New Topic Respond to this Topic
agatio
agatio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:20 PM Reply

A town 30 miles from the Newton massacre is trying to collect and destroy video games.

And here I thought Jack Thompson has retired. gg Jacky.

BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:23 PM Reply

This reminds me of another, similar event.

A town in Connecticut has gone nuts

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:23 PM Reply

I bet they're destroying Pokemon games for "encouraging animal abuse" or something.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:25 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 07:20 PM, agatio wrote: A town 30 miles from the Newton massacre is trying to collect and destroy video games.

And here I thought Jack Thompson has retired. gg Jacky.

OH, THE HUMANITY!

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Sheizenhammer
Sheizenhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:13 PM Reply

...But not violent movies, music CD's or internet access to anything a child-protection filter wouldn't allow through?

How fucking dumb do you have to be to think school shootings are so easily averted in future? Stupid hicks.

GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:25 PM Reply

You can't blame an inanamite object/idea for something that a human does or did, that's like saying that Judaism and Islam cause the occasional battles between them in the Middle East, it's not the ideals fault, it's the people who blindly follow them.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:31 PM Reply

They stood up to be counted with the enemy of everything America stands for, who gives a damn what they think?!

BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:33 PM Reply

They said theyre not trying to blame games, theyre just concerned that all violent media has a bad effect on children. Still quite stupid but not as much as you imply.

Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:34 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: it's not the ideals fault, it's the people who blindly follow them.

Actually, in this case, it is the ideals fault. Look up the term 'apostosy'. Then refrain from typing up inane drivel. They have no choice to be indoctrinated.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:38 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: You can't blame an inanamite object/idea for something that a human does or did

Would you like some of my Angel Dust?

BBS Signature
Angiki
Angiki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:39 PM Reply

This is all the NRA's fault.

insert drama here

I'm looking for the guy who puts the "rapist" in "therapist". Because I'm totally not him.

Also, MUSIC!! Check it out 'n stuff. {1}

GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:34 PM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 1/2/13 08:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: it's not the ideals fault, it's the people who blindly follow them.
Actually, in this case, it is the ideals fault. Look up the term 'apostosy'. Then refrain from typing up inane drivel. They have no choice to be indoctrinated.

Uhh, you know what I mean, you can't blame an inanimate object like a video game for something like a mass murder. What did it do? Sprout legs and tell the kids to go shoot a bunch of kids randomaly? Not everybody who plays a violent video is a phycopath is what I'm trying to prove.

also, in that case with religion, it's still the people, the people who exile other people for not believing in their religion, an idea has no physical effect on anybody, it's always the people.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:38 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/2/13 08:25 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: You can't blame an inanamite object/idea for something that a human does or did

It's the person who took it/ the people who made the person take it by shoving into him/her's fault, powder can't sprout legs and kill people with a gun.

BBS Signature
koopahermit
koopahermit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Melancholy
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:44 PM Reply

Go to the drive and bring in a copy of "Zero Day".

I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say.
"Man, fuck your logic." - HomicidialFrog
"Normal people. They're so fucking weird." - Xenomit

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:41 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: also, in that case with religion, it's still the people, the people who exile other people for not believing in their religion, an idea has no physical effect on anybody, it's always the people.

You don't understand. Their ideals are more than ideals. It's a way of life. They live by the ideals as it were food and water. There is a difference between ideas that serve as an opium and ideas that are recirpocal and unharmful in nature.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:43 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote:
At 1/2/13 08:38 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
It's the person who took it/ the people who made the person take it by shoving into him/her's fault, powder can't sprout legs and kill people with a gun.

If you get too much PCP you have no control of your body. The person's choice is limited to taking PCP. Anything afterwards could not be considered a conscious decision.

Therefore the effects (chemicals) cause the person to act involuntarily, and it can often result in suicide.

Thus, an inanimate object can be blamed for someone's actions.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:54 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:45 PM, Insanctuary wrote:
At 1/2/13 08:41 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: also, in that case with religion, it's still the people, the people who exile other people for not believing in their religion, an idea has no physical effect on anybody, it's always the people.
You don't understand. Their ideals are more than ideals. It's a way of life. They live by the ideals as it were food and water. There is a difference between ideas that serve as an opium and ideas that are recirpocal and unharmful in nature.

I see what you mean, but what i'm simply trying to say is something like a video game or an idea can't sprout legs and start shooting everybody, which is what is some people like these people in this town are doing to video games, they act like it's telling the kids to go shoot everything. Now let's get back on topic.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:56 PM Reply

The Violent Video Games Return Program offers up gift certificates in exchange for violent games, music and movies turned in during an event later this month.

Hmm... you think the media would just say violent entertainment. Guess that's not exactly catchy enough.

The collected items will then be broken and later incinerated by town employees.

Guess they don't believe in recycling either. I'm sorry I kept reading through this article and how this idea came about from a 12-year old. Now don't get me wrong, I do believe that children and teenagers can be smarter than the average adult, but this kid doesn't seem to understand what he's advocating. This is a lower form of fascism, except you're given the choice of handing over said video games.

I do like how this kid says that the parents should talk more with their kids and know what their playing. If said parents are comfortable with their kids playing violent video games then okay. Like I said kids are sometimes smarter than the average adult. Most adults don't even contemplate what these violent video games are and ignore the ESRB warnings.

