samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 1/12/13 04:58 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Technically you have PeterSatera, deadlyfishes, BlazingDragon and bassfiddlejones to go past in terms of good music.

Oh you guys... I should just retire already! :3

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 12:13 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 12:09 PM, samulis wrote:
At 1/12/13 04:58 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: Technically you have PeterSatera, deadlyfishes, BlazingDragon and bassfiddlejones to go past in terms of good music.
Oh you guys... I should just retire already! :3

If I'm not mistaken, are you the gentleman that m0le mentioned he worked with previously? The one with epic skill on orchestra classical? If yes then nice to meet you and I wouldn't even dare to snatch the prize from your hands, sir.

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 12:13 PM, Elitistinen wrote: If I'm not mistaken, are you the gentleman that m0le mentioned he worked with previously? The one with epic skill on orchestra classical? If yes then nice to meet you and I wouldn't even dare to snatch the prize from your hands, sir.

Nah man, give it your best! I was lucky to have a boss like M0le to collab with on that. I don't even know if I will have inspiration or time to work on this. :/

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 11:47 AM, Elitistinen wrote: On the same boat as your, I have been trying out all kinds of genre I know of. I moved from industrial to heavy beat breakcore. However orchestra classical is what bugged me the most. I have always wanted to try out this genre then I tried and failed miserably because I just want something completely original. I think I'm crazy to start a song at 190 BMP for orchestra classical which I have completed over 3 minutes. Probably the hardest part of the whole project is to not make the some repetitive. =(

Yep...190 is really crazy. Funny, I thought the hardest part was to not do something repetitive too, but now I'm ending up doing a song with the predictable verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. The hard part is making that interesting and not repetitive so...boxed in? I dunno. I hope you stick with the classical. Classical is neat. Ou pas.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 09:29 PM Reply

What is the secret to winning this contest? Don't go through the motions. It's easy to create just another 'same old' song. But when you are able to overcome your weaknesses (procrastination & laziness for the most of you), you will be able to reveal your own personal victory -- a song which defines your highest level of achievement.

The world can wait. This is your time to do what your are meant to do. You must prove to everyone that you are the one who is able to overcome the petty weaknesses that everyone else falls victim to. You must submit your theme song, and it must truly be the greatest achievement of your musical endeavors.

Don't be like everyone else. Be victorious.

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 09:52 PM Reply

It's not because of procrastination but it's because I don't enough have time. Only insomnia set me free (right now) while my job took all the wonderful moment for music making. There is no server downtime this morning, which mean I have a few hours to write music before the next work shift.

At 1/13/13 04:15 PM, ZipZipper wrote:
Yep...190 is really crazy. Funny, I thought the hardest part was to not do something repetitive too, but now I'm ending up doing a song with the predictable verse-chorus-verse-chorus structure. The hard part is making that interesting and not repetitive so...boxed in? I dunno. I hope you stick with the classical. Classical is neat. Ou pas.

I stick with orchestra classical all the way. I set the song down 5 BPM. Been reading books and asking around about classical orchestration and its arrangement techniques/methods since the beginning of this contest. I was thinking on to return to make punchy techno or dubstep. Renoise had been lagging like there's no tomorrow. I expect epic people to shoot me off the shelf sooner or later. What does it take to pull off epic work?

Wish you best of luck friend!

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 13th, 2013 @ 11:05 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:29 PM, Bosa wrote: ...overcome your weaknesses (procrastination & laziness for the most of you)

Awww shucks... you know me so well...

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:52 PM, Elitistinen wrote: What does it take to pull off epic work?

Belief.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 01:25 AM Reply

At 1/14/13 12:06 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 1/13/13 09:52 PM, Elitistinen wrote: What does it take to pull off epic work?
Cowbell.

Fix't.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 03:29 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:29 PM, Bosa wrote: ...overcome procrastination & laziness...

Hmm, that's probably not going to happen. How many days can I procrastinate for? 20?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 05:44 AM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:29 PM, Bosa wrote: You must submit your theme song, and it must truly be the greatest achievement of your musical endeavors.

Programme notes coming under way for that piece, and I'll be addressing that point!

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 10:04 AM Reply

At 1/12/13 03:42 PM, stunkel wrote:
Nope, no, BD was only listing the sexy, good-looking, amazing people who are awesome and sexy and good-looking. :3 :P
But... I thought I was a sexy, good-looking person who is also sexy and good-looking :(

really?

also still waiting for my computer to be fixed.. that and I'm not really good with deadlines so me entering competitions has never been.. stellar.. I find it cramps the creative process.

I'm still technically retired from music making.. so I'm only a maybe.. if I can somehow drag everything back together - lost 7 years of work and my pc has been inoperational for a year :(

that and my headphones are broken.. so many low blows for me :(

Dreams of Splendor Discussion

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 04:11 PM Reply

I don't think I'm going to have time to do this now.
I've only just got my new computer up and running and I don't have all my software yet (the dvds for Komplete are at my gran's because I had to stay there for a few months last year).
We'll see, but as things are it's a "no". Sorry! :/

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 05:30 PM Reply

Anybody upload any WIPs for this yet? I'm curious!

