New Topic Respond to this Topic
TobyHearne
TobyHearne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Is my style likeable? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:52 PM Reply

I just took a screen shot of Tom Hanks on YouTube and decided to edit it with the YouTube loader still included.

Is it a likeable style? or is it rubbish.

Is my style likeable?

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Is my style likeable? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:03 PM Reply

As long as you can't provide a reason why it should be there, it's rubbish.
Also, just slapping some filters on isn't anything artistic either.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Kinsei
Kinsei
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Artist
Response to Is my style likeable? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 06:52 PM, TobyHearne wrote: I just took a screen shot of Tom Hanks on YouTube and decided to edit it with the YouTube loader still included.

oh god... oh godohgodohgod KILL IT, KILLITWITH FIRE

Or simply put. no I think it is rubbish and you should try and not filter rape things.

Lets take a bit of a step back. you seem to have alot going on that has really nothing to do with the actual art itself. These are the motion blurs, the graphic elements like the squares you have kind of floating there, plus you also have some color overlays everywhere. and then in the end I can't tell whats happening in the background. A bunch of picture frames?

You have everything too muddled and cluttered. It makes the piece look like a mess created by someone's first time in photoshop.
Try and simplify it, focus on the actual art and construction of the art. After that then some editing can be done to help reenforce the art rather than just tossing things in for the sake of some misguided coolness.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Is my style likeable? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:24 PM Reply

Taking a screenshot and adding shitty looking filters onto the image does not make it art or a indiviual style that's pretty lazy.

ManDeep
ManDeep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Is my style likeable? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:45 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 06:52 PM, TobyHearne wrote: I just took a screen shot of Tom Hanks on YouTube and decided to edit it with the YouTube loader still included.

omg dude yur so artistic.

Honestly, i don't even think you can call it a style. As stated before, it's just a few layers with different 50% opacity colors added to them.

buriedantenna
buriedantenna
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is my style likeable? Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 06:06 AM Reply

This could be a first step to finding a style. Some interesting combination of photos and digital painting could be good. I think you need to find a different way of integrating the photographic elements and work on the basics. Practice some painting, and try to think of a solid initial idea, what are you trying to achieve with the image? This looks like you've let the filters decide that for you. Also, crop the image down, there is a lot of pointless space around the character, don't let the initial screencap/photo dictate your composition.