Be a Supporter!

Dreams of Splendor Discussion

  • 7,467 Views
  • 240 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:09:27 Reply

Please post any comments you have about the contest here. I will accept all trivial requests that you may have.


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:26:34 Reply

At 1/4/13 10:09 PM, Bosa wrote: Please post any comments you have about the contest here. I will accept all trivial requests that you may have.

Oh poop, this looks sweet! Better get my shit together, I wanna make up for missing up on last time!

Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:27:43 Reply

At 1/4/13 10:26 PM, camoshark wrote:
At 1/4/13 10:09 PM, Bosa wrote: Please post any comments you have about the contest here. I will accept all trivial requests that you may have.
Oh poop, this looks sweet! Better get my shit together, I wanna make up for missing up on last time!

Please do, sir! I look forward to your "GREATEST SONG EVER"


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:29:01 Reply

Before I forget..

Dreams of Splendor Contest

(just in case you guys lose the link to the contest thread)


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
deadlyfishes
deadlyfishes
  • Member since: May. 15, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:41:24 Reply

Do you want to specify track lengths? I mean, I'm sure people will understand what will make a good entry in terms of how long something is, but for your purposes you might want to avoid someone entering in with a 36 minute orchestral work or something.

I would totally do that if there were enough time :P

Anyways, just wondering, usually contest guidelines require minimum and maximum duration for entries.


<Professional Composer> <AudioJungle Reviewer>
OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!
Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 22:47:27 Reply

At 1/4/13 10:41 PM, deadlyfishes wrote: Do you want to specify track lengths? I mean, I'm sure people will understand what will make a good entry in terms of how long something is, but for your purposes you might want to avoid someone entering in with a 36 minute orchestral work or something.

I would totally do that if there were enough time :P

Anyways, just wondering, usually contest guidelines require minimum and maximum duration for entries.

Added the info to the contest thread.

You may submit a song with any type of length you want. I doubt there will be many 36 minute long tracks, but I would prefer that everyone submits something that is longer than 1:00


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 23:05:04 Reply

...I'm afraid of making a song under the peg of being my "greatest song ever" for I feel the scenario you depict requires a distinct genre feel, though you suggest we stick with the genre we're most comfortable with. I guess there's always the future that will probably hold another "greatest song ever"

I'm just a little hesitant on whether I should be myself or not. Regardless, I want to join this contest. I'm hoping to get farther than I did in the last journey Bosa planned, somehow I ended up in the swamps and was eaten by a gator...curse you and your treasure hunts!


BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 23:48:04 Reply

I've just ordered my new (beast of a) PC... Having the ability to work on a track and not worry about system resources any more might inspire me, and if it does I may consider what I write for this competition.
We'll see... I'm not one for competing against others but this seems more like a challenge against one's self rather than against others.
An interesting prospect and something I try to practice in every day life.


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 23:54:50 Reply

At 1/4/13 11:48 PM, MetalRenard wrote: We'll see... I'm not one for competing against others but this seems more like a challenge against one's self rather than against others.
An interesting prospect and something I try to practice in every day life.

That is exactly what I'm aiming for. It is more of an internal struggle to see who is able to reveal their potential the most. In order to win this contest, you must first conquer yourself.


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 23:56:31 Reply

Oh, by the way, is it OK to produce covers/rearrangements/remixes for this competition? If so I might enter twice, if that's also possible.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-04 23:58:48 Reply

I just fixed up my computer and can begin making music again, so I might try my hand at this. The competition is already looking insane, but I can at least try.

Thanks for putting this together Bosa. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Member since: May. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 01:57:37 Reply

Definatly going to take part in that one, too. And this time, i'll make it to the top 4 !

just how many times did i say that without succeeding ?

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 06:59:30 Reply

Last time, for the Quest for the Crown contest, I thought I wouldn't have time to make something, but I made something. This time I really don't think I'm going to have time to make something, but hey, miracles can happen twice.

Just wanted to say to Bosa that it's really awesome that you're organising these competitions; they're fun!


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 10:43:53 Reply

First of all thanks Bosa without this contest this would be an empty january on NG!
So from what i can understand this is kind of a NGADM with one round only right?
Oh im in by the way...and im getting my ass kicked again also xD


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 13:34:58 Reply

Count me in. I will forge a masterpiece of epic proportions.

Either that or fail miserably.

AJtheRipper
AJtheRipper
  • Member since: Aug. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 18:49:56 Reply

I will try my best! This will be my first entry in any contest, now that I finished my setup to record at home! I hope I'm not the only metalhead here.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 19:27:15 Reply

I'm pretty sure I've got a working theme for my piece already. I'm super excited about this one.

Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 20:47:25 Reply

Just an update..

First place will receive $100


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-05 21:26:56 Reply

At 1/5/13 01:34 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: Count me in. I will forge a masterpiece of epic proportions.

Either that or fail miserably.

This time, it's on.


AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Member since: Sep. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 12:21:05 Reply

Am I allowed to ask someone else to sing if I write the melodies and lyrics? I -can- sing myself, I just don't have a quality mic or a decent place to sing without bothering my neighbours. If I know someone can hear me I'm not going to sing to my full potential...


Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 12:54:36 Reply

At 1/6/13 12:21 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Am I allowed to ask someone else to sing if I write the melodies and lyrics? I -can- sing myself, I just don't have a quality mic or a decent place to sing without bothering my neighbours. If I know someone can hear me I'm not going to sing to my full potential...

You may. If you win, then you must tell me how you want the reward split. Collaborations will also be accepted, but again let me know how you want the prize split.


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Member since: Nov. 5, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 13:24:44 Reply

At 1/5/13 09:26 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
This time, it's on.

Aw yeah it is.

I'm pretty darn excited about this one.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 21:33:23 Reply

At 1/6/13 01:24 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote:
At 1/5/13 09:26 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
This time, it's on.
Aw yeah it is.

I'm pretty darn excited about this one.

It's going to be yellow-and-white against yellow-and-white; I will willingly count out the rest.


AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 22:31:07 Reply

Question: What are the aspects that will be judged? Are they approximately the same as the last time or no?


Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 23:01:25 Reply

At 1/6/13 10:31 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Question: What are the aspects that will be judged? Are they approximately the same as the last time or no?

Somewhat. But since this isn't strictly a classical contest like the last one, a couple of categories have been changed. I will judge on the following aspects of your submissions:

1) Novelty/Originality

2) Sound Quality/Mastering

3) Emotion/Immersion

4) Instruments/Programs' Quality

5) Writing/Sequencing


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Member since: Feb. 2, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-06 23:41:08 Reply

At 1/6/13 11:01 PM, Bosa wrote:
At 1/6/13 10:31 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Question: What are the aspects that will be judged? Are they approximately the same as the last time or no?
Somewhat. But since this isn't strictly a classical contest like the last one, a couple of categories have been changed. I will judge on the following aspects of your submissions:

1) Novelty/Originality

2) Sound Quality/Mastering

3) Emotion/Immersion

4) Instruments/Programs' Quality

5) Writing/Sequencing

Alright. Thanks for the check. Doesn't change what I'll be submitting in any major way, but it does tell me what I might need to push harder on.


Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-07 00:03:22 Reply

Ok... it's official... I'm going to try to come up with something for this... I've been wanting to make a "Me song" for a long time anyways.

I promise nothing.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Member since: Dec. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-08 11:27:12 Reply

Can I remix/reuse elements from old prod/song? I have a song used in Assembly 09 entry that has interesting element which I really want to reconstruct.

stunkel
stunkel
  • Member since: Jul. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-08 14:18:48 Reply

When we finish the song, should we put a certain tag, or post it in a forum post?


Check out my pages!
Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Bosa
Bosa
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Dreams of Splendor Discussion 2013-01-08 21:00:43 Reply

At 1/8/13 02:18 PM, stunkel wrote: When we finish the song, should we put a certain tag, or post it in a forum post?

AH YES! I almost forgot.. If you can, please put in the author comments of your submission that it is part of the "Dreams of Splendor" contest by Bosa.

At 1/8/13 11:27 AM, Elitistinen wrote: Can I remix/reuse elements from old prod/song? I have a song used in Assembly 09 entry that has interesting element which I really want to reconstruct.

You can as long as it wasn't submitted to Newgrounds in the past. I would prefer you come up with something completely original, but it is up to you.


Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature