00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MatthieuxDancingDead just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Sub-Genre request pt. 2

1,211 Views | 23 Replies

New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:22:50

This thread was actually a really good idea, I don't think it'd clog up your portal that hard to input stuff that'd work, since people come on here and want to listen to the type of music they can really think they'd enjoy/know about.
Trap is prominant
Mombathon is VERY prominant in every club and lounges, even moreso in europe (Afrojack does mombathon in some of his songs...bangduck)
Bro you don't even have an "Experimental" Electronic section for all those who fancy they'd want one genre, but don't want to be stuck with one thing only
Hardstyle/Hardcore is SO prominant atm o.o

and yet...you have one called "chipstep"...I won't even try to pretend that "if I don't know it, it's not prominent"...it might be...buuuut liiiiike x_x, I'd bet that's a sub-type of Chiptune o_o.

all that being said (I just didn't like how the other user got shut down like that), a proposition for your portal would be to let people pick one of your genres...but also have, in every genre an "other: PLEASE SPECIFY" section...just to make it easier on everyone, and to save time, because your options are very limited o.o.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:35:14

Wait, when did chipstep and nerdcore get added?

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:38:19

What the hell, I've never seen that chipstep sub-genre before. Must be recent. What is chipstep anyway...?

And um, while I agree it's pretty silly that there are very obscure genres like ska and apparently now chipstep too, and then there aren't more popular genres like hardstyle and orchestral, remember that the more genres that are added, the more complicated the whole system will end up being.

To be honest I think everyone should stop fussing over genres, really. Good music is good music, and if you've got the "generic" genres like techno, classical, hip-hop, rock/metal, etc... then there really isn't much of a need of getting into such detail. The only genre from the ones you mentioned that I've heard of before is hardstyle, frankly, and even that, I believe, does not warrant its own genre, especially since we have tagging now so we can just make hardstyle one of the tags.

Don't forget that genres change with the times, and new genres pop up every once in a while, whereas old genres may die down in popularity. If the staff added all these genres that are currently prominent, then with time the genre list really piles up, and we end up with lots of unpopular genres.

Oh and experimental can be put under miscellaneous.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:49:58

Alright Step you make perfectly valid point, I guess it really was never that big a deal to begin with xp.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:54:40

At 1/5/13 12:22 PM, Axel7 wrote: Afrojack does mombathon...

Every song of his is so simple that everyone with a bit of a talent could do, and even though I like most of the electronic music, Afrojack is the biggest shit I've heard since Justin Bieber.

Might not be completely ontopic, just an opinion.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 12:58:59

lol

inb4 the lock

SUCK MY KICK

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 13:01:12

Why the fuck is there a chiptune genre?

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 13:02:31

*chipstep obviously.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 13:07:42

At 1/5/13 01:01 PM, Buoy wrote: Why the fuck is there a chiptune genre?

It's actually funny how there's chipstep but no chiptune.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 13:08:29

was gonna post then decided not too - just seen nerdcore, what the hell? better variety/choice in genres makes it easier to find what you want to hear, or can we just have a general genre for the main branches e.g. just "Easy Listening" or "Electronic" - it's annoying being forced into a genre the song isn't or having to put it in misc.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 13:44:57

At 1/5/13 12:54 PM, DJDela wrote:
At 1/5/13 12:22 PM, Axel7 wrote: Afrojack does mombathon...
Every song of his is so simple that everyone with a bit of a talent could do, and even though I like most of the electronic music, Afrojack is the biggest shit I've heard since Justin Bieber.

Might not be completely ontopic, just an opinion.

Afrojack is one of the Dirty Dutch pioneers, that's why his stuff never gets old. Matter of taste I guess.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 14:44:13

I think Soundcloud has the right idea, where users type in the genres themselves. Would it hurt for Newgrounds to adopt a system like that?

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 15:02:40

At 1/5/13 01:44 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Afrojack is one of the Dirty Dutch pioneers, that's why his stuff never gets old. Matter of taste I guess.

You're completely right, I just had to express myself how I feel about some dickheads who got popular over a few songs, and then release complete shit.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 15:37:41

At 1/5/13 02:44 PM, Juicebomb wrote: I think Soundcloud has the right idea, where users type in the genres themselves. Would it hurt for Newgrounds to adopt a system like that?

It has to do with the origins of the audio portal as a resource for flash artists looking for royalty free music. At this point, making a new system would require a shit ton of work and the NG staff has always been a small group of dedicated but overworked peeps. They've recently overhauled everything... let them sleep on it :p

quarl BandCamp

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 16:41:10

time to start making chipstep... whatever that is.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 16:52:20

At 1/5/13 04:41 PM, Sequenced wrote: time to start making chipstep... whatever that is.

lmao theres not one submission in chipstep

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 16:53:32

At 1/5/13 04:52 PM, AeroMusic wrote:
At 1/5/13 04:41 PM, Sequenced wrote: time to start making chipstep... whatever that is.
lmao theres not one submission in chipstep

exactly :)

lel

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 17:42:00

You could always browse songs by tag, for example songs with the tag Hardstyle.

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 17:44:05

At 1/5/13 12:38 PM, Step wrote: What the hell, I've never seen that chipstep sub-genre before. Must be recent. What is chipstep anyway...?

Chipstep is a 8 bit subgenre of Dubstep. This is what it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cyr7l9yBw it seems to be Newgrounds worthy if you ask me, considering all the video game references on the site n all :3 i might take a shot at it sometime

I likeh that Funkeh sound!

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 18:24:16

this is a small list of chipstep artists if anyone is interested:

abortifacient
stress_tn
rubijaq
frostbyte
monodeer
cheapshot
lazerbeat
zef

also chibi-tech's moe moe kyunstep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RepmJduc_DI, which is completely 2a03 (nes chip) and VRC6 (sound expansion in some konami games). not tracked but programmed in MML or something, plus mastering. fucking inctedible, considering!

p.s. i am gay

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 18:50:52

Why can we just input genres like on soundcloud?

Hey check out my music! Its guitarlicious or something.... Pirate Metal! | Rock with guest Female Vocalist

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 19:09:01

For the record, you could migrate newgrounds' current system to typing in genres by simply changing the genres to a special "genre tag", auto-tagging the older songs to where they were before, then dumping the old genre system and simply searching by keyword instead of using lists of subgenres no one cares about. Poof, now you have a system like Soundcloud.

The technical requirements would be that you'd have to add a column in the database, migrate all the old songs over, rewrite the audio submission form to take a textbox for the genre and set it to the new column in the database, and then adapt the search function to search by genre instead of just by title and use the same formula that was used there. You'd also have to adjust the display functions to get the genre from the new column in the database instead of the old one and adjust the project manager.

</codespeak>

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 19:29:44

At 1/5/13 06:50 PM, Megamannt92 wrote: Why can we just input genres like on soundcloud?

because we are not soundcloud

lel

BBS Signature

Response to New Sub-Genre request pt. 2 2013-01-05 19:32:06

I'm glad you accept the consequences for finding out what happens when you recreate a locked thread.

If you really want to suggest new genres, send a PM to one of the Admins, we can't do anything about it. Last I checked though, they more or less feel the same way... we don't need a billion subgenres that few people have ever heard of.

If you don't think it fits in what we have, we have a Misc. section for you to post it in, and a tagging system for those that want to find it anyways.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature