Be a Supporter!
GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
New Artist Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 12:36 AM Reply

Hey everyone, my name is Andrew. I just got my first tablet 6 hours ago, and I've been trying to get used to it non-stop. It's starting to get easier, and my art has improved quit a bit, (at least I think so,) in the past 6 hours. I haven't focused on real art for a few years now, but I want to get back into it and eventually move on to animation. I was just hoping people could take a look at the few pieces on my page that I made today and tell me how I can improve. I'm going update my pieces and post new ones frequently (I hope), so please give me all the criticism that you can; good or bad I can take it. :D

GumDisease A.K.A. Rakurin

juturnal
juturnal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to New Artist Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 01:18 AM Reply

Welcome to NG! I took a look at your background art of the trees. The strokes and stuff etc is fine, you'll get better with practice. I would like to note that you are painting digitally, meaning you have a limitless choice of colors! It's all about colors and I would suggest using different shades of value for the greens. different tones/shades or changing opacity would really help add more form to it. Hope that helps!
-Al

Don't Click
Personal Website

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 11:23 PM Reply

I've just been sketching a little bit. I'm going to try clean up my work but I end up drawing every line over 20 times.
Anyways here's some of my stuff.

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 11:50 PM Reply

Wanted to try and sketch something a bit more serious out. Head is the worst part about it but i'll figure it out one day.

New Artist

fersteger
fersteger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to New Artist Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 11:53 PM Reply

That's a good start! What program are you drawing in? You should try some color work too why not.

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 12:00 AM Reply

At 1/6/13 11:53 PM, fersteger wrote: That's a good start! What program are you drawing in? You should try some color work too why not.

Photoshop right now. I don't know how to use color properly yet but on my page I have a background where I tried to start using it, as well as a sketch of my dog. File sizes are too big to post here tho. :/

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to New Artist Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 01:18 AM Reply

At 1/4/13 12:36 AM, GumDisease wrote: Hey everyone, my name is Andrew. I just got my first tablet 6 hours ago, and I've been trying to get used to it non-stop. It's starting to get easier, and my art has improved quit a bit, (at least I think so,) in the past 6 hours. I haven't focused on real art for a few years now, but I want to get back into it and eventually move on to animation. I was just hoping people could take a look at the few pieces on my page that I made today and tell me how I can improve. I'm going update my pieces and post new ones frequently (I hope), so please give me all the criticism that you can; good or bad I can take it. :D

Welcome Andrew, the world of art is addicting and I'm glad you've decided to take part.
I've looked at your work and I think you're on the right track, putting plenty of time into sketch at least once a day. I used to draw only digitally, when I began tattooing I had to step back from the tablet and learn about drawing traditionally. Using rulers, drafting, concept sketches, and most importantly composition. Personally my style leans towards blended unsaturated tones conceptual so I'm also studying colors intensely right now.

Some books I own and treasure would be "Confident Color" by Nita Leland.. This book will explain the basic fundamentals to you, include tips on creating palettes, teach you how to record colors and tap into them strategically for your work. "Figure Drawing Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton. This book is essential for me, it doesn't step-by-step tell you what to do, it explains how to do it. I felt so strongly about this book I created a video review you can watch here and it goes in depth about why I insist any artist get this book. Looking it up I see someone listing it $170.00 but go to any Barnes & Noble, they will order to store for you and when I bought mine it was fairly cheap. I have "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblet on my wishlist because I've used the book before it's full of reference and meant just for artists so the images are dynamic and high quality. "Your Artist's Brain" by Carl Purcell was the first book I ever bought when I got serious about improving. This book is step one, it will break down where you should start when drawing anything.

WOW sorry for my huge wall of text, I just love helping especially with resources. Speaking of resources, always always use resources! Never copy composition directly, but when trying to communicate a specific idea you want it clear what you're depicting. I keep multiple sketch books, one for pure ideas and one for study sketches.

