New Topic Respond to this Topic
ssnovacain
ssnovacain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:21:29 Reply

Ive got the old original fat 40 gb ps3 that ive had for about 4 years now. here a few days ago i was in the middle of playing far cry 3 when it shut off and beeped 3 times and flashed the dreaded yellow light. unfortunately that's just my luck considering how good i take care of my PS3 and don't leave it running all the time. i got my disc out and called Sony and its shipped off for repair. Any of you guys ever got the YLOD and if so did you repair it yourself, send it to Sony, or buy a new one?

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Melancholy
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:25:49 Reply

This should be in the video game forum.

Anyways, I got the blinking red light and shipped it to Gophermods cos Sony won't restore your save data. They told me the motherboard was fried, so they couldn't fix it.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature
HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:26:44 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:21 PM, ssnovacain wrote: Ive got the old original fat 40 gb ps3 that ive had for about 4 years now. here a few days ago i was in the middle of playing far cry 3 when it shut off and beeped 3 times and flashed the dreaded yellow light. unfortunately that's just my luck considering how good i take care of my PS3 and don't leave it running all the time. i got my disc out and called Sony and its shipped off for repair. Any of you guys ever got the YLOD and if so did you repair it yourself, send it to Sony, or buy a new one?

just use a newer one. I remember I had the same sort of problem with LA Noire but I didn't get any death signs.

Or probably something internally overheated.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
GACBassPlayer
GACBassPlayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Melancholy
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:28:30 Reply

my original release 40 gig got the ylod in june. i backed up all my data and did a full hdd restore. system was stable for about 2 weeks before i got ylod again, so i bought a slim in august.
as far as i understand it, you can do a re-flow of the solder points on the mobo with a heat gun, but the problem will keep showing up with increasing frequency.

ssnovacain
ssnovacain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:29:20 Reply

also i was just about to upgrade the thing with a 500 GB hard drive but then this happened and i have still yet to get to play the Mass Effect Trilogy i got for Christmas. And never send Sony your ps3 with the uprgraded hd, they wont send you back the same one. my original one is still in there and thankfully i backed up all my stuff on an external hard drive a few days before. phew..

ssnovacain
ssnovacain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:32:09 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:25 PM, jjjkuk wrote: This should be in the video game forum.

Anyways, I got the blinking red light and shipped it to Gophermods cos Sony won't restore your save data. They told me the motherboard was fried, so they couldn't fix it.

yea my bad man im new to newgrounds lol. im still learning and yea thankfully i backed up all my stuff on a external hard drive a few days before so im gonna put it all back on there when it gets back.

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:48:37 Reply

My friend got some kind of weird error that apparently was the equivalent of that, but you could still do anything but play video games.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:50:07 Reply

I had my 360 for 7 years, it had 13 red rings of death, and finally stopped working about June last year. I've got a newer model, and I haven't had any problems from it since.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:51:17 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:50 PM, Xenomit wrote: I had my 360 for 7 years, it had 13 red rings of death, and finally stopped working about June last year. I've got a newer model, and I haven't had any problems from it since.

Jesus, man. How'd you keep it working so long? I did a couple of cheap fixes on my old one before I gave up on it and just got a PS3 instead.

KillerSkull
KillerSkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:51:43 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:50 PM, Xenomit wrote: I had my 360 for 7 years, it had 13 red rings of death, and finally stopped working about June last year. I've got a newer model, and I haven't had any problems from it since.

Look who has to be different.

Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-03 23:57:15 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:51 PM, Convey wrote: Jesus, man. How'd you keep it working so long? I did a couple of cheap fixes on my old one before I gave up on it and just got a PS3 instead.

Luck mostly. 4 of the rings were from overheating, 3 of the rings were from accedentaly bumping the cables out of the port, and the rest were software errors that I never figured out. The very last thing I ever saw on it was a black screen that had "Error blah blah blah contact us here" in 50 different languages.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
RyderOmega
RyderOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Filmmaker
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-04 00:07:42 Reply

My PS3 (the original 60 gig one) got the ylod about a year ago. I called sony up to see if they would fix it, but remembered that PS3's only have one year warranty, so that was a no-go. I eventually found somebody online who was able to fix it for about thirty bucks. If you still have the problem, then I'd say just take it to a local system repair shop, or look for one online. I had to travel two cities to get to the guy, but it was well worth it.

Come to think of it, I haven't fixed my Xbox 360 Elite. It's had the E74 error for about three years. Probably because I spend most of my time on the PS3 instead.

PSN:Ryder-Omega/Steam:Ryder Omega

I'm that lazy bastard who doesn't bother to take down his damn Christmas lights. I still have the fucking kriss-kringle hats from last year!

BBS Signature
ssnovacain
ssnovacain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-04 00:12:39 Reply

At 1/3/13 11:57 PM, Xenomit wrote:
At 1/3/13 11:51 PM, Convey wrote: Jesus, man. How'd you keep it working so long? I did a couple of cheap fixes on my old one before I gave up on it and just got a PS3 instead.
Luck mostly. 4 of the rings were from overheating, 3 of the rings were from accedentaly bumping the cables out of the port, and the rest were software errors that I never figured out. The very last thing I ever saw on it was a black screen that had "Error blah blah blah contact us here" in 50 different languages.

Ive heard the original batches of the first ps3's were just bad which is probably what mine is. I sent this thing in about a year and a half ago because it stopped reading my disc. ive heard of cases where the were out of the same model as the person sent them and they just sent them a new slim. i wish they would do that to me lol.

Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-04 00:18:37 Reply

At 1/4/13 12:12 AM, ssnovacain wrote: Ive heard the original batches of the first ps3's were just bad which is probably what mine is. I sent this thing in about a year and a half ago because it stopped reading my disc. ive heard of cases where the were out of the same model as the person sent them and they just sent them a new slim. i wish they would do that to me lol.

The original launches of both the PS3 and 360 were riddled with bugs and hardware issues. What's worse is how much they were charging originally for the PS3 at the time but that's an entirely different subject. I think I have the slim model of the PS3 now, which hasn't given me any issues at all and I usually fall asleep watching netflix and end up leaving it on for hours at a time. I should probably stop doing that...

ssnovacain
ssnovacain
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Ylod Ps3 (yellow Light Of Death) 2013-01-04 00:40:29 Reply

At 1/4/13 12:18 AM, Convey wrote:
At 1/4/13 12:12 AM, ssnovacain wrote: Ive heard the original batches of the first ps3's were just bad which is probably what mine is. I sent this thing in about a year and a half ago because it stopped reading my disc. ive heard of cases where the were out of the same model as the person sent them and they just sent them a new slim. i wish they would do that to me lol.
The original launches of both the PS3 and 360 were riddled with bugs and hardware issues. What's worse is how much they were charging originally for the PS3 at the time but that's an entirely different subject. I think I have the slim model of the PS3 now, which hasn't given me any issues at all and I usually fall asleep watching netflix and end up leaving it on for hours at a time. I should probably stop doing that...

haha yea man i would freak about that if it was me i would be like "oh no my baby, shes gonna overheat and ohhhhh no " lol im sorta on the ocd side. i will sit and make sure a damn wire is plugged in right for an hour lol