Atyon
Atyon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:42 PM Reply

Hello everyone,

latelly I wasn't really satisfy by the sound I got and I have been trying to find a new shynthetiser to use.

Knowing that Im using fl studio (no thor :/) and mainly producing eurotrance / techno, what could you advice me?

PS : no nexus I want an actual synth

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:48 PM Reply

For starters... what synth were you using?

Also, somehow I doubt it's the synth's fault... most of the time when people complain about not being able to achieve good sound it's because the person complaining doesn't know how to properly utilize the tools they have.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Eurotrance... Sylenth1 seems like your best bet. That is my go-to synth for all those nice big saw leads. Well worth the 140 euros.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 08:57 PM Reply

Massive, Absynth or Reaktor by Native Instruments.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

Ultimate-fish
Ultimate-fish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 1st, 2013 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 08:57 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Massive, Absynth or Reaktor by Native Instruments.

^Agreed. Strongly suggest you take a look at these.

Also, was it you Renard that suggested what amp I should buy awhile back? I ended up buying a Microkorg xl XD

Don't eat drugs. Eat pizza.
I don't think I've ever jacked off to anything that wasn't mixed in with footage of alpacas - Entice

LichLordMusic
LichLordMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:35 PM Reply

For slightly harsher (and/or softer) sounds (and a fun to play with randomiser) Tone2 Gladiator 2 is a pretty solid choice in my opinion. The plugin itself feels alot different than some of the other software synths out there and it uses it's own HCM synthesis technique. Tone2 do offer a Demo version of all of their stuff which is time-based. While the others are nice I personally think Gladiator 2 is the best value-for-money with ElectraX (also by Tone2) being pretty decent as well.

Like the others have also stated above, Massive is another solid choice and worth checking out. Or you could fork out some extra moneyzzz and get a nice little Waldorf Blofeld.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:57 PM Reply

What about a Roland 303?

SUCK MY KICK

Atyon
Atyon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:40 PM Reply

I think i gonna give a try to the Sylenth, seems like a lot of people use it and are satisfied with it.
otherwise I have made a lot of homemade FX lately (i want my stuff to sound more personal) , using mainly 3osc or Sythrus, but so far it's sound pretty average (not bad but just not professional), what do you people use (if you made your own) for Fx?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:16 AM Reply

Depends on your budget.

I have a Roland SH-201. I have no idea if they even make them anymore (if anyone knows let me know), but it's ultra easy to use, and it has good sounds. It's on all the music I've uploaded here.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:22 AM Reply

I like Harmor and z3ta+ for their ability to do a wide range of sounds, but they can be tricky to use.

SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:34 AM Reply

Omnisphere is a good choice for just about anything, I've found. It's mainly good at awesome FX and all-encompassing soundscapes, but it has synths that can be used for pretty much any genre. I even found a super-distorted bass that I could automate to make some great dubstep sounds (actually going to be trying that).

Granted, there could be better choices, but a synth with 8000 presets is nothing to sneeze at.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:42 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 07:34 AM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Omnisphere is a good choice for just about anything, I've found.

I've heard Omnisphere is a freakin' beast, but just a question of curiosity: how many professional producers actually use it? The reason I ask is because I hear that Skrillex says he uses FM8, Massive, Sylenth1 and Gladiator Tone2. Swedish House Mafia and the individual producers use Sylenth1 and Nexus. David Guetta uses Z3TA2+, I think, along with Nexus and Sylenth1.

I never actually hear of any professional producers using Omnisphere for their signature sounds...

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:49 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 07:42 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I never actually hear of any professional producers using Omnisphere for their signature sounds...

I'll just leave this link here.

And this one too.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Nyancide
Nyancide
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:30 AM Reply

Why noone write about zeta+? This is big samples complex with many synth (and not only).

Ectohelix
Ectohelix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:46 AM Reply

All of them.

...just kidding...

...but seriously... why not?

I think a good starter synth is synth1-
http://synth1.com/

It's free, it's good and bendy, and you can learn basics up to more difficult/tricky things.

Find me on: Facebook, Twitter, or Soundcloud.

SkyeWintrest
SkyeWintrest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:29 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 07:49 AM, Step wrote:
At 1/3/13 07:42 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I never actually hear of any professional producers using Omnisphere for their signature sounds...

And this one too.

Step, you're amazing.