Complete digital painting tutorial is displayed using GIMP (a free paint program like Photoshop) but the techniques for the loose painting is the best part and can be utilized in most advanced art programs.

Hope some of this helps and I wish you luck!

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 06:43 PM Reply

At 1/7/13 01:18 AM, ChildSafetyLid wrote: Hope some of this helps and I wish you luck!

Thank you this is all very helpful. I'm going to head to a book store later in the week and see what they have. Might order Confident Color right now actually.

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 02:14 PM Reply

It's my 19th birthday!

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 12:02 AM Reply

New Piece!
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/gumdisease/tentacles
I haven't been really working on my art seriously. A couple crappy sketches here and there. Nothing worthy of posting. But tonight I decided to work on my clean up lines, as well as using color (my mortal enemy!)

Please give me whatever criticism you can, it will always be appreciated.

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to New Artist Jan. 19th, 2013 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 1/19/13 12:02 AM, GumDisease wrote: New Piece!
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/gumdisease/tentacles
I haven't been really working on my art seriously. A couple crappy sketches here and there. Nothing worthy of posting. But tonight I decided to work on my clean up lines, as well as using color (my mortal enemy!)

Please give me whatever criticism you can, it will always be appreciated.

My critique would be the word "life".
Use life to fuel your creation, you have creative original ideas but you want to translate them properly. Harnessing real life rules and breaking them methodically proves impacting. You want to relate to people then take them on a journey. This doesn't mean creating some complicated image, I've learned through time that's not the absolute answer. People actually appreciate "simple" such as your tentacles more than my complicated character designs. You must also understand depth, pushing values, dark versus light.

Look up "basic rules about art composition", "gesture drawing", and begin studying shapes... I mean basic shapes. When you see an object break it down into shapes and shading rather than "This is an object" consider space and relation of objects within that space.

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 21st, 2013 @ 09:26 PM Reply

Meh.

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

New Character Concept. More color work.

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:46 AM Reply

Cleaning up my lines a lot more. Preview of coming picture.

New Artist

ChildSafetyLid
ChildSafetyLid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to New Artist Jan. 23rd, 2013 @ 11:30 AM Reply

At 1/23/13 01:46 AM, GumDisease wrote: Cleaning up my lines a lot more. Preview of coming picture.

Aha that's freaking cool man! I am already noticing the increased patience you're taking with your pieces. Keep it up mate, make us proud. :D

RogueSoul
RogueSoul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to New Artist Jan. 26th, 2013 @ 08:17 AM Reply

The megaman drawing was quite good, why dont you go back to that one and clean it up/color it? just flat colors and a maybe a little shading. You know, for practice

nope, no sig.

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 01:31 PM Reply

UPDATIN'

I haven't been drawing a lot recently, some doodles here and there with friends. But I lost power last night and really wanted to draw, so as soon as i came back on I worked on this.
It's just a recreation of another picture, but i thought it would help me get back into things; as well as practicing the character for a contest I'm going to enter.

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Feb. 9th, 2013 @ 07:06 PM Reply

At 1/26/13 08:17 AM, RogueSoul wrote: The megaman drawing was quite good, why dont you go back to that one and clean it up/color it? just flat colors and a maybe a little shading. You know, for practice

Took your advice, got the line work down today, will color either tonight or tomorrow.

New Artist

GumDisease
GumDisease
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to New Artist Feb. 14th, 2013 @ 06:44 PM Reply

I hope everyone is surviving their Valentines Day. I've slept through mine because I gave out my valentine and she excepted, so I was like "Oh god, really? Uhm... I don't know what to do now... I'm gunna go hide in my bed." So yea...

I was recently added to the Art Portal and that's exciting! The first thing up there under sponsorship is my Valentine, and It's getting a better grade then I thought it would. So thanks everyone who has been giving me advice on here. I take it all to heart and, I at least feel, like I'm improving.

A Single Rose