New Topic Respond to this Topic
juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 01:28 AM Reply

So I'm still trying to find that audience who likes my type of art. I also post my artwork on deviantart but it recently got taken over by "ponies" :x . Anyway who do you think would like my art? age group? do you like it?

What audience would like my art?

Don't Click
Personal Website

27Djinns
27Djinns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 02:51 AM Reply

1) I like it.
2) Looks like video game concept art: something dark, dungeony, and icky.
3) I think people who like dragons n' magic fantasy stories would like your art.
4) ???
5) PROFIT!
6) Good luck :)

fersteger
fersteger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 03:18 AM Reply

Yeah, games also tattoos, that looks like a tattoo sketch that someone would then use to do the tattooing of the person, I think.

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

Thank you guys for your input! I am trying to lean towards the tattoo look, that's cool that you caught that! As I needed to see what people thought when they take a look at it. I really do appreciate your thoughts. It's hard enough spreading it out there.

Don't Click
Personal Website

Migashi
Migashi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 03:47 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 03:26 AM, juturnal wrote: Thank you guys for your input! I am trying to lean towards the tattoo look, that's cool that you caught that! As I needed to see what people thought when they take a look at it. I really do appreciate your thoughts. It's hard enough spreading it out there.

I could see that as a poster someone who was a psychedelic drug user would buy. Where I live, we have a fairly big biker scene; it definitely looks like something you'd see as body art at a burnout bar.

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 05:31 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 01:28 AM, juturnal wrote: So I'm still trying to find that audience who likes my type of art. I also post my artwork on deviantart but it recently got taken over by "ponies" :x . Anyway who do you think would like my art? age group? do you like it?

This is an odd topic. To me, this is coming across as a person who wants to tailor their artwork to a demographic and get people to like it, rather than to seek your own identity and focus your energies on improving that instead.

It's up to you. If you're doing art recreationally, then it doesn't matter what other people's opinions are. if you plan on using your skills as a career, it's up to you to decide what kind of design work you're after.

BBS Signature
Pirakaboss
Pirakaboss
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 06:14 AM Reply

Since it's just a sketch, I didn't really get it initially. Then, it sunk into my mind. The texture added is great! I cannot really state what "audience" would appreciate your art. Actually it can also be determined by your use of colors, shading, and highlighting. Bright colors and less shading make it tween-ish, while dark colors using watercolor and pastel mediums can elevate your desired age range. Though age is not the only type of audience. You can also have this set for people with different cultures and whatnot. I, personally, have never actually considered which group or class of people will view my work. I just choose something I like to draw and take it from there. As one of my good friends used to say, "Do what you love and the success with everything else will follow". Forcing yourself to draw something for people will bring you great difficulty.

BBS Signature
juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 06:20 AM Reply

Searching for a demographic would help me improve because there are different types of people (age group, scifi lovers etc.). who don't know what biomechanical is. The fact that one person recognized it as a tattoo sketch means I'm heading in the right direction since that's my intention. I do art both recreational and career-wise. I had a client who wanted me to do some cartoon urban stuff for a certain age group and I would ask friends and family members the same question, "does this look like its for teenagers? Is it appropriate?". Knowing demographics would help.

Don't Click
Personal Website

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 06:35 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 06:20 AM, juturnal wrote: The fact that one person recognized it as a tattoo sketch means I'm heading in the right direction since that's my intention.

I don't know about what your intentions were at the start of this thread, but it's odd to quiz users and hope they give you the answer you want. The poster following the tatoo response said it looks like psychedelic poster art, and you'll get half a dozen unique answers after that. It'd be easier to say, "do my designs look like they could be used for a tatoo? And if not, how come?"

I do art both recreational and career-wise. I had a client who wanted me to do some cartoon urban stuff for a certain age group and I would ask friends and family members the same question, "does this look like its for teenagers? Is it appropriate?". Knowing demographics would help.

Yes, but that is for a particular design where in the brief you've been asked to design for a teenage audience or thereabouts. To wave your hand vaguely over your other submissions and say, "who's this for" is working the other way round.

BBS Signature
fersteger
fersteger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 02:52 PM Reply

Yeah man, nothing wrong with seeing what people think of your work. I do art professionally and in that world it's ALL about what someone else, specifically a non-artist suit type, thinks of your work. Unless you swing some great gig where you get to draw your own stuff and convince people to buy it.

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 10:47 PM Reply

At 1/4/13 02:52 PM, fersteger wrote: Yeah man, nothing wrong with seeing what people think of your work. I do art professionally and in that world it's ALL about what someone else, specifically a non-artist suit type, thinks of your work. Unless you swing some great gig where you get to draw your own stuff and convince people to buy it.

Very true, also it's hard for me to find local galleries who would take my type of art which is why I ask for audience/demographic. Many galleries here take traditional art like still life's, landscape and portraits. If I know the right audience I can search for a gallery looking for that type of audience easier.

Don't Click
Personal Website

Ozbourne
Ozbourne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 11:48 PM Reply

I think your stuff has a very "Lovecraft" feel to it, and the pencil/charcoal feel of it seems to really agree with that as well.

JT

"I do like taking stuff seriously that a lot of people look at as nonsense. I enjoy the insanity of that. And I like the commitment that is needed for that." Christian Bale

Haris
Haris
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 08:19 AM Reply

Sci-fi fans would like it most in my opinion.

BeckyRawr
BeckyRawr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 11:20 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 08:19 AM, Kuhki wrote: Sci-fi fans would like it most in my opinion.

I agree! sci-fi fans and maybe fantasy. I'm a huge fan of both and I like your art.

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 10:27 PM Reply

Ok, I've written down all of what you guys suggested. This will really help me explain to people what kind of art I do and I can definitely search for some galleries that would take my stuff!

Don't Click
Personal Website

JLCL01
JLCL01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 09:34 PM Reply

While I can tell how this a would like like a tattoo sketch, it also reminds me of a album cover for a (power) metal band.

I really like the ammount of detail that you included.

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 12:49 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 01:28 AM, juturnal wrote: So I'm still trying to find that audience who likes my type of art. I also post my artwork on deviantart but it recently got taken over by "ponies" :x . Anyway who do you think would like my art? age group? do you like it?

I understand the issue at Deviantart, there's little regulation for what's posted.
Your sketch looks like bio-mechanics and these are a trend in tattooing. Men of wide ranged age will appreciate this as a tattoo concept, as would some women.

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 01:57 AM Reply

Awesome! and yeah Newgrounds and DeviantArt are two WAY different communities.

Don't Click
Personal Website

JLCL01
JLCL01
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to What audience would like my art? Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 07:56 AM Reply

At 1/7/13 01:57 AM, juturnal wrote: Awesome! and yeah Newgrounds and DeviantArt are two WAY different communities.

Indeed.

I wish I could talk more about this but, I don't know, I don't want to go off-topic.

Then again, I remember one guy saying that that's how topics thrive or something.