Also, iMortal, does it matter if a synth isn't used for an artist's "signature" sounds? The stock sounds that everyone uses get boring, it's so much more fun to use sounds that are more original and make your music unique. 'sides, if Omnisphere is a "frickin' beast" (which it definitely is), who cares what the 'standard' is? From what I heard, Pro Tools and Logic Pro are two of the 'industry standards', but some extremely good and/or professional composers use things other than that. If I remember right, you yourself use Ableton Live. Not an industry standard either from what I know.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 07:49 AM, Step wrote:

And this one too.

Bloody oath, ey? :D

At 1/3/13 12:29 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Also, iMortal, does it matter if a synth isn't used for an artist's "signature" sounds?

I was just curious. Step delivered.

If I remember right, you yourself use Ableton Live. Not an industry standard either from what I know.

I don't know... I mean, Skrillex uses Ableton Live, and his productions are amazing in sound quality. Gotye used Ableton Live for his hit, Somebody That I Used To Know. An Australian hit that was somehow very succesful in America as well... how, I do not know. Still, he used Live, and that wasn't an electronic production either.

And I had no doubt that Omnisphere is industry standard, with the amount Spectrasonics charge for it. I was just curious as to who used it.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

And Arctic Moon uses FL Studio, so I think this is a stupid argument. Use whatever the hell you like using the most.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 1/3/13 03:48 PM, The-iMortal wrote: And I had no doubt that Omnisphere is industry standard, with the amount Spectrasonics charge for it. I was just curious as to who used it.

Well, on that note I'm going to support Skye's recommendation for Omnisphere. You simply can't go wrong with it. It's so well-designed for both people like me who just want to browse through the 8,000 sounds and maybe do some simple editing on them, and for people (like OP, I'm assuming) who want to delve deeper into synthesis. It's a beautiful piece of work, suitable for any kind of genre, and while it may be expensive, when you actually consider what you're buying, it's a bargain.

Here's a pretty awesome video showcasing Omnisphere's sounds and here's another video showcasing some of its newest synthesis features.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:35 PM Reply

At 1/1/13 08:42 PM, Atyon wrote: mainly producing eurotrance / techno, what could you advice me?

not Omnisphere - you can get synths that are oriented towards these genres for much less. Massive and Sylenth1 are good ones I've tried, they are strictly electronic (so no need to install a colossal sample library with sounds you don't want) and fairly straightforward.

Atyon
Atyon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 4th, 2013 @ 09:56 PM Reply

ok I took a look at all what you adviced me and kinda make my mind. I check out omnisphere the sound seems awesome but it's too much orchestra / accoustic to fit to what I want to make. about the roland 303 it's just a too big investment (and beside i dunno much about hardware). the reaktor seemed incredibly awesome but to overcomplicated to handle, but perhaps sometime latter I would give it try. Finally I think the tone2 gladiator was probably the best for me caue it doesn't seems too complicated to handle but just to make some intersting sound.
Beside i change a bit my mind on nexus since i saw that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ariiPSjRjrE :D

thanks everybody

kopacetic
kopacetic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 05:55 AM Reply

If you're looking to create a synth for a techno song, I would recommend Sylenth1. It's an analog synthesizer that's great for making trance leads, and such.

If you looking to create dubstep, I would recommend Massive since it's a wavelength synthesizer and you can easily make wobble basses and such.

Hi! - I make music as a hobby. I also like anime and video games :3

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 06:30 AM Reply

At 1/3/13 09:46 AM, Ectohelix wrote: All of them.

...just kidding...

...but seriously... why not?

I think a good starter synth is synth1-
http://synth1.com/

It's free, it's good and bendy, and you can learn basics up to more difficult/tricky things.

yo this one is properly underrated imo
the unison is to die for, stack a few instances together for insaaaaaaane supersaws

p.s. i am gay

Hyphellux
Hyphellux
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 6th, 2013 @ 09:54 AM Reply

I agree, Synth1 can produce massive sounds! and it is free ;)

Sylenth1 is not an analog, but digitalanalog synth. For a more digital sound, I suggest the TAL-Elek7ro. For a real analogsynth, look for the arturia minibrute. It´s a little beast, with great new features. It uses just one oscillator, which you can use like three! But since it´s real analog circuits, you can´t save your settings in any digital manner - you have to write your settings down.

ohsnapitzjd
ohsnapitzjd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Which Synthetiser should I use? Jan. 7th, 2013 @ 09:49 AM Reply

well good synthesizers are roland synths or the yamaha DX series, its a little more old school, but its pretty awesome, u can even go with something in the korg series if you want