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 06:42 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 04:11 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I don't think I'm going to have time to do this now.
I've only just got my new computer up and running and I don't have all my software yet (the dvds for Komplete are at my gran's because I had to stay there for a few months last year).
We'll see, but as things are it's a "no". Sorry! :/

I'm here as well. I'm in the middle of applying for college, finding a new place to live, working two jobs and doing a million other things that have kept me from writing something splendid. Hopefully something will change in the next few days and I'll be able to crank something out. But for now, it's a no-go for launch.

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

In this contest: Orchestrated and classical artists.

Well shit.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 07:06 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 06:56 PM, Envy wrote: In this contest: Orchestrated and classical artists.

Well shit.

But every genre is invited to the party! And just as a hint, my piece is not even going to be proper classical.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 08:51 PM Reply

At 1/14/13 06:56 PM, Envy wrote: In this contest: Orchestrated and classical artists.

Well shit.

Hey, I'm no orchestral/classical artist. My piece is going to have a ton of various genres in it.

Though the first and second parts are going to be mainly orchestral, I think...

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 09:43 PM Reply

Well shit.

Epic is by no means limited to an orchestra. Personally, I think a combination of classical/orchestral music and a little electronic music done well tend to be a great "formula" for epic music. Or, in your case maybe the other way around? A little strings never hurt anything :)

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:01 PM Reply

At 1/13/13 09:29 PM, Bosa wrote:

But when you are able to overcome your weaknesses (procrastination & laziness for the most of you), you will be able to reveal your own personal victory -- a song which defines your highest level of achievement.

The world can wait. This is your time to do what your are meant to do. You must prove to everyone that you are the one who is able to overcome the petty weaknesses that everyone else falls victim to. You must submit your theme song, and it must truly be the greatest achievement of your musical endeavors.

Your wants are pretty slim, huh Bosa.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 14th, 2013 @ 11:20 PM Reply

Well shit.

I'm a classical artist now? I was sure most people knew me for my metal.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 10:11 AM Reply

I must rework on another song, didn't see the part it has to be a personal theme song. Even when I bluffed about it's just for the fun, there is this super strong temptation of wanting myself to do good on this contest (I could have ignored and move on).

Anyone has good tips on writing a theme song?

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 10:27 AM Reply

At 1/15/13 10:11 AM, Elitistinen wrote: I must rework on another song, didn't see the part it has to be a personal theme song. Even when I bluffed about it's just for the fun, there is this super strong temptation of wanting myself to do good on this contest (I could have ignored and move on).

All I can say is this:

1) Have a recognisable melody (or something in the piece which would catch the listener over and over again, say a certain lick).
2) Let the piece scream INDIVIDUALITY. The piece must not be generic in nature, it must be something which YOU would see yourself giving your all to. The recognisable melody helps with the individuality of the piece, but also the general feel of it.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 01:53 PM Reply

I wouldn't say the track I'm working on now would be my personal "theme" song, but it does combines the elements that I'm good at. And I'm trying to give it my all to make it my best work yet but "theme" song? Nah.

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 02:32 PM Reply

Wow...my first victory was achieved, i started working on my submission on the 9th of January and i worked a few hours every day *.* .....i am proud to announce that Procrastination HAS BEEN BEATEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........so far...
On a related note i am pretty sure this is going to be in fact my best submission :D

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 03:15 PM Reply

At 1/15/13 01:53 PM, JJM121 wrote: I wouldn't say the track I'm working on now would be my personal "theme" song, but it does combines the elements that I'm good at. And I'm trying to give it my all to make it my best work yet but "theme" song? Nah.

That's kinda what I'm thinking about my piece too. It combines elements I'm good at, plus a little experimentation, but I don't think I'd truly peg it as my theme song. I mean, I guess it's all about pushing yourself anyways. A personal theme song would just make it all too easy, right?

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Dammit... I've started and scrapped like 5 different songs so far... Y NO GUD RITING?!

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 05:07 PM Reply

At 1/15/13 04:25 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Dammit... I've started and scrapped like 5 different songs so far... Y NO GUD RITING?!

Yeah, i'm kinda in the same situation.
I do have a preference for one of them, but it's too military sounding for this theme in my opinion.
Fuck inspiration !

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 05:47 PM Reply

At 1/15/13 10:11 AM, Elitistinen wrote: I must rework on another song, didn't see the part it has to be a personal theme song. Even when I bluffed about it's just for the fun, there is this super strong temptation of wanting myself to do good on this contest (I could have ignored and move on).

I REALLY hope it doesn't HAVE to be a theme song. Mine is going to be spectacular, but not a theme song...

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion Jan. 15th, 2013 @ 05:54 PM Reply

At 1/15/13 05:47 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Mine is going to be spectacular, but not a theme song...

Welp, guess you'll have to try the fuck again then