Be a Supporter!

Advice about online music classes?

  • 315 Views
  • 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
ectsoman
ectsoman
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Advice about online music classes? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:49 PM Reply

I've been doing some research into Berklee's online classes and have been seriously considering enrolling for Studio Production followed up with management. I've never had any formal teaching when it comes to music, Its all been a slow progress of fiddling with knobs and effects and learning by doing.

I was hoping to get a job shortly after I finished doing the studio production classes, as I live right near seattle and then I would either go back for management or possibly music production classes, but I'm not sure if I should get the music production before I do studio production or if it would matter, which I'm pretty sure it would.

Any one have any tips or advice before I go tossing cash around on the internets?


BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 11
Musician
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 12:04 AM Reply

All depends on where you want your income to come from in the music industry. Studio work positions like mixing engineer, recording engineer, assistant engineer, etc...are pretty scarce anywhere except larger studios...and you know what they look for when hiring? Certainly not what fuckin degree you have or what classes you've taken. The music industry aside from the legal side is mostly portfolio based. Meaning its more about who you know and what you've worked on/with before.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard people with bachelors or any kind of degree what so ever in studio related studies tell me it was the most useless degree ever. Sure, you will learn some cool shit, but nothing that making music and recording and studying on your own you wont teach you save for some expensive gear knowledge.

The difference? When learning while creating and studying yourself, you are doing REAL projects, building REAL clients, and a REAL portfolio that will ultimately serve much more use into getting a good position.

Berklee online is fucking awesome, but I think music production classes that help you create superior products on your own would be a much smarter choice.

Wilhiemthe2nd
Wilhiemthe2nd
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 12:21 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 09:49 PM, ectsoman wrote: I've been doing some research into Berklee's online classes and have been seriously considering enrolling for Studio Production followed up with management. I've never had any formal teaching when it comes to music, Its all been a slow progress of fiddling with knobs and effects and learning by doing.

I was hoping to get a job shortly after I finished doing the studio production classes, as I live right near seattle and then I would either go back for management or possibly music production classes, but I'm not sure if I should get the music production before I do studio production or if it would matter, which I'm pretty sure it would.

Any one have any tips or advice before I go tossing cash around on the internets?

Research, Research, Research.
Online class generally do not live up to the quality of Physically being there classes.
I do not know what the college environment is like, so bear with me here.
If you absolutely insist on doing an online course/absolutely cannot afford to go to the college yourself, then think about this.

You plan on learning something, at home. On a computer. Which also has the potential of distracting you. with things.
Do you have the power of self-control and determination, to learn how a chord works. Instead of thinking how many kills you can get in that fancy new game? Think about it, your greatest enemy in an online class is yourself. YOU are the reason why your money is wasted.

If the quality and the safety of an online class is the problem, well, it IS Berklee, so you wouldn't have too much trouble. But keep in mind Online Classes are a relatively new thing.
Your mileage may vary.

If you are in a financial situation, where you cannot feasibly attend Berklee itself, then yes, i'd think the online courses are a good idea.

Personally, I started learning what i know in the beginning of 2012. I was a Sophomore in highschool at the time. I had friends out of state and talked to them over skype about me wanting to do music and composition. I got lucky, two of them are well versed in that and i got free lessons from them. GOOD TIMES!
Now, i would offer you lessons for free to pass on the gift, but i'm not the best teacher, and i'm waiting for the delivery of my hard copy of my music program. Only with that can i export MIDI, which would help tremendously with lessons.

Last Word: You will be SO terrible at this. You wouldn't believe how bad you are at writing. Almost everything you make will sound bad... for 3-5 months. Learning how to write music is like learning how to play any other musical instrument x2. It will take a lot of your time. Jordan Rudess played Piano Diligently as a prodigy ever since he was 3. Look him up on youtube, and you can see he would melt faces with the press of 1(00) buttons.

You wont start like Jordan Rudess the face melter. You will start as 3 year old Jordan Rudess, who is about to learn his first song. Probably Chopsticks.

Take heart in the fact that your music will grow! It will eventually mold into you, and become a great outlet for your creativity and emotion. (There is a reason why sad music exists)

Best of luck to you good sir. I hope everything goes well, and i hope to hear your music soon~.


Boy, IT Sure is BOring AroUnd
Here. Lets GO Shoot SUmething

Wilhiemthe2nd
Wilhiemthe2nd
  • Member since: Jan. 2, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 12:24 AM Reply

Backing up a bit, and first of all- *facepalms*

Sorry, i misunderstood what class you ment. sorry for the brain fart!

Well, for something like that, i'd imagine something hands on would be better. So, i'd try to go for the physically being there class.

Sorry for the epic speech! (And double post >.< )


Boy, IT Sure is BOring AroUnd
Here. Lets GO Shoot SUmething

ectsoman
ectsoman
  • Member since: Feb. 25, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 05:12 PM Reply

At 1/4/13 12:24 AM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: Backing up a bit, and first of all- *facepalms*

Sorry, i misunderstood what class you ment. sorry for the brain fart!

Well, for something like that, i'd imagine something hands on would be better. So, i'd try to go for the physically being there class.

Sorry for the epic speech! (And double post >.< )

Unfortunately I can't do any physical classes. I have no drivers license and I live on an island 30 minutes out from seatle. It costs me 25 dollars just to get on the island even though I can leave for free and I can't afford to pay 25 bucks every day to go to classes, so online is really my only option right.

And I know that I'm not going to just jump into music composition knowing what I'm doing, fuck... I've been making music for about 5-6 years now and most of it still sounds generic and bad but I've noticed the quality slowly getting better. I've also noticed that I have more fun and get more involved in the mastery and production techniques, rather than the composition, which brought up the question, Production or Composition first?

Though I think now I might actually turn my first classes towards something that will make me money directly after walking out of classes, like Music Business and management, that way I can fund any further classes while at the same time gleaning knowledge from the people I'll meet and work with along the way.


BBS Signature
AndretheXLR8R
AndretheXLR8R
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 11:34 PM Reply

Hey Ectso, how old are you?

Ive done a lot of research and am planning on going through some training this year. I can tell you that the most work you will get in the audio world is in production. There is much more demand for this than being a producer or composer. Film/tv studios need multiple techs, live concert events, etc. The good thing is, its very much the same kind of science as far as the technology goes. I'd say if you want a job learn production first. Composition can take a very long time and that can come second and will sound a lot better once you know how to record, mix, and master. Or you can study composition/theory in your spare time.

If you want to work in the audio world its good to have a strong foundation (production tech skills) as well as creativity to steer you toward what branch of the audio world you can hopefully one day choose to be in.

Check out this website https://www.coursera.org/courses which has free courses, an intro to music production course starts march 1st. Theres also a songwriting course starting march 1st.

Ideally though, you need to be working/learning in a studio or at a music venue. Real experience will open so many doors and connections. I know you are on an island but you might want to walk into various music venues or studios and say you will intern or work for them. Or get yourself off the island, if you cant right now, then save up enough money and get a day job to live elsewhere. Recording school is an option but will costs you around 40K or more and you may have to take out a loan.

So if you really want to do this you should immerse yourself into the audio world and get connected!

rant complete

At 1/4/13 05:12 PM, ectsoman wrote:
At 1/4/13 12:24 AM, Wilhiemthe2nd wrote: Backing up a bit, and first of all- *facepalms*

Sorry, i misunderstood what class you ment. sorry for the brain fart!

Well, for something like that, i'd imagine something hands on would be better. So, i'd try to go for the physically being there class.

Sorry for the epic speech! (And double post >.< )
Unfortunately I can't do any physical classes. I have no drivers license and I live on an island 30 minutes out from seatle. It costs me 25 dollars just to get on the island even though I can leave for free and I can't afford to pay 25 bucks every day to go to classes, so online is really my only option right.

And I know that I'm not going to just jump into music composition knowing what I'm doing, fuck... I've been making music for about 5-6 years now and most of it still sounds generic and bad but I've noticed the quality slowly getting better. I've also noticed that I have more fun and get more involved in the mastery and production techniques, rather than the composition, which brought up the question, Production or Composition first?

Though I think now I might actually turn my first classes towards something that will make me money directly after walking out of classes, like Music Business and management, that way I can fund any further classes while at the same time gleaning knowledge from the people I'll meet and work with along the way.
AndretheXLR8R
AndretheXLR8R
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Advice about online music classes? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 11:38 PM Reply

By the way, those coursera free online courses are with the Berklee college of music