The answer is not to destroy the video games though, that is a step backwards... it is a huge step backwards. This is all pretty much people saying "we know what is good for you and for your kids". Why are we still blaming violent video games, music, and movies for violent criminal acts instead of the criminals? Every time a tragedy happens, people have to point fingers. There are bad people in this world and the good news is, there are less and less bad people in the world and that number will continue to shrink as long as we love one another.

I have grown up on violent video games since I was 6-Years Old. My first violent video game was Mortal Kombat. You know what, my mother was outraged when she saw me playing it at the arcades. You know what she did? She told me that I wasn't allowed to play it anymore and dragged me away from it. My mother was one of the many concerned mothers who wanted the ESRB and was happy when it was implemented.

At 8-Years Old, I came home from school and saw my dad playing Resident Evil 2. My mother thought it was okay for me to watch and play this game because it was killing zombies and that was cool. I was 8 so I didn't understand everything that was going on in the game, all I knew was that you take the gun, you shoot the zombies, and they die. I had an understanding that what I could do in a video game or what I saw on TV or in a movie wasn't real. I knew I couldn't imitate it... my parents told me this. They talked to me as a child.

My parents owned guns, I was told NEVER to go into my parents room or touch their guns. They both let me shoot their guns. After I did... I didn't give a shit about guns and you know what. I still don't give a shit about guns. I don't get what the big deal is.

Now knowing all of that, I still do not understand why the finger keeps getting pointed at video games, rappers, violent movies, or whatever seems to have done something that people aren't content with and that is... CHANGE. This isn't going nuts, going nuts implies being crazy. This is an agenda, this is a belief, they don't know that violent video games, music, or movies cause violence, because if they did they would have evidence for it in which case they don't. They believe that violent entertainment causes violence. You can only know when you have the evidence, that's too much work to do. You can believe anything though, and that doesn't require a damn bit of effort. Just set up your straw-man and show him off.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate

At 1/2/13 08:54 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: Now let's get back on topic.

We are on topic. I know what you mean, too. However, the way you worded it was incorrect in its very nature. Ideas can be as harmful as humans can be. However, ideas are facilitators. Man is the instigator.

GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile

If you get too much PCP you have no control of your body. The person's choice is limited to taking PCP. Anything afterwards could not be considered a conscious decision.

Therefore the effects (chemicals) cause the person to act involuntarily, and it can often result in suicide.

Thus, an inanimate object can be blamed for someone's actions.

\It's the person'/people who forced the person to take it fault, the drug can't start destroying everything by itself.

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:01 PM Reply

They're retarded, violent video games aren't the problem. Retarded hicks with an itchy trigger finger are the problem.

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:10 PM Reply

That's it i'm shooting up some of these bitches.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:56 PM, Insanctuary wrote: Ideas can be as harmful as humans can be. However, ideas are facilitators. Man is the instigator.

FINALLY! It took you long enough, but you finally said something intelligent.

BBS Signature
Emma
Emma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Filmmaker
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 08:56 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: \It's the person'/people who forced the person to take it fault, the drug can't start destroying everything by itself.

BBS Signature
GrizzlyOne
GrizzlyOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:16 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 09:13 PM, EmmaVolt wrote:
At 1/2/13 08:56 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: \It's the person'/people who forced the person to take it fault, the drug can't start destroying everything by itself.

What? All I am saying is powder can't walk on legs and kill people with a shotgun. You have to takeiit first which is purely your choice or the people who make you take it.

Well, Insanctuary, you have your opinion, and I have mine. in my opinion in cases like a murder you can't blame something like a video game, also, every idea for stuff like religion was invented by a person, other people started to follow it and did what the person who invented the idea want. the idea can't sprout legs and start killing people.

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:18 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 09:11 PM, The-Great-One wrote: FINALLY! It took you long enough, but you finally said something intelligent.

What you call ''intelligent'' is a rare moment in time where I say something that hasn't been said before and can be perceived by you personally and understood in agreement by you personally.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:23 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 09:18 PM, Insanctuary wrote: What you call ''intelligent'' is a rare moment in time where I say something that hasn't been said before and can be perceived by you personally and understood in agreement by you personally.

Hmm... yeah you're right about that. What deems intelligence can only be perceived by what others believe as intelligent. Who are you and what have you done with Insanctuary?

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:07 PM Reply

Clearly, this is probably the most stupidest thing to a problem that I've ever heard of in my life, and I've seen a lot of strawman scapegoats before. The fact that a 12 year old kid suggested that either the kid was either bribed with whatever he/she wanted, or is a complete retard, because I have a hard time believing that the kid would give away video games and convince others to do the same without some sort of coercion. While there is no true answer to solving all of the mass shootings, putting the blame {and banning something for that matter} on something that has nothing to do with it, doesn't make the problem go away, it only makes it worse, take Prohibition as an example.

Video games are not the only medium out there that glorifies violence, and if anything, movies, certain TV shows and even music can be just as violent, if not more so than most legitimate video games today. When will people realize that violent video games and movies are not the problem, it's the person who done the crime, and if need be, the person who assisted in the crime itself? The answer is so easy to grasp and right in front of them, and they still aren't getting it at all.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Insanctuary
Insanctuary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:11 PM Reply

At 1/2/13 09:23 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Who are you and what have you done with Insanctuary?

Flushed him down the toilet with no remorse. Though, I do have remorse for the extra water bill cost to flush him down.

Slint
Slint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Audiophile
Response to A town in Connecticut has gone nuts Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

Good. Video games are the work of the devil.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.
You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.
ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature