00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drumline Help Needed

1,087 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 00:36:19

Hello there. I'm a music composer and what not. I'm proud of my learning curve, but i really need to work on writing a more interesting drum pattern and drum rolls (toms). I know how to keep it simple, but I find it hard to write an energetic/interesting drumline. Any advice? (or should i stop listening to Dream Theater? /sarcasm *shot* )

Boy, IT Sure is BOring AroUnd

Here. Lets GO Shoot SUmething

Response to Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 01:15:11

Or maybe you're not listening to enough Dream Theater.

Seriously though, what I do to come up with more interesting drum parts is I start with something simple, like a kick, snare, kick, snare... completely generic, and I'll start adding things, and moving things around, more or less randomly, give it a listen, then as I'm listening, I'll generally figure out what I do and don't like, and tweak from there.

No real set in stone method, sure, but experimenting is really the easiest way to come up with just about anything when it comes to music. If you don't know what you're going for, just start hitting things randomly, and sooner or later, you'll stumble upon a sequence of notes/hits that just sounds good.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 01:23:04

At 1/4/13 01:15 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Or maybe you're not listening to enough Dream Theater.

Seriously though, what I do to come up with more interesting drum parts is I start with something simple, like a kick, snare, kick, snare... completely generic, and I'll start adding things, and moving things around, more or less randomly, give it a listen, then as I'm listening, I'll generally figure out what I do and don't like, and tweak from there.

No real set in stone method, sure, but experimenting is really the easiest way to come up with just about anything when it comes to music. If you don't know what you're going for, just start hitting things randomly, and sooner or later, you'll stumble upon a sequence of notes/hits that just sounds good.

Alright, i guess i just have to keep at hittin' buttons.
I guess exprience would dictate better sounding drumlines.

But man, Toms man, i wants to use them toms! >.<

Response to Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 01:29:44

At 1/4/13 01:23 AM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: But man, Toms man, i wants to use them toms! >.<

On that note, what are you using for your drums? Soundfonts? A VST?

And what kind of music are you writing these drum parts to? I could give you a bunch of tips and tricks that I use, but they're mostly oriented for metal drum beats.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 02:06:15

At 1/4/13 01:29 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 1/4/13 01:23 AM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: But man, Toms man, i wants to use them toms! >.<
On that note, what are you using for your drums? Soundfonts? A VST?

And what kind of music are you writing these drum parts to? I could give you a bunch of tips and tricks that I use, but they're mostly oriented for metal drum beats.

I use VSTs. And i write many kinds of music, but mostly in the Progressive Sub-genre. I could use some Metal tips too. Thank you. :)

Response to Drumline Help Needed 2013-01-04 11:43:39

What I do is I think of each drum as its own individual line. I'll start with the kick, then the snare, then the hats and maybe the toms/cymbals. Then I listen to them together and usually I'll have an interesting pattern.

Otherwise, if you already have melodic material written think about the stress of each beat. Most of the time the kick and snare determine the stress while the other instruments are used to fill the space between.