed my father to read all the text out loud to me.

But my father worked long, long hours to keep us afloat. When he got home he'd usually be exhausted. I remember one day, he got home and was too tired to want to read me the text, he just wanted to relax. This was when I was four years old, having learned the alphabet and how to put the letters together but not quite how to read, not just yet. I was playing Ocarina of Time, and asked him to tell me what it said on the screen. "I just got home from work, I don't want to read for you," he said. "Why don't you just play one of the games that don't need you to read?"

Well, I didn't do that. Instead I studied the letters on the screen, scrutinized them. I knew my ABCs and all that jive, I had all the puzzle pieces; but it was the actual putting together of the puzzle that was difficult. But I did it. I managed to read all the text on the screen. I was agonizingly slow at first, but as time went on and I played more, no longer needing my father to read it for me or wanting him to, I became practiced and so I learned to read.

So the next time some old fool tells you videogames will rot a young person's brain, you tell them from me that a videogame can teach a child one of the most important lessons, give them one of the most important gifts they will ever receive in the whole of their lives.

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Melancholy
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 09:07 PM Reply

I'm pretty sure I learned English from video games.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
VoidForce
VoidForce
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Game Developer
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 09:22 PM Reply

I'd never really considered it before but I suppose it did help me learn to read a bit.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

They probably didn't teach me to read outright but text heavy games, specifically Final Fantasy IV through IX definitely gave me an advantage in my early years.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
silico
silico
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 05:20 AM Reply

*nods*

I'm not that big of a fan of reading literature, so video games have definitely contributed a lot towards my English. Today, I always make sure to toggle subtitles on, especially in heavily spoken games so I make sure that I don't miss any details.

I believe that the older generation which criticizes the younger ones forget to understand this, but with the current representation of gaming, it's hard to see that way compared to previous times.

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 07:10 AM Reply

It helped to have an upbringing of text heavy games for sure. But it wasn't them alone that made me able to read.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 02:39 PM Reply

I'm pretty sure playing video games at a young age gave me a huge head start in English class in school. By the time they finally started teaching us English I already had a decent, basic vocabulary and while I've never been good with languages, I was amongst the people with the highest grade for the English exam in high school.

So yeah, it's a good tool to get familiar with a foreign language or to learn to read like in your case.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Reader
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 9th, 2013 @ 04:46 PM Reply

I never thought of it like that before, quite interesting. I guess it did help me with my english now that I look back it.

Stretch those glutes, Flitter!
"You are a generally happy and carefree person." - Sectus
"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

BBS Signature
Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Videogames Taught Me To Read Jan. 9th, 2013 @ 05:31 PM Reply

Like a few have already said, I'm sure it didn't directly teach me to read, but I did play quite a few text-heavy games growing up, which I'm sure helped some.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature