New Topic Respond to this Topic
TomatoChips
TomatoChips
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 12:15:23 Reply

Lately, I've been snooping around on the web for a 8-bit music program. Could someone help by giving me a few links to some with relatively low prices?

Thanks

-TomatoChips

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 12:39:59 Reply

I recommend Famitracker

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 12:48:15 Reply

Musagi.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 21:00:24 Reply

There are LSDJ cartridges that let you compose music on your gameboy. It has a very user unfriendly interface much like Famitracker. It's quite a hassle to write music this way, and it takes the fun out of it for me, because it takes so much longer than I think is necessary. To others this is actual point of making music on an 8-bit console. Anyways the sound can be very good with Famitracker or LSDJ.

At 1/3/13 12:48 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Musagi.

Musagi looks really good. Much more to my liking. I didn't know it. I'll definitely give it a try.

btw this may be a little off topic, but are there programs like Musagi to make snes music? (And I mean more advanced programs than Mario Paint (Composer) and Advanced Mario Sequencer)

BBS Signature
GFRetro
GFRetro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 21:29:32 Reply

I use a bunch of 8bit VSTs. They're pretty coool

-GF Retro

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-03 22:58:00 Reply

At 1/3/13 09:00 PM, SourJovis wrote: btw this may be a little off topic, but are there programs like Musagi to make snes music? (And I mean more advanced programs than Mario Paint (Composer) and Advanced Mario Sequencer)

your best bet is soundfonts and whatever DAW you currently use, the snes didn't have a particularly unique sound engine apart from the built-in reverb which is pretty easy to emulate.

famitracker is good! milkytracker is fantastic for making amiga/atari st style tracks. deflemask or vgm music maker will do genesis/megadrive tunes. adlib tracker 2 is the go-to for soundblaster/opl3 music (and works just fine in dosbox).

if you have money to spend then you can't go past plogue chipsounds, it's the only good chiptune VST in 2013.

p.s. i am gay

TomatoChips
TomatoChips
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-04 11:16:41 Reply

I've looked around for a while, and I've seen people compose NES music with Musagi...

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-04 16:22:30 Reply

Famitracker is free. Unfortunately it has the crippling limitation of being a tracker.
Try it anyway. You can make some cool stuff like this.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Exceptional 8-bit music program? 2013-01-05 02:46:02 Reply

At 1/4/13 04:22 PM, sweet21 wrote: Famitracker is free. Unfortunately it has the crippling limitation of being a tracker.

it being a tracker isn't a limitation at all once you get used to working vertically

p.s. i am gay