Be a Supporter!
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 19:34:33 Reply

With the wii u out I've began to wonder. How are Sony and Microsoft going to make a console as good as Nintendo's? After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online. So how do you think they will compete, will they bring out some amazing feature like virtual reality, or just keep it simple and better the online, graphics, games and hardware?

*Kicks your bedroom door open at 4:20am*
*karate chops your TV*
"Dude, it was just a prank. Come on"

BBS Signature
darklink4567
darklink4567
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 19:44:01 Reply

Knowing them... probably.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 19:44:11 Reply

I've read that the PS4, AKA "Orbis", will be an AMD A-Series gaming PC.

HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 19:44:22 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:34 PM, darkjam wrote: With the wii u out I've began to wonder. How are Sony and Microsoft going to make a console as good as Nintendo's? After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online. So how do you think they will compete, will they bring out some amazing feature like virtual reality, or just keep it simple and better the online, graphics, games and hardware?

I really think it's a matter of people are going to be loyal to their console. I grew up with Playstation and Sony so I'm probably going to get the Orbis (PS4). If they have decent launch titles then Microsoft and Sony will do fine.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 19:59:59 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:44 PM, Painbringer wrote: I've read that the PS4, AKA "Orbis", will be an AMD A-Series gaming PC.

If that's true, it'll probably be expensive as shit.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-01 21:28:46 Reply

substance instead of gimmicks?

Although, I do like the idea behind the Wii-U.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-02 14:49:18 Reply

That's usually the selling point for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don't have that, they just make better games so there must be something that their 8th generation consoles will bring out. Here's a thought for everyone, what if they don't bring out a console? It's not unlikely, it's not likely, just think about it then get back to me.

*karate chops your TV*

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-02 15:36:10 Reply

I think PS3 and Xbox 360 is good enough, why go any further?

but who knows, it'd be nice to see what they can do

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-02 16:02:09 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:59 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote: If that's true, it'll probably be expensive as shit.

Actually, by forsaking the "Cell" server processor for an inexpensive all-in-one mainstream processor, it would make it quite cheaper to produce.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-02 21:59:12 Reply

At 1/2/13 02:49 PM, darkjam wrote:
That's usually the selling point for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft don't have that, they just make better games so there must be something that their 8th generation consoles will bring out. Here's a thought for everyone, what if they don't bring out a console? It's not unlikely, it's not likely, just think about it then get back to me.

There's no way Microsoft and Sony aren't making new consoles. It could be kinda neat if Sega went back into the race, though.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-02 23:22:45 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:34 PM, darkjam wrote: With the wii u out I've began to wonder. How are Sony and Microsoft going to make a console as good as Nintendo's?

Barring a massive problem or glitch with either the new PlayStation or Xbox that would cripple them right out of the gate, one or more likely, both of them will surpass the Wii U. Now, the bigger question is can the Wii U catch up to either one of them, without resorting to exploiting gimmicks or having massive amounts of shovelware in their game libraries?

After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online.

Really, that's all they need to catch up to the Wii U and surpass it. You don't need to reinvent the wheel here, or go to something tacky to get to get sales. Not to mention that brand loyalty plays a big factor in all this, so it's unlikely that they will jump ship to another console in the next generation, unless there is either a game breaking glitch with their respective consoles, or a competitor has something that will revolutionize gaming altogether and have people getting it in huge numbers.

So how do you think they will compete, will they bring out some amazing feature like virtual reality, or just keep it simple and better the online, graphics, games and hardware?

Read statement above.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 05:46:00 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:34 PM, darkjam wrote: After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online.

Exactly how right there.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 07:34:06 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:34 PM, darkjam wrote: With the wii u out I've began to wonder. How are Sony and Microsoft going to make a console as good as Nintendo's? After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online.

Thats all I want, better graphics.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 08:08:51 Reply

At 1/2/13 04:02 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 1/1/13 07:59 PM, HikarutheHedgehog wrote: If that's true, it'll probably be expensive as shit.
Actually, by forsaking the "Cell" server processor for an inexpensive all-in-one mainstream processor, it would make it quite cheaper to produce.

Not to mention, consoles are usually sold at a loss anyway, I believe.

I'm not really looking forward to the next Microsoft or Sony console. I've already decided that I'm making the switch to PC gaming, which I guess I might regret, given that I've always been a console gamer. If the 360 and PS3 are anything to go by, the consoles are starting to becoming too close to PCs. They're no longer 100% gaming machines but instead seem to be cashing in on all types of media. Film, music and they even have Browsers now. I'm now at the point where I'd rather take the money that I'd usually spend on a console and put it towards getting a decent PC.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
CaveStoryGrounds
CaveStoryGrounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 08:32:28 Reply

At 1/3/13 08:08 AM, Dean wrote: I'm not really looking forward to the next Microsoft or Sony console. I've already decided that I'm making the switch to PC gaming, which I guess I might regret, given that I've always been a console gamer. If the 360 and PS3 are anything to go by, the consoles are starting to becoming too close to PCs. They're no longer 100% gaming machines but instead seem to be cashing in on all types of media. Film, music and they even have Browsers now. I'm now at the point where I'd rather take the money that I'd usually spend on a console and put it towards getting a decent PC.

I thoroughly agree. My only issue is I like achievements (a lot) on my 360 and couldn't care less for medals, trophies, and achievements on any other gaming platform. So my honest desire is to also transfer my xbox live profile over onto the PC gaming scene. If I could still get those achievements while playing on my PC than id through my 360 right out the window.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 11:12:38 Reply

At 1/3/13 08:32 AM, CaveStoryGrounds wrote: If I could still get those achievements while playing on my PC than id through my 360 right out the window.

I might be wrong because I don't know much about modern PC gaming but doesn't Games for Windows Live use your Xbox profile and add any achievements that you earn on PC to the achievements you've earned on console? I just don't really know a great deal about Games for Windows Live and most of the people that I've seen speaking about it online don't really seem to like it for whatever reason. But the ability to keep your Xbox achievements when PC gaming is still there, I think.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 12:47:33 Reply

At 1/1/13 07:34 PM, darkjam wrote: After all their consoles don't have these amazing new features at launch like motion control and a controller with a screen, just improved graphics and better online.

The next xbox will have kinect support without a doubt, and it's quite likely that sony will carry over move support too. The only difference is that they'll still be optional, not everyone wants gimmicks forced into their new consoles.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 12:50:21 Reply

On another note, hasn't sony been losing billions for about 5 years now? Plus the vita is doing horribly, we'll be lucky if they come back at all.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
MintPaw
MintPaw
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Programmer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 13:46:29 Reply

Better graphics would be nice, Microsoft could use parts that cost more that $0.07 so I don't have to buy three 360s. Also I wish they'd speed up connections, support dedicated servers a bit more. Anyone who's played MvC3 know it's completely unplayable online.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.
Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 16:25:04 Reply

It could be kinda neat if Sega went back into the race, though.

Just what i want to happen as well, however they realized that their consoles are good, but not good enough to compete. The PS2 smashed their dreamcast and that's what the ps4 would do to their new console, if they were to ever make a new console.

*karate chops your TV*

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-03 17:11:43 Reply

You want my thoughts on this? Sony and Microsoft are fucked. Microsoft wants to continue supporting the 360 with Kinect games and connectivity with other products (such as the recently released Smartglass tablet), while Sony is suffering huge losses with the Vita bombing last year. Meanwhile, Nintendo has a huge advantage by releasing the Wii U in late 2012, while Sony and Microsoft's systems likely won't arrive until late 2014 at the earliest.

But by then, the Wii U will have sold truckloads and garnered a great library of games. And since Microsoft and Sony are focused on delivering power, the systems would probably be at least $400. It'd take years before they find their places in the 8th gen, assuming they even do with Nintendo dominating both casual and hardcore markets.

Maybe I'm just a huge Nintendo fanboy, but I don't hate Sony and Microsoft necessarily. I just think the decisions they've made this gen trying to keep the current systems alive are going to screw them over next gen. That's just my two cents on what I think might happen.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to the ps4 and new xbox 2013-01-14 19:46:37 Reply

Rumor has it that both systems will nearly be identical in hardware.

Link.

the ps4 and new